Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Drdave accidentally buys a Model A. Now what?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drdave, Jun 17, 2018.

1. LOL....I'm not sure Michelle necessarily sees it that way. Of course, at the beginning of this thread the A was likely going to be a flip and we see where that ended up. The bird will stay for a while and I suspect Michelle will end up putting a fair amount of miles on this one actually....I think see's decided Chic can't be the only lady running around in a cool old car to school pick up. LOL Ultimately, though, the bird is an investment we just couldn't say no to. When we were talking about it, Michelle said "I can't make that decision but if you are sure we can at least get our money back, I'll leave it to you." I told her that's like telling a junkie that it's up to you if you do that line of coke. Ha!!

Jrs50, brEad, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  2. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

That really looks like it’s in great shape, glad for you but now which car will we see at SK?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Outback and loudbang like this.
  3. Lol! The plan is the Lavender Lady (50 Chevy)....she’s never made it to the SK yet in the 5 years I’ve had it. Haha

Sancho, loudbang and OG lil E like this.
  4. Well, been a while. Spent the bulk of my car time over the last year or so putting a new engine and trans in my '50 Chevy and been helping my son in law get his grandpa's OT '69 Chevelle back on the road. Chevy is done and burning up the road, the Chevelle is still a work in progress, but I got a couple of free nights in the last few weeks to mess with the A.

Last night finally got the front seat nearly finished. As a quick review, took the seats out to redo for a "quick" lockdown project March of '20. Got as far as the cover for the front seat frame and it didn't fit. Once Mac's opened back up, I was able to talk to them about it and it turns out '30 Town Sedans have two different front seat carriages and, naturally, I have the rare one. They had me send it back and got it all reworked and back to me, which of course with shutdowns, etc., took a while. When I got it back I was elbow deep in the Chevy motor stuff, so there you go. Anywho, I still have to finish the tops of the corner pleats, of course, and a few other trim details and it's finally ready to go back in the car (if I can remember how to put the seat track back together LOL).

IMG_4249.jpeg

....and before you ask @stanlow69....pretty sure the Merc has jumped time, so it's currently out of service and likely up for the front of the motor coming off. :/

Sancho, Stogy, OahuEli and 15 others like this.
  5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the update, seats are looking too kool. I've been wanting to ask you what happened to it but I knew you had been busy.

Stogy, winduptoy, 1stGrumpy and 2 others like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Slick as pea soup! Hehe

7. It's still here. Thinking I might bring it to the SK this year instead of the Chevy....maybe the A will behave itself better than the Chevy. LOL

LOL! Funny, I would have never considered drab colors good looking, but they just strike me on this car and I really thought it was good looking when I saw it at the auction. I'm beginning to think that the paint is not exactly the same as the factory shades are "supposed" to be....I think it's just a bit brighter and a little less brown to it than others I've seen with these same colors.

Sancho, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. So does this mean that you will be trailering the "A"?

loudbang, guthriesmith and stanlow69 like this.
  9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You better be careful Dave. @OG lil E Ed might feature your Merc in the What Ever Happened To thread.

Sancho, drdave, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lmao

loudbang and OG lil E like this.
  11. Man Jim, you're too much. I haven't laughed that hard in a while! Better get on that Merc Doc (@drdave)! The Leadsled will be here before we know it! ;) E

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Once the seats are done I’ll take the model A up here to stay for a while. Seems easier than you finding room the tear into the merc lol

13. Bwahahaha!!! You guys crack me up!!

Yes, @1stGrumpy, I’d pull the A if I bring it to the SK….not enough free time in the schedule to putt a 4 banger from here to Dewey and back. Lol

Don’t worry @stanlow69, it’s still been out and about getting plenty of miles and is seen around here all the time, up until about 6 weeks ago….just not any more finished. Ha!!

That’s a generous offer @Tim you’ve seen my shop and know space is at a premium. Lol!!

Sancho, Outback, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

My new commute is stock A friendly and I’ve got an open spot. Just let me know haha

loudbang and drdave like this.
  15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm planning on the trek in an A to the SK. There should be two then but I will putt back and forth...I don't know any better plus it gives me lots of time to wonder and worry about the noises the car makes above 60 mph

16. Yours is a much better putter than mine! :) I can’t imagine how long it would take me on what is normally a 4 hour trip at 75 easing along at 40…which would be fine and dandy if I didn’t have to be back to work on Mondays. Lol

loudbang and Tim like this.
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...but you look good and fast
    that's all that matters

drdave and loudbang like this.
  18. Lol!!

I do plan at some point to hop up the banger a bit like we had talked about at Woolaroc. Probably a high compression head and maybe a downdraft carb…not because I think the downdraft would be better, but because a friend has a downdraft intake he got from the scrapyard waaaaay back when he was a young’un that he said he’d love to see on the car.

19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't take much to wake it up and downdraft set up can be part of the formula for sure....especially if you have a friend that can set you up!

20. I guess any little bit really would make a big difference….doesn’t take too many hp to make a big percentage improvement when you are starting with 40hp. Lol

21. Watch that Larry guy Dave, he will have you hopping up the A and driving it all over. :D

22. Well, seat isn't finished yet, but I finally found a shop that does radiator work an hour away (all the ones here are long gone). I had Monday morning off that I could make the trip, so I pulled the radiator quick to have the filler neck moved from the top to the backside under the hood so I can put the 32 grille on. May as well have it in the shop being done while the car is off the road anyhow.

radiator.jpg

Also....these came today...

bumpers.jpg

brEad, Hombre, Sancho and 8 others like this.
  23. 32’s have the rad cap on the top too. Is your shell filled?

loudbang likes this.
  24. No, the shell isn't filled, but the top tank on the A is flat across the front and the tank on a 32 is peaked in the front moving the filler forward about an inch, so the A filler doesn't line up with the hole in the 32 shell. I'm just making a plate to go underneath the shell to mount the 32 cap to. I like the look of the cap and it goes with the resto rod look I'm going for....might even go back to a flying swan cap. LOL

brEad, Sancho, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  25. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Really looking forward to seeing this at the SK, I think you’ve got the perfect stance but you really need to get the head and carb installed since you’ve got it apart!

26. dwollam

dwollam

Speedway sells a nice '32 cap that comes with the adapter plate. Works great, and not many $$. I put one on my '32 and also on my '34 Dodge shell on my '33 Plymouth.

Dave

loudbang, winduptoy and drdave like this.
  27. I though about that earlier today. I miiiiight do that now, but it would be my luck I wouldn’t get it done in time and make too much to try to get done right now. I seem to be good at that. Lol

I have the 32 cap and trim. So they sell a plate to mount that directly to the shell without latching the cap to the radiator?

dwollam and loudbang like this.
  28. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

'Bout time for you to get bored with my "A", stop sinking money into it and let it come to my house, ain't it?

Outback, loudbang and winduptoy like this.