Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this noise on start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

But then where will the bulk of your income come from?

2. I get paid regardless.

427 sleeper likes this.
  3. fordflambe

fordflambe

A few years back, I chased a clicking noise on a fresh engine to the point I pulled the engine and went through it again with same results.

Long story short, the mechanical fuel pump arm pivot was worn out (on a rebuilt pump) and causing the noise. Replaced with new fuel pump and noise went away.

Don't forget to check the obvious.

4. Interstate 64. Not much hot rodding going on. Hope everybody is enjoying their warm garage today while I work 20220106_154512.jpg lol :p

5. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Valve no ,spring and oil cap , yes . Good running engine with 15,000 to 18,000 miles on it . Not a hi perf cam but valve spring pressures set correct when set up . Revs to 5800-6000rpm easy . Stops pulling probably at 5300 rpm

6. I've not checked it, guess I can before I pull it apart, what's it gonna hurt right?

fordflambe likes this.
  7. Hell maybe it ain't the valves then, I appreciate it ;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. A faulty mechanical fuel pump or a bent or sticking fuel pump push rod can set up a clatter like a valvetrain problem. If you remove the pump, make sure the pushrod moves freely in its bore. If the rod is sticking it may be bent or badly varnished up. I think there's also a couple of bolt holes on the front of the block next to the timing cover. I think it's the upper hole that lines up with the push rod's bore. If the bolt in that hole is just a skosh too long and contacting the push rod it can make it stick. You can back out the bolt to see if that frees things up.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

So tear it apart already. We want to know what it is. Hopefully it's not the transmission linkage banging against the block after you pulled it out and tore it apart. LOL :D:D:D:D.
    Hopefully it something simple.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Didn't happen to leave a long bolt in the front holding the fuel pump push rod?

11. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Hey, I forgot all about that bolt. It and the fuel pump are good candidates. The push rod should be free enough to slide down by itself when you remove the pump. A longer bolt will hold the rod up when installing the pump ( finger tight). Perhaps whoever installed the pump forgot to take out the longer bolt and replace it with a shorter one when assembling.

12. Budget36

Budget36

Interesting, I just went in the shop, I can’t move the spring a lick on an assembled set of heads. I wasn’t expecting to either with 100-110 pounds on seat pressure on them. I couldn’t move anything else either.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I never used the longer bolt method, it was always a flick of the wrist for me.

14. I would guess that since 1955 no less than 500,000 small blocks have been torn down because of a bad fuel pump.

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And they were all out of Corvettes.:cool:

16. I wish I had time! I put the new fuel pump on it. I'm not saying the noise isn't in the pump, but the pushrod moved freely. There is a bolt in the top hole, but it was there when I had the engine running before I tore it down, and it didn't have the noise. 20220107_012416.jpg

17. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Was it a motor that is in running car or a set on the shelf ? Im asking cause I couldnt move most on a set of dry heads but could move them on both sides of the one Im working on . This motor doesn’t have rotators . Ineed to change the vc gaskets on a 305 today so Ill check that motor .

18. Budget36

Budget36

A head I pulled off a 160/170k miles Chevy 350 last year . What I wonder is how can a spring move or wiggle with so much pressure on it?

19. I work outside in a t-shirt in March if it gets over 45. My brother, when his wife would let him out, would come over with long johns, a thermal shirt, flannel shirt and 2 jackets over that. This is inside a garage with a heater going.

20. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I was only joking about tearing it apart. I do hope you get it figured out.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  21. I know what it is that's making your Noise.!
    are you Ready.................????
    Its the Fuel Pump & the Trunk Monkey nead's Feeding.!
    Do yourself a Favor & Put a Electric Fuel Pump On.!

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool;

22. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

There are two of the mentioned bolts. The suggested method of changing the fuel pump was to switch the bolts to hold the rod then put them back in their original location.

23. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i chased a oil leak that only came at higher revs, one day i spotted where someone ahead of me forgot to put the short bolt back in. oil leak cured. i hope your noise is something simple, good luck.

24. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Say 110 psi pounds per square inch , Im thinking since I’m not super human but the amount of surface area on a spring is small and certainly much less than half an inch so at 50-55 lbs its pretty easy .

25. OK I went out to the shop for a little bit. I can push the valves down with my palm. No rockers on the head. It's not easy though. I put the rockers back on, EOIC adjustment, 1/2 turn preload. Pulled the 3/8 bolt out of the front that is supposed to interfere with the fuel pump pushrod, fired it up, noise still there. Took the fuel pump off and fired it up again noise is still there. Sounds like the noise is coming from the distributor, but it's probably a busted piston lol. I'm at a loss. Guess it's gotta come apart.

Blues4U and bobss396 like this.
  26. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, SHIT... :mad::eek::oops:o_O:confused:
    Just for shit's and grin's, try putting another 1/2 turn on the valves and see what happens. What do you have to lose at this point??? o_O

27. Weak lifter maybe? I can't collapse them with the pushrods.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I've seen rotors that smack against terminals before. Is cap loose or not indexed correctly and or bad tune-up parts?

29. No it's all good, I've checked many times. It does seem like the weights are loose to me. When you wiggle the rotor back and forth they rattle. Pulled the rotor, springs are on them but they seem pretty damn loose to me.

30. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shit Man, I'm just kinda' graspin' at straw's, tryinn' to rule thing's out, before you tear it too far apart. :confused: