Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 331 Cadillac engine build , looking for insight

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by draggin49, Dec 30, 2021.

1. draggin49

draggin49

I recently decided to have a shop build a 331 Cadillac for my 3w . It was an abandoned project that previous owner set up for sbc but I wanted to do something different . This will be my first Cadillac motor . I have read a little bit on here from searches regarding caddy motors .
    I was hoping maybe some guys with experience running similar engine might have some suggestions as far as camshaft , heads, or other parts etc . I thought I read that if I use a 1955 331 , I could possibly use later heads from a larger motor for better performance. I was thinking that with more compression, later heads , the right camshaft and a multi carb intake setup that it should make decent power . Not trying to push it to the max stretching every bit of power out possible , car will see lots of daily driving duty .
    I also had been looking at intakes and wasn’t sure if I’d be better of going 3x2 or 2x2 ? look forward to your replies /insight .

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Those Lard Ass Cadillacs could really move back then.
    That same engine in light 3 Window is pretty much a rocket.
    Any "upgrade" is really just for sound or looks. The big deal is having that engine in a 3 Window.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

5. vetteson

vetteson

'55 is the first year for the "bare back" block which opens a lot of transmission possibilities, however, none cheap. Most important consideration is to build a well prepared and balanced block (rods, rebuilt vibration damper, line boring, turned crank). These engines were never intended to be "rev" monsters, you are pushing a mildly built up engine to 5000 rpm. I know. The 56-58 heads have larger exhaust ports, but try to avoid '56 as cracking has been reported. With the larger port heads you can use Sanderson headers ($$$). Which brings up weight. These motors are heavy, a factory cast iron dual quad manifold with Rochester 4GCs weighs 73 lbs! Find an aluminum aftermarket, any combination. Use alternator and reduction gear starter, along with above listed stuff, a savings of 50 lbs.

6. draggin49

draggin49

Am I understanding right that only the 1955 331 can bolt on the later year Cadillac heads ? The earlier year 331’s can’t ?

7. TERPU

TERPU

Build it to stock specs. It'll be plenty fast, super smooth, and easy on the hard parts.

You don't treat these like a SBC.

All the best - Tim

Jet96, ClayMart and Barrelnose pickup like this.
  8. draggin49

draggin49

What rpm range do you suggest I stay below with one of these caddy motors ?

9. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

The most powerful of the 331's in the '55 Eldorado peaked at 4800 RPM. On average about 4500 is the max with the Caddy valvetrain. They're all about the torque.

TERPU and draggin49 like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the 331 in my 40 is internally stock with a Horne intake and 4x2's It runs as smooth as a gravy sandwich and has pretty good low end torque.

warbird1, Pinstriper40, TERPU and 5 others like this.
  11. Building a basically stock Cad eng, will give you great reliability and tons of torque and in a 3W you’ll shread tyres easily if that’s what you’re looking for.
    Once dressed up with rocker covers,valley and alloy intake manifold and a good set of headers show me a better looking setup.
    As said they are used to carting around a few tons+ of car in stock form and still get along well.

TERPU and kadillackid like this.
  12. draggin49

draggin49

yeah, I’m sure it’ll be plenty in a stripped down 3w . I’ve got a little over 350hp in my other 32 which im guessing is probably similar weight wise and that car runs really well . With traditional bias ply you’re pretty limited traction wise anyways .
    The 3w will just be a bit slower than the other . What would a rebuilt 331 make HP wise roughly ? 250 ?

kadillackid likes this.
  13. 210 is stated standard, better induction,a cam and headers would obviously help , more than enough for most in a lightweight car.
    As said, dressed up a delight either way.

kadillackid and Moriarity like this.
  14. LOL! :D

"Smooth as a gravy sandwich."

That's a new one on me. Got to store that one away in my mental archives for future use.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Moriarity likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here is another one for ya, the opposite of that is "rougher than a night in jail"

studebaker46 likes this.
  16. the 331 in my '46 was 10:1. Ran an Isky cam (about 260-280 advertised duration) and 3 deuces on offy.

