Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Too much of a good thing? Owning multiples of the same car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mohr hp, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Let him know there's a Biscayne sedan delivery out of just east of LA that made it to Texas and would like to comeback.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did it have a 283 with a manual 3 speed on the floor and flat black? PM me info and I'll pass it along.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

It's weird. When I'm trying to find a certain year and make of car I end up with other cars, then the original ones I wanted show up everywhere. o_O

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Right!? Goes for parts as well.

Joe Travers and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I owned three '37 Chevys at the same time for a couple years

F-ONE, Boneyard51 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. firemangordy

firemangordy

My dad bought a '55 210 in '59 when I was 5 years old and I was hooked. 20 years later I bought a '55 Delray from the original owner and still have it. My daughter grew up in our '55 and when she was old enough decided she wanted one also. So we found one and built it for her. I've had several hundred cars over the years but always come back to 55's and 56's. I guess things that make an impression on you when you're young stay with you forever.
    Dad's '55.
    Dad's '55.jpg
    My '55.
    GNRS 2017-2.JPG
    My daughter's '55.
    IMG-6599.jpg

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Multiples. People ask me if I want another one. I tell them I already have one. A guy wanted to buy mine once. I told him; a buddy has a white Caprice like mine. He said no. He wanted a black one like mine. I told him; in owning mine for 36 years. I have never seen another black Caprice in real life. Only in pictures.

Bob Lowry and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. I only have 2 F-1's but I'm always looking for another.

F-ONE and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. desotot

desotot

I have a 31 A 2dr, and 3 49 mercs, one finished, and 2 on the go, and I would swap the A for another merc, but I would swap a merc for a 32 steel deuce coupe or a duesenberg in a second given the chance but I will probably keep picking up mercs because they make my knees go weak.

F-ONE likes this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    I would not mind having 14 of these, just like this one. Your Dad had a great car. It's just right.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've been guilty of having 2 or 3 of the same vehicle at the same time, and I've been guilty of building a 2nd version of the same vehicle a time or two.
    Some times the multiples find you, and sometimes you find them.
    Sometimes one was so much fun, after it was wore out, you just had to build another one.
    A matching parts donor can be a life saver.
    And then there is the "I like this model of this year car so much, I found a different model of the same year and brand and thought, why not?"
    Do we even want to cover the same car with a different build style? One for the street, one for the drags, one for the dirt track, one as a custom, and one or two parts donors.
    Some times there is that multiple year production time slot of a brand that gets us. The 46-48 Mopar cars, and the 48-56 Dodge trucks get me. There has been several of both of those groups I've drug home over the years, I have one from each group here now that I can drive. Gene

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  12. clem

clem

It may have been said, -
    If you have only one model of car, you can have a smaller parts stash.
    If you have multiple variations of cars, you need multiple parts stashes.
    So one model - saves space - logical really ! :D

Wanderlust and F-ONE like this.
  13. Boatmark

Boatmark

I can only afford one toy car at a time. If money was no object I have so many automotive interests I would have one of a LOT of things.

But to each his own. When I was in high school (78’-82’) a buddy’s family was all in with 61’-66’ T-Birds. The parents and three kids all had nice daily drivers. There were a couple of perfect convertibles in the garage that came out on weekends. There was always one in process restoration. Add in 3-4 complete cars awaiting restoration stored in the alley, and 10 more parts cars stored behind the building at the fathers architecture office, and the total headcount was usually +/- 20 T-Birds. All in town in a very nice Ft Lauderdale neighborhood. They bought fitted car covers in bulk to get away with all the project and parts cars.

