Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Basketcase old hotrod roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joebrownvw, Feb 6, 2021.

1. SPEC

SPEC

It's too cool it needs to be built.

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

So a quick update, pulled it out of the shed this weekend and spent a little time on it.
    Carefully cut the welds holding the doors closed and freed up the hinges. Found these
    20210913_183854.jpg
    Robertson screws! Suggesting it is infact a Canadian built car.
    Also grabbed a pic of the pedal setup
    20210913_184032.jpg

And I figured out some previous colors the car has been.
    Originally a ford green, then black with what appears to be a bright purple rear end! Then black and finally the red you see today

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, 303racer, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Cool you were able to get the doors open again. I look forward to seeing this one come together some day.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  4. Absolutely beautiful

Stogy likes this.
  5. That Brake and Clutch pedal mess looks to have started out 53-54 Ford car parts.

loudbang likes this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

The Robertson screws Don't necessarily indicate Canadian manufacture. Ford used these back then.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

About that Northeast rust, did you forget that the metal was thicker back then?! This is a project for the truly faithful, but it would be a shame to lose that dash. Carry on, gentlemen ( Love the mock up shot)!

8. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

Although I should be focusing on my other projects... I went to a swap meet and picked a couple more parts for this a little while ago.

Also spent some more time going over all the body parts I have and figured out a direction I want to take this project.

Cut out some more "braces" and the other door welds..
    I'm fairly confident in saying this was a Canadian built hot rod now. As I found a few more little tell tales and 'made in Canada' marks

Snapped a couple of random pics along the way
    IMG_20210924_180153_081.jpg 20210924_122929.jpg

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That solid cowl sure brings the body together...Are ya thinkin' Highboy, Joe?

10. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

Not this one.
    It looks to have been channeled around 3 inches in its previous life so more than likely going to go the same route again

stanlow69, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

Very good look to that car. It's only missing the bottom 1/4, plenty to work with o_O.
    I'd be tempted to neutralize the rust and shoot piss thin over reduced red over it for an almost transparent protective coating. May not be enough there to do so.

Looking forward to the build.

chopnchaneled and loudbang like this.
  12. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

Another unexpected update!
    I stumbled upon a super cheap 'stuck" Canadian 8ba on marketplace and couldn't resist it.
    Loaded it up, dragged it home and thought I would just quickly take a peek before I put it into storage.
    5 mins later I have a nice and free flathead! With pretty decent compression results. Turns out the trans was locked not the motor.

I already have an f1 crossmember and pedals, 39 trans, 40 rear end and almost enough parts to cobble together a rolling frame

20211001_113313.jpg 20211001_155039.jpg 20211001_185510.jpg

MRW1994, 101Scout, MBog and 21 others like this.
  13. catdad49

catdad49

And He Scores!

14. Squablow

Squablow

It's all coming together! Good to see.

15. It looks like the Motor is sitting flat on the Pan on the ground in your last photo. As an Old Silver Back I feel like I should mention this again. In most cases the oil pick-up is between 1/2" and 3/4" off the bottom. Some are less. We never know how much build up of Sludge is already there. Now bounce or even sit it abruptly on the Ground a couple times before you got your hands on it and that space can actually become Nothing. Even just pushed up enough to push the Sludge into the screen and you have oil blockage. This can happen without leaving any visual damage to the pan on the outside. An actual cart style motor stand or just wood blocks under the pan rail to the block is a really good idea. We never know how things are handled before we get them. It's always a shame to loose a good motor to something that simple.
    Best of luck and keep up the good work.

catdad49, vtx1800, R A Wrench and 4 others like this.
  16. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

Thanks for the info!
    I didn't realize how close the pickup was. I will be pulling the pan to de sludge before any attempt to start is made.

catdad49, Stogy, Sart156 and 4 others like this.
  17. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

Picked up a couple more peices to the puzzle over the weekend.
    Couldn't say no as they were just down the road! I actually have all the main components to start assembling a rolling frame now...

20211029_191353.jpg

18. I like the V-8 rear end. I'm sure you know the spring behind axle center line means a little work to a Model A frame to keep the tires in the wheelhouse of the body or moving the Body back. That's if your going to use an A Frame.

19. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

The rear end was virtually free so that's the one I'm using haha.
    I was planning on flipping the axle bells and running the spring in front. That way when I 'z' the frame it'll be a little less work overall. I hope...

catdad49, Stogy, sko_ford and 2 others like this.
  20. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

What a great start. Ive been there, its rewarding. Happy wrenching.

Stogy and Joebrownvw like this.
  21. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

Not too much to update here. Apart from the body now resides in my basement while I continue gathering parts for the build
    20211211_182923.jpg

22. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

can't kid a kidder...I know you have 2 bodies lol!

catdad49, Joebrownvw and loudbang like this.
  23. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

The guard fish are keeping a watchful eye!

Cool project, are you swapping the dash from the other cowl?

catdad49, GordonC and loudbang like this.
  24. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

I'm probably going to use the red cowl. Feels wrong putting it back to stock after all those years

25. The dash suggests it was a street car at one point. A lot of work to put that dash in a race car. If you are on Facebook try posting pics of it on my Canadian Hot Rod History page. Lots of knowledgeable Ontario guys on there.

catdad49, Joebrownvw and loudbang like this.
  26. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

I would have thought the same it is very crudely fitted but a windshield would have covered the ugly spots..
    It was definitely wired reasonably nice at one point too.
    I did post it up on that page a little while ago with no luck yet. Seems the history to this one may be lost forever

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

The under dash picture with pedals shows what looks like a '49-'53 Chrysler Products 6 volt regulator, makes me wonder if it had an early hemi in it..

catdad49, Jrs50, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  28. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

I have my suspicions about this too..
    You are correct about the regulator, 6 volt chrysler and made in Canada.
    The cuts in the firewall appear to line up With early hemi distributor, 6 volt electrical it does make sense.
    Unfortunately budget is a factor on this one. So unless I find the history it's getting a flathead. Well at least to begin with...

29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I dig all early engines, flatheads too :)
    Couldn't have been too many hemi powered, channeled red '28-'29 Ford roadsters with that dash running around Ontario back in the day, I'll bet somebody remembers it.

30. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

that's what I was angling at;)