If I were building the same engine today I would shoot for 9:1 or 9.5:1. 220 to 230 duration @.050 and lift in the .460-.470 range. I like a roller timing chain instead of a link belt. if you are not going to run it hard set it up with in the middle of the specs range. Run good tri metal bearings and if you can find them for it plasma molly rings are really easy on the block, otherwise cast iron rings will probably be your best bet. A 2x4 is actually a better set up that 2 or 3 dueces.

OK so now you got my ideas what are yours?

17. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

Mine is a 390 10:1 cr balanced with BW-T10 Halibrand QC and this cam in 33-window. 20211009_104906.jpg

Attached Files:

TERPU and kadillackid like this.
  18. Hmmm. . . . A gravy "sammidge" sounds like what they might serve you for dinner if you had to spend a rough night in jail.
    :p

All this reminds me of another word I found for the first time on the HAMB some years ago. It seems to have only fairly regional usage though. I'm going to have to work harder to spread the word in the midwest.

"Skookum"

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search/328377897/?q=skookum&o=relevance

A good gravy sammidge sounds skookum to me! As long as I don't have to go to jail to get one.
    :rolleyes:

Moriarity likes this.
  19. TERPU

TERPU

I keep mine under 5,000 most of the time.

I've done significant work to it with valvetrain, ignition, and clearances. Mine will easily spin to 6k. But I don't spin it like that anymore. While it will spin easily all the fun is from 0-3800 RPM. They pull like crazy and there is no reason to risk ruining a great thing.

Stock they are plenty. If you plan for off idle to 4k you'll have more fun than most.

20. TERPU

TERPU

PS - if you want an engine to spin up build a 327 Chevy. Also great engines. But they are two different ends of a spectrum.

The torque and smoothness of the Cad will win you over though.

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  21. and the sheer beauty of its looks :D

TERPU and Barrelnose pickup like this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah man, they are beautiful......

401.JPG 403.jpg

Dogberg, Jet96, draggin49 and 3 others like this.
  23. draggin49

draggin49

i think you’re opinion /ideas are very helpful since you’ve already built and driven your 331 combo for enough time to evaluate it and know the changes you’d make. I think a middle of the road build makes sense, probably get a little more reliability/durability over a build that is trying to squeeze every last drop of power out of it .
    I think I will try and keep the rear end gears kinda tall in the quickchange to keep the RPMs down since the motor operates a bit lower than your typical sbc .
    Plus it’ll make it a little easier to do highway and freeway .

24. draggin49

draggin49

Moriarity was kind enough to sell me his original 3x2 intake , gonna send it off for some polishing .
    07AA62DD-9A49-4438-90E2-8179452469A1.jpeg

25. draggin49

draggin49

85E48EF9-3206-4443-89AF-7DAB4CD41255.png So I had a spare gm manual style tremec tko 600 transmission collecting dust from another project , but I’m unsure if it’ll work . The only place I found online that had an adapter kit says it’s for 49-53 Cadillac 331’s . The 331 I recently purchased is a 1955 331 .
    Any caddy guys able to explain why or why not the pictured kit would work with a 1955 331 ?
    I was only considering this option due to having a spare trans on hand and my motor has later heads and should make decent HP/TQ and I know that the trans could take ANY abuse thrown at it . If I can’t find any adapter kit I could use an early 3 speed , just not sure itd hold up without having to baby it all the time .

kadillackid likes this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The early 331’s are an extended bell block while the 55 331 is not. The bellhousing in that kit won’t work for you

kadillackid likes this.
  27. draggin49

draggin49

ok, I appreciate you clarifying the difference . Back to the drawing board .

28. They are a thing of beauty on their own!

29. draggin49

draggin49

30. draggin49

draggin49

27DE1882-79A9-4DBD-BEE4-1544279FC425.png The same place offered this kit for 54 and later but it says for 365/390. So not sure if this would work. Thoughts ?