Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects built lots of cars, but never a 32 roadster...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Nice install of the steering column. Don't give up on using a Limeworks column drop just yet. I have a Flaming River column similar to your Speedway one. I ordered a 4" Limeworks column drop to use and when I tried to install it on the column I realized that there was no way to get past the wire harness sticking out of the column mast. When my panic attack settled down, I sat back and gave this a thought because I really wanted to use the Limeworks drop.
    IMG_1471.JPG
    First you need to remove the end connector on the wires, mine had a GM connector. Make a note or take a photo of where each wire goes before removing them. I think I used a small screw driver or the end of a paper clip to reach inside the connector and pop out the wire ends.
    IMG_1470.JPG
    Next I took the loose wires and lubed them up with some dialectric grease. I fed the wires back down the inside of the column mast tube towards the bottom. I tied a string around the wires to help pull them back out later. With the wires inside the mast tube, the column drop can slide over the opening and the string will pass through the slot in the column drop. When you are ready, use the string to pull the wires back out and reinsert them into the harness connector.
    IMG_1480.JPG IMG_1481.JPG

2. SDS

SDS

I wish I could do that, the biggest problem is that they don't make a 5-in drop for a 1.75 inch diameter steering column. I think I'm going to design one in SolidWorks - with a cap like a connecting rod, and CNC it from billet aluminum (I'll blend all the corners & edges to keep it traditional looking)... Or, maybe I'll 3D print it from wax and investment cast

Atwater Mike, Stogy, pprather and 2 others like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Or use the real thing, got this at the CHRR swap meet, I was collecting pieces for my roadster long before actually getting my body.
    I made my own column so used the small end.

20180331_122738.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  4. SDS

SDS

I have a 1.75" column diameter - trying to find a suitable flathead Ford or SBC connecting rod

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. NoSurf

NoSurf

Looking good.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand it's not traditional to speak of modern fabricating techniques and equipment, however, I think a person should take advantage of what he knows and has access to. Make it.

chevyfordman, Stogy, SDS and 2 others like this.
  7. SDS

SDS

Doing it... designed in SolidWorks, 3D printing mockup now - once I've confirmed the design is sound, it'll get CNC machined
    from a block of aluminum
    PXL_20211231_213218884.MP.jpg PXL_20211231_213230293.jpg PXL_20211231_213304450.MP.jpg PXL_20211231_213411834.jpg

8. Anderson

Anderson

Very nice. I needed the same 5” drop for a 1-3/4” column for my last build, and ended up taking two of the drops from Hot Rod Works and welding then together. Wasn’t cheap but it got the job done!

Tman, 1-SHOT, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  9. SDS

SDS

Hot rod works, as in HRW?
    https://www.hotrodworks.com/
    Anything is easier than machining that thing out of a solid billet of aluminum - I looked on their website but didn't see any column drops - have any photos or further details?

Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  10. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

That's a beautiful design, I like the split clamp for the column. I wish I had the ability to design parts with CAD and do CNC machining, it opens up a whole new world of parts that can be made.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Anderson

Anderson

Sorry, don't know why I said that. They were from Limeworks.
    IMG_8060.JPG

brEad, shortypu, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  12. SDS

SDS

13. SDS

SDS

Last car I built, I did the same to make a 4 1/2" drop... except for that I band-sawed the Limeworks column drop in half through the waist, then added a band-sawed u-shaped aluminum extension to the middle. After grinding, sanding and polishing, it looked like it came that way (saved me from buying two column drops and scabbing them together too).
    I would do that again in a heartbeat, it's much easier than CNCing a whole new drop, but because of the wiring harness exiting out the side of the column, I need the two-piece cap on the bottom.

shortypu, 1-SHOT and loudbang like this.
  14. Not nearly as elegant as your design, but I used a 2 pc. shaft collar for the drop on my F-1. I didn't want to mar the stainless column. Filled in the blanks with mild steel and painted it. (bad cell phone pic) column drop.jpg

shortypu, Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  15. SDS

SDS

That's kewl... And goes with the style of your dash!

16. SDS

SDS

The first 3D printed model was a great learning tool - I realized that the drop is a little too much and that a few of the angles are off by a degree or two. I will adjust the SolidWorks model and print another one tomorrow...
    PXL_20220101_231217029.jpg PXL_20220101_231231075.jpg

shortypu, 1-SHOT and pprather like this.
  17. SDS

SDS

Today, I received a super glide spring from Posies... This is to replace the Durant mono leaf spring that was in the car. I'd heard quite a few horror stories from car owners and shop owners alike regarding those springs breaking. Anyhow I was a little nervous about riding around with my kids with that spring.

The lowest spring that Posies makes was specified to make the car sit about an inch higher in the front than it used to, and that's exactly what happened. It doesn't have that California cool rake stance to it anymore, but I think I might be okay with that - after dropping the engine and transmission down by one half inch the ground clearance under the oil pan was getting a little sketchy for our pothole filled bumpy New Hampshire roads.

Immediate difference that I can notice is that the split wishbones used to go slightly uphill towards the front and more of the front axle was concealed by the splash apron on the grill shell, but I guess I'll get used to it - the guy at Posies said it will settle out about a quarter to 3/8 of an inch... And then I could remove a leaf if I deemed it necessary. One indicator of how much the angle has changed is that when I originally set the car up and mounted the engine, the base plans on the carburetor was dead flat.

PXL_20220105_180256626.MP.jpg PXL_20220105_180312777.MP.jpg

winr, shortypu, chevyfordman and 4 others like this.
  18. SDS

SDS

Oh yeah, my headlights were aimed forward - this how's how much it's raised...

PXL_20220105_205003509.jpg

Bcap55 likes this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy

They said it will only settle 1/4 to 3/8 inch? I'd bet more like 3/4 to a full inch after you drive for 100 miles. Put a tape measure to it now and give us some real life testing results.

pprather and joel like this.
  20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it looks good from here.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Looks good to me.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Anderson

Anderson

I like it!

loudbang likes this.
  23. SDS

SDS

Thanks for the encouragement - I was used to seeing it the way it sent before.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed at that spring settles out by three quarters of an inch.

24. Nice work...sub'd

loudbang likes this.
  25. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Still has a great rake to it.

brEad, loudbang and NoSurf like this.
  26. NJ Don

NJ Don

Nice work so far Scott, keep it going! Maybe we'll meet up somewhere in the spring!
    Regards,
    Don
    PS: Is the windshield in stock position? Looks laid back a little.

27. SDS

SDS

Yes, it is... I was actually pretty happy with it that way before I slotted the holes to try to lay it back. I'm going to backfill the slots with hard epoxy and chalk it up to a learning experience - if I can keep up my momentum, I will reach my goal of having this thing on the road by late spring

shortypu and pprather like this.
  28. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

This looks really good. Your fab skills are far better than mine. Nice Work!
    I'm in the middle of one myself. Kinda learning as I go along with the help of some good friends. Its a Brookville full fendered body with a Pete & Jakes chassis.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    brEad, Tman, teach'm and 6 others like this.
  29. SDS

SDS

I don't know man, that transmission tunnel looks pretty good! Cool car

brEad and hot-rod roadster like this.
  30. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

It is pretty nice but someone else made it. Thanks

loudbang likes this.