Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '30 Chevy 3-window Coupe project. Some assembly required...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jamesl, Jan 3, 2022.

1. jamesl

jamesl
    from Tulsa, OK

Just picked up a trailer full of parts alleged to be a 1930 3-window Chevy coupe. Has a good Oklahoma title to that effect, at least. Lots of rotten wood but some surprisingly good metal. I'm not sure how it's going to end up, but I would like to keep it fairly original on the outside while modern underneath.

I haven't settled on anything yet. I'm really fond of turbo 4-cylinders but I know LS v8's are the current hot trend. It came with a straight six originally, and the late-model Chevy straight sixes look interesting.

I work slow and figure this should keep me occupied for a couple of years. It's a huge puzzle and will take a while to figure out which piece goes where and what pieces are missing...

frame.jpg pile 1.jpg pile2.jpg

Shitbox, 2Blue2, Okie Pete and 9 others like this.
  2. chopped

chopped

The hoods a 30 for sure.

3. Thanks for the eye candy - looks to be in good shape! Good luck with the build.

Stogy likes this.
  4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

not to be a kill joy, but i don't see the rear quarters... hope they are there somewhere...

5. jamesl

jamesl
    from Tulsa, OK

Both are in front of the roof section in the center of the pile.

Stogy likes this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

bad one on me... you got a hotrod in the pile...

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  7. Ghost28

Ghost28

8. love it
    tab A into slot B:D

9. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Nice kit car. The metal looks quite good for a 30 so starting from a good base. Have fun

VANDENPLAS, vic van leeuewn and Stogy like this.
  10. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

At least its got shape . When I received my 30 chevy 3 window, it was all rolled up andin 50 gal drums . No piece , except doors , were any larger than what could be rolled up and shoved in the oil drum . This is it on a 34 ford frame . Ive been driving it for almost 20 yrs . ED9F9AE9-1D19-472A-AB46-C045DFD882D9.jpeg DEA34E7B-1E92-4AAD-A263-75B7DA52C246.jpeg

11. jamesl

jamesl
    from Tulsa, OK

Sharp looking ride! Did you replace the wood or build a metal skeleton? My plan right now is to go with metal since I'm not much of a wood guy.

12. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Oooh big boy model kit! I love it!

13. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Metal , no wood . Its one of the most solid riding 30 era cars I have . I was going to install on a custom ( home made ) until the running 1934 ford frame rolled into the shop .
    I can see now where some rusted pieces I had should have gone . I had to use the English wheel and bead roller to fill in the empty pieces of my puzzle . I didnt have a computer then and the only pics I had were in the library . Come to think of it , it was closer to 30 yrs ago .
    One of these days I want to install the body on the frame I made and get a 34 fiberglass body on the ford frame . But ....too many projects

Okie Pete likes this.
  14. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Way cool project right there, I look forward to the updates.

TFoch likes this.
  15. Pete

Pete

I’m kind of partial to the Chevys of the 30’s

I bought mine in the same condition as yours.

Strange that these don’t really rot like tge fords,,,rather the wood rots and falls out
    9E54FF9D-EBD4-429E-8589-7EE2487FF6EF.jpeg

Jet96, Stogy, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  16. jamesl

jamesl
    from Tulsa, OK

Started cleaning up the frame. Sadly quite a bit of pitting along the top of the frame on both sides. Otherwise very solid. My first thought is to cut out the worst sections and weld in new material, then add some reinforcement elsewhere. I'm not planning a high horsepower car, but certainly more than the original.

rusty rails.jpg

17. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Just box it . It’ll be much stronger. Once cutting the original channel, it can get out of square easy with just the heat of welding . Make a jig to keep things square , even when boxing .

Stan Back, 2Blue2, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  18. Another cool Chevy project to watch! Looking forward to it :)

vic van leeuewn, Stogy and wheeldog57 like this.
  19. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a great pile of pieces to build a hot Rod from

Stogy likes this.
  20. Rusted Junk Garage

Rusted Junk Garage
    from Lacey Wa.

Very nice, have fun with the build, sure wish it was in my shop.
    RJG

gary macdonald and Stogy like this.
  21. 2Blue2

2Blue2

Really Neat-o
    Fun to See.

Stogy likes this.
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

GMs normally from where I see them have lots of rust in this part of the frame . The wood stayed wet and felt water against the frame rails . A great rust promoter

Stogy likes this.
  23. synchro7

synchro7

In 1969 I tried my damdest to buy a complete 29 Chevy 3 window coupe. But the old guy wanted to keep it, (Going to fix it up someday!)

gary macdonald likes this.
  24. Shitbox

Shitbox
    from Yubatuckey

If you need any help on what goes where I just blew my 31 apart so I’ve got a ton of pics.

loudbang likes this.
  25. jamesl

jamesl
    from Tulsa, OK

That would be great! One major piece of the puzzle I'm missing is the floor. If you have pics of the floor with the cowl and quarters removed, that would help. Also the outside dimensions of the floor pan. I understand it angles outward toward the middle and then back in after the B pillars.

I'd also like to see a picture of the bottom edge of the windshield where it meets the cowl. I don't have an obvious piece of channel where it would rest.

I'm moving pretty slow. The metal was in generally good shape for it's age, but it is 90+ years old. So, I'm busy replacing some rusty edges and rehabbing the doors. The door wood is in fair shape and may keep some if it. Amazing how much stuff can be crammed inside a door when left out in the wild for a few years...
    door crap.jpg

Jet96 and 2Blue2 like this.
  26. Shitbox

Shitbox
    from Yubatuckey

I don’t have any pics of the wood stringers or floor that the steel nailed to(aside from when it was together). But I’m sure I’ve got screenshots of some others projects. Is this what you’re wanting for the cowl/windshield?
    [​IMG] I’ll get some shots of the sheets for the flooring later. I’ve got a guy coming to buy a bike so it won’t be until later tonight. This may help also.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    loudbang likes this.
  27. jamesl

jamesl
    from Tulsa, OK

Thanks for the pic and diagram. Sadly most of the wood is gone. If possible, I'd like a measurement from the outside edge of the outer pieces 35 & 36, at the widest point. It's a huge puzzle with about half the pieces missing... ;)

loudbang likes this.
  28. Shitbox

Shitbox
    from Yubatuckey

All my wood is gone since it was infested with drywood termites. Lower quarter measurement from bottom of b pillar/b pillar is 46”. [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  29. jamesl

jamesl
    from Tulsa, OK

Great, thanks for taking the time to measure. My basket case didn't come with a floor. no doubt it rotted away long ago. Looking through the documentation that came with the car, I found these hand drawn sketches. body dimensions.jpg

nunattax, Jet96 and loudbang like this.