Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Too much of a good thing? Owning multiples of the same car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mohr hp, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Had a red head once. Then a brunet. Settled on long black. Aren't choices grand?

Ben

BJR and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  2. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Do not talk to me about '65 Galaxies and Dentsides! I have been resisting both of those for a long time...

Joe Travers and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have owned four 1949 - 1953 Chevrolet's over the years. if I had Jay Leno's money I would have at least 10 49-50's and a 1949 car hauler to tote them around on.

I would also have multiple 33 - 34 Fords.

I have owned 30+ old cars over the years, other than the Chevrolets most were just nice old cars at a good price rather than seeking a particular make and model out.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Currently own 2 '57 Fords, but I've had a '58, a '59 and a '59 Edsel as well.

It always works out where there is a stack. You own one of something, then you start accumulating parts for those kinds of cars, so you then own more of the cars to use the parts..... and it snowballs from there.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  5. I agree, sure has been my experience.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  6. low down A

low down A

there's where all the 65's are. a factory 2dr hdtp big block 4 speed is one of the few cars that i want that has always alluded me

7. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I always thought Robert Conrad was a douche.

Cosmo49 and desotot like this.
  8. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

To me having multiple vehicles so you have extra parts or your the guy that’s going to actually get them finished is great. I raced Impalas and had quit a herd at one point. I do however get frustrated with the guy that collects all this stuff and will never finish one and will never sell one or parts to help out people who Are actually going to finish one. I believe there was a thread about hoarding.

mad mikey and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

10. low down A

low down A

oh, and as far has owning more than one of the same vehicles i look at it like having more than one hundred dollar bill in my billfold as a good thing

Cosmo49, desotot, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  11. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man, you carry CASH?!?! Now that's traditional, n-oyce. I rarely if ever have more than ten bucks on me.... Lol.

buick bill and mad mikey like this.
  12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Not real cars but have every Korris Kars dime store 59 Fords,I have every color of the wagon,ranchero,2 door hard top.and convertible plus a 2 door hardtop police car that is the only one I ever seen. Playing with a ranchero at my grand parents house started it.

13. papajohn

papajohn

I currently have a 60 Olds convertible and a 60 Olds Fiesta wagon. I previously owned a 2 door hardtop, a 4 door holiday sedan and a 4 door sedan. Plus my son has a 60 Olds 4 door sedan and my buddy has a 2 door hardtop and previously had a 2 door hardtop and 4 door holiday sedan..
    That's a lot of 60 Oldsmobiles.

14. Variety is the spice of life.

Attached Files:

15. Greenblade

Greenblade

There are too many cars out there that I want to build to stick to one thing. But if there was another 2door '63 rambler for a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.
    I love the people who have and know alot about one type of car. They can be really useful when trying to figure out stuff. Farna is my rambler guy

Joe Travers, rockable, X-cpe and 4 others like this.
  16. For me when it comes to street cars/bikes/hotrods/race cars, one at the same time is my limit. In my younger days it was El Caminos for their practicality. Used and abused dozens of them. In bikes it was Norton Choppers. When it came to hotrods, since I only built T buckets or 27 roadsters, it was always the current one that ended up being the money/parts donator for the future one. Only time I ever had two of anything the same for any length of time was when I was Winged Sprint racing. One full on racer, and one complete roller. And that was only because when I was building them I was able to smooth talk my metal sponsor out of enough tubing and metal for two frames. Nowdays I only collect Colts. But again, I limit myself too only certain models and styles (fully engraved 1903's, 1911's and 2 1/2" barreled Pythons). When I find a better example, or something I like more, I sell and replace. I refuse to be a slave to the storage thing. My current project is an Easy Eagle, and I find that's almost stretching my storage philosophy.

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yep, four hard tops and one wagon! I have always liked the 65s…since…..well ‘65!:rolleyes:

Bones

Joe Travers, desotot and stillrunners like this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have been collecting them for years. My favorites…..among other Fords!

Bones

Joe Travers likes this.
  19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I don’t don’t subscribe to this line of thinking, clearly.

F67F096F-EAB7-4043-89F8-5DD13A61AC5B.jpeg

8D4D2E29-80F4-45E7-8175-EAEDB16F57EC.jpeg

20. One to drive, one to work on and one for parts …

21. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I’ve always been a little warped on Model A’s. Partially because I like their style and partially because 32’s & 34’s were so much more $$$. In the past when I found a smokin’ deal on an A body, I had a hard time passing it up. But in the last 5 or so years I’ve sold 6 out of my collection and am now down to a reasonable quantity of 10.

mad mikey, Joel W, Hamtown Al and 5 others like this.
    • Honestly Folks...I don't think the O.P. was bashing anybody, just pointing out the differences in collectors. There are definitely advantages to having a couple of extras for parts! At one time, I had visions of setting up one of my transporting trips out west where I could buy a dozen or so early 50's Chevy pickups & have them transported back to build maybe 7 or 8 trucks. It sounded great & my wife at the time loved the idea, because it kept me home more, but that marriage didn't last very long! LOL I might decide to do that sometime in the future, but even if I don't, the idea still fits in our hobby!
    God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have 2 61 Chev's one corvette and 1 Impala

october22.jpg 61.jpg

I have 4 tri 5 chevies and no 2 are even remotely alike
    5553.JPG astorian2.JPG denny5.JPG february22.JPG

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I forgot, at one time people knew me as "The Bug Man". I had 10 VW Bugs in various states of assembly, two or three running, some were nothing but parts. But my motivation was not to keep them all, it was get the best one I could find and afford for myself and sell the rest, which I did. In fact, I sold everything including my driver Bug to another "Bug guy."

Getting old, memories fade...

SEAAIRE354 and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. BJR

BJR

Just think if you had kept the first one when you got the second one, and then kept the first 2 when you got the 3rd! :D

1933_willys_77 likes this.
  25. BJR

BJR

If having a parts car counts, I have 2 1949 Buick sedanets.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Back in my youth one summer I had 13 '55 Chevy 2 door sedans sitting at the farm.
    Another time I had 8 454 powered Chevrolet trucks in my backyard.
    Was building a 454 for my '55 Chevy and just wanted to get a couple to use the best block,heads/crank etc.
    Once word got out I was looking friends started calling to let me know where they were.
    All ran but were Rust Belt clapped out body wise. I pulled the engines/trans out of all 8 and sold what was good of the interiors and scrapped the rest. Tore them all apart and chose the best for my build then traded off the remains to a guy that built engines for the cost of building mine.
    I recently got a email from a good friend/enabler about 4 '55 Chevy's sitting at a farm a relative of his owns
    I have said no more projects but....hurry up Spring!!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  27. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

j hansen and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  28. I was good, but THAT good.

Ben

29. I used to collect '53-'56 F100's as I had 9 acres. Unfortunately for me, I sold them all too soon.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.