Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this noise on start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Is the spring also loose?

2. Yeah you can rock the springs, the valve stem doesn't have any play.

3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aw Hell Man, I don't know. Possibly when I get the Interior in and everything detailed nice. :rolleyes: I thought about doing a build thread, but over half of the pictures I took of the progress were lost when my old phone decided to take a swim. Naturally they weren't saved anywhere else! I'm kind of reserved about doing that kind of stuff anyway. (I know, I'm weird. :confused:;)) And hopefully we can get slightly stupid at the Reunion this year if everything works out!!! :D:D:D

4. It's fucking gorgeous man! Don't hide it from the world :D courtyard Marriott, Bowling Green. Car show is across the street on Friday night, double dogs and Montana grille are across the parking lot (that's the fat drunk guy in me talking:D)

5. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like everything is going your way Tommy. Glad to hear that!!! :cool::)

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. That was done back in the day so it is traditional but often swept under the rug.:eek: They were better sounding than the six.;) Go for it Lloyd and be different.:p

7. Yeah when we ate hot dogs together last year he didn't have any hair, now he looks like Clark Gable :D

Desoto291Hemi and 427 sleeper like this.
  8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I apprieciate the words of encouragement, Brother! I'm just kinda' bashful about showing my stuff, mainly because I'm my own worst critic, I can always find something wrong with it! :oops: (YES, I know, I'm fucked up...) But now I know where your gonna be hangin' out, I might just have to sneak it in the show for a little bit... :D;):cool:

9. Yeah you deserve a good vacation of hot rods, cold beer, badass drag racing, cold beer, hanging with me, cold beer, and ice cream :D

10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sooo... you're sayin' he's a handsome Mutha', eh? :D

11. Oh yeah, he's coming back around. Tough ol bird ;)

12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How in the Hell can a guy go wrong there? What could possibly go wrong??? LMAO!!! :p:confused::eek:

chryslerfan55 and Tickety Boo like this.
  13. Ashley has bail money :D

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Lloyd, have you tried running the valves with the engine running? Didn't see where you did that. Lippy

15. No sir I didn't.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Illinois' bad enough, I can only imagine what it's like being in the shithouse in Kentucky... :eek::oops:

17. X-cpe

X-cpe

Have you taken a screwdriver and pushed against the side of the retainer to see if you can wiggle the top of the valve indicating a worn guide.

18. Budget36

Budget36

That means you either have a very deep recess in the head, or an extremely short spring. Or could it be broken?
    Measure the width of the pocket or diameter of the spring, see if they are larger than stock and the pockets were cut to accommodate. Maybe they were cut too deep when doing so?

19. Selfish bastitch!

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.

20. Maybe... but would she bail your sorry ass out?

21. Damn big boy, you kiss your mom with that mouth??! This selfish bastard has gotta go spend my day out in a winter storm helping people that should've stayed home, what are you getting into? And yes my wife would die for me, unless she's sitting in jail with me :p

22. Yep, I think I posted that there is no movement in the valve stem

23. The heads are coming off and going to the machine shop. He also told me that he has a set of 461 castings with 2.02 valves ready to bolt on sitting there for $500. I might just swap heads. See what the sweet ass Mrs Ashley says. Let's go play in the snow, everybody stay safe out there!

24. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those 461's will probably be better with the tunnel ram anyway , they'll boost the compression up some. You'll just need a short waterpump and different alternator bracket's and matching pulleys... A whole other can of worm's to deal with, but definately not a deal breaker by any stretch. ;) Watch out for sliding dip shit's on the road today Brother! Stay Safe!:cool:

25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could be worse. You could be in SoCal where all the flatlanders go to the local mountains to play in the snow. They double and triple part on the main highways and side streets making it damn near or flat out impossible for emergency crews to get through on a call. With Ashley as your wing man - oops wing person, you'll get this issue sorted out one way or the other.:cool:

26. I vote to go with the 461’s. Dealing with no bolt holes isn’t a big issue to overcome. If you need to round up any brackets or pulleys for that swap, I probably have them laying around. I have also run that setup with a long water pump.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  27. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

I do not think thats your noise ( hoping im wrong) can you push the valve down with your hands ? Remember dont push too far or a retainer could come off . The reason im asking,is that I just checked aset of stock heads with a 390 410 cam and you could slide the oil shield easy

28. No you can't push down on the valve, or the lifter

29. Can you move the valve spring side to side?

30. People should just stay home 20220106_124538.jpg