I go by the Jim Croce theory: If you dig it, do it. If you dig it a lot, do it twice!

clem likes this.
  14. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Don't See A Problem With Being Predictable...Saves Thinking.... 31956103_2132695700079263_1609778777905168384_n.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

After having owned our 57 Chevy wagon Ive really grown to like it so much Id like to own a 2 door hardtop also before im done.

chevy57dude and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  16. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Just a couple more twins that I had...my wife just shook her head...but she supports my hobby,
    especially when I give her the profit from each sale.... 4 cars (2).JPG

17. I've had 8 of these p/u's, I guess I'm guilty.
    IMG_3347.JPG

18. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Here's my problem....
    What's my favorite old car? All of them.
    My wife is like this about dogs, goats and chickens. I ask her how many she wants.....All of them, she says.
    The bad thing about liking all of them is when you are into a project, you see something else...
    [​IMG]
    "Ooooh, Shiny!"
    At one time I had....
    2 Advance Design trucks.
    A '49 Ford Sedan
    A '50 Ford Business Coupe
    A '52 Chevrolet Business Coupe
    A 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 Victoria Club Coupe
    My OT '72 Chevy daily
    If someone has many of the same make and model...at least they are disciplined enough for "keeping it in the family" as all share parts and require the same expertise.
    I found I had to choose. You can't fix them all. It's real, real easy to become a hoarder. It takes discipline.
    Of course, all of those eventually left when my wife and I raised a family.
    Now I have 2 primaries...
    A nice 1951 Ford Coupe.
    A 1964 Ford Fairlane project.
    The Shoebox is flathead power...it's early '50s "early".
    The Fairlane will be SBF power with an automatic...It's early/mid '60s "late".
    Both cars scratch an itch.
    If I could only have one...The Shoebox.
    Please, though, please don't mention a '50 Rocket 88 Coupe....Ooooh Shiny!;)

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

All3 a.JPG
    All3 b.JPG
    DSC_0011Light.jpg
    So?
    What's wrong with having 36 Fords and 40 pickups?
    Note the two 36 Ford convertible sedans in the last picture... one stock and one hot rodded; there are only about 220 of them that survive including both models... slantback and trunk.
    I have kept the following one around to ensure there was some balance to my life.;):D
    IMG_5278.JPG It even has a BIG block Chevrolet!
    IMG_5280.JPG

Paul B, The 39 guy, Jibs and 6 others like this.
  20. In the 60's I had 2 Cords and a Graham Hollywood with the Cord Body, had to have them during my Cord Frenze.

21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

2 59 el Camino, 1 59 sedan, 3 56 chebbies, 2 67-72 p.u, and 1 32 3w. 1 ad p.u and more

22. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

like has been said , wreckers are a thing from the past .i try to get a parts car for whatever im working on . and i have 4 acres , so i dont get rid of the parts cars ,if i can help it .......buick bill nickname was given to me . three 50 buick sedanettes and a 4 dr. special . and a 67 gs -gs calif. and lark parts car- 2 ,64 larks and a ragtop special .also a 38 special . then there are the rivs ! also several way off topic late model drivers ..... im not sure if that counts .but they are all buicks for sure . .ive cut back though . oh and the electra with the 455/400 im gonna put in something ! i think i have said it before . i must be insane

Attached Files:

41 GMC K-18 and Bob Lowry like this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Living a tract house in southern California I have one. If I lived in the sticks I’d have many. But no wife, no descent lawn, dishes in the sink, dirty clothes on the floor, etc……. U get the picture?

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guilty! Have had maybe 14 40 Fords pass thru here over the years. Most always have two. Got real familiar with them and also stash of parts for one type is helpful.

25. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Indeed, these are very cool and very shiny! Definitely one of my favorites as well !

dh236.jpg dh235.jpg

26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

Now you've done it!!!
    I thought I was cured. Next thing you know, me and my 12 broken down Oldsmobiles will be living under a bridge down by the river.

mcsfabrication and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love that 50 Olds!!

ffr1222k, 41 GMC K-18 and F-ONE like this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have 3 36 Ford pickups if you include dads.
    We just keep ending up with them because we know about them. People find us.

29. Got any extras in XL???

30. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Guilty. I currently have three 1932 Fords and have owned seven 40 - 42 Willys over the years.