Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical restore a tri five wiper motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1930artdeco, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Hi All,

I am going to go electric for my wiper motor and I will get a tri-5 motor as it is a direct bolt in. Question is this, the seller states that it is a core, so where can I get it rebuilt or can I do it with parts that are available?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve not a clue and a good question. I’d suggest that if a tri5 wiper motor will work for you, maybe look into places that sell tri5 parts?

3. Did you understand the seller correctly? Perhaps he wants a core to rebuild, then sell to you.

Many rebuild wiper motors for sale, just search the WWW for one near by? Had mine done this way, but it's been 20+ years and I have no idea now who did it.

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call Newport Engineering and buy their system. It's the best you can do if you're going to keep the cable drive. All electric and no core charges.

5. scotty t likes this.
  6. no55mad

no55mad

George Primrose in Santa Maria Calif rebuilds these motors.

7. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Sent mine to George. Very nice.

8. No55mad,

do you have a his number or a way to contact him?

thanks,

mike

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Danchuk sells new replacements….

egads and gimpyshotrods like this.
  10. SPEC

SPEC

If you want the best use Newport Engineering wiper system!

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. is electric really that much better than vacuum? other than being able to work when the car isnt running, i dont see all of the other benefits, but this may be because i have never seen vacuum wipers actually working, all ive seen are 1950s adverts and brochures telling me they are silent and work well.

12. The electrics work great. Using the after market you will have an odd ball knob on the dash. However I’ve done many tri fives for people and can tell you how to use the original wiper knobs.

chevyfordman likes this.
  13. primed34

primed34

Electric wipers are way better than vacuum.

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

If the OEM is serviceable do that , if not Newport Eng . would be my choice . If cost is close , do the new unit . I don’t get people sometimes , no issue using modern drivetrain and brakes , steering, etc . But question stepping up to new wipers , they are just as much safety equipment as brake lights . Not saying this about you 30artdeco , just a rant . Build it to fit your needs .

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  15. Dave good points. I am just aiming for simplicity and cost right now. My personal preference is that if I can get a 50's piece of equipment to work on the car and it does the job I will use it. If I find a modern piece that is better I go for that. I will be using LED headlights and tail lights in the car for safety reasons. If the cost is more to get the Chevy part redone I will use Newport, if I have to use a different knob and switch etc. (from stock) for the Newport I will go with the Chevy. Just my thoughts.

Mike

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Electrics were stock in 55’s up. No need to go backwards. I believe he’s looking for repair or option which we are trying to do. I can garrentee that the electric add on in my 56 Ford with engine vacuum and help from the fuel pump is way better.

17. Oh yes, electric is better. Ford hung onto vacuum wipers longer than anyone else (well, except for maybe AMC or Studebaker), finally phasing them out in the early '60s. The main issue is because they're 'powered' by engine vacuum, as load on the engine changes so does the amount of vacuum. Drive along on the flat, no problem. Mash the gas or start pulling a long hill, they will slow down or even stop. Crest the hill and start going down, they can flap wildly. In hilly country you'll be constantly adjusting them for speed to compensate for engine load changes.

They were originally used mainly because they weren't electric. The generators of the day usually only had a 30 amp output at best, as add-on accessories became popular the charging system load got close to max. It literally became possible to run out of power under the 'right' conditions and have the car start missing or just quit when the battery got low enough while driving. Once alternators became standard, vacuum wipers disappeared...

427 sleeper likes this.
  18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’ll give you one to research , 64 -65 Era Tbirds , wipers were hydraulic . What the hell was the thinking process in this mess ?

427 sleeper likes this.
  19. 40Vert

40Vert

Rain Gear makes a real nice kit, not cables and installs under the dash making a little bit more room in the engine compartment. Not the easiest to install if your car dash is all done.

427 sleeper likes this.