Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buyer Beware.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mickeyc, Jan 5, 2022.

1. It's like reverting back to the old days, long before the 1-800 deliver my new parts, where we had to comb the wrecking yards, classified ads in the newspapers, and swap meets..ah, but hold off, the wrecking yards have crushed the old cars, classified ads in newspapers..not so much, swap meets?..covid over yet?
    Damn, I think there is a legitimate concern here.
    Hoarders of old car parts, time to let loose (even though, I know you're going to "use them someday").

reagen, Chucky, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Classic Moriarity comeback….

Baumi, egads, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Beware the Seventh ave. crud,:eek: the gift that keeps on giving.

bchctybob likes this.
  4. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

The trouble with making parts for older cars is it is a very limited market and you have to charge a lot to recover the cost of the tooling....Some people have reproduced the entire car but when it comes to the market very few folks can afford to buy them...And the grey hairs that really like them are going away...

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First it sounds Iike Drake Sr has some issues that a lot of our older parents have. Second it is hard to justify having some now slow moving parts manufactured and have a high percentage sit on the shelf for several years.

bchctybob, Hnstray and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its not cheap to do the running boards with upholstery these days, even if you could find someone, that really knew how to do it well !
    DSC_3461 (5).JPG DSC_3462 (4).JPG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  7. twenty8

twenty8

Sort of a catch 22 situation. I'm not too sure we will be able to survive with them either..............
    Most of the stuff for our hobby that is produced offshore is not made with us in mind. It is purely $$$ to them. Sad fact, but true. Exceptional hot rod parts are usually only produced by people with a passion for what we do. When we buy the other shit instead, we make it virtually untenable for this to happen..........

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just be happy you can buy any reproduction parts. Try having an out of the mainstream or orphan car that nothing is made for. You make other parts work, find used originals if you can, or do without....

osage orange, rockable, egads and 2 others like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- guess you will have to "change" your ways - how about all the money companies making money on charging 10 cents to carry stuff - gasoline prices going up fast and come down very slow?

10. mickeyc

mickeyc

Well guys my point is if you do see something that you think or know
    you may need for a project is to get it while you can. I did buy a set
    of the repo running boards from Drake a couple of years ago for
    a sale price of $800 or so. Now the boards are 1,500+. I came across a
    local fellow selling some 40 Ford new old stock and repo stuff for 1/2 price.
    I scooped up as much as I could including some new rubber covers for the
    original running boards on my coupe. A few things I anticipated needing from Drake
    I held off on thinking I could always get them at a later date. That
    was an error as a few of the items are no longer readily available.
    The same issue applies to some 32 parts I was wanting from Brookville
    Roadsters Company. Held off due to the high price. I usually bought stuff
    after an overtime project was finished. I also got some 32 items from Dick Spardaro
    before his company was disbanded after his death. I am grateful to Drake and others
    for the efforts they go to suppling a declining customer base.

11. birdman1

birdman1

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It’s very old story…..there is an old adage about it…”shirt sleeves to shirt sleeves in three generations”

Ray

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  13. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Guys don't worry about China. In 10 years they are going to have a major population problem an their economy is going in the dumpster

Irish Mike and loudbang like this.
  14. For mechanical stuff, I’ll look up my own part numbers and buy local.
    Doing an early Jeep now. Been able to find lots of stuff local.
    But finding those restoration pieces from the vendors we’ve been using for decades is gettin tough.

15. 5window

5window

Um, let's leave China and politics out of the discussion so we can keep the thread open, huh?

16. twenty8

twenty8

My comments in post #38 were not politically motivated in any way. I was simply pointing out that you get what you pay for. It will always cost more to buy stuff that is locally produced for hot rods by people that share the same passion. If we shop by price alone, we get what we get, and probably what we deserve...........:rolleyes:

Wanderlust, Hnstray and '28phonebooth like this.
  17. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

We will adapt, modify, and overcome. Hell the Cubans have been making parts to keep old iron going forever. If we want it bad enough we will build it. Won't be factory original style but I have seen some great fab work come out of small operations.

Squablow, LAROKE and 2Blue2 like this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This idea has merit. How bad you want it will help decide the choice, but sometimes you can "patch" a board with bedliner and splash mold pulled from a good spot. Once you coat press the waxxed splash onto the wet bedliner. Sanding and finishing is need but if there's nothing it's an option.

19. This is the reason for a few of my purchases over the past 18 months. And because I wanted avoid:

20. What's a "payphone"? 'Splain to me, Lucy!

PhilA and lothiandon1940 like this.

21. Imagine the fortunes that the offspring of these guys would be missing out on if their fathers/grandfathers had adhered to Harvard Business thinking of how to 'maximize profits and reduce expenditures'. The "new" business model and its adherents suck!

hotrodA and lothiandon1940 like this.

22. Prices don't upset me too much (unless it's obvious I'm being raped) as long as the availability and quality is there. Back orders with uncommitted delivery dates piss me off, just as much as junk products!

23. Picket the bastards! Get a sign, plant yourself in their parking lot, in the rain, and protest! That'll teach 'em!
    PS: Let us know how that works for you...

24. True, but China IS capable of building quality (look at how they dominate electronics, etc.), the biggest problem is that parts vendors don't demand high quality, only low costs so they can maximize profits. Capitalism at its best (NOT)!

51504bat and twenty8 like this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The reference to “maximizing profits” is a long standing and common accusation that has it’s roots in hypocrisy, envy and ignores basic economics. The latter explains ‘market elasticity’ in that when the price of goods rises, sales volume decreases.

For a vendor that means a balance must be struck between high enough quality to satisfy the majority of customers at a low enough price to sell sufficient volume at a necessary profit level to sustain the business operation. Not an easy balance to achieve. And, it requires taking a substantial financial risk upfront with an investment to develop and contract the manufacture of an inventory of the item(s) before you find out if you achieved the goal. And, of course, there is the ongoing need for a facility, equipment and personnel that must be paid for too.

As for hypocrisy, only he who consistently and intentionally minimizes his profits, solely for the benefit of his fellow man, can cast the stones. I recall an old adage…”before you condemn a man, walk a mile in his moccasins”.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    hotrodA, ottoman, HotRodWorks and 7 others like this.
  26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

One of my very favorites , when that came out my grandmother even liked it !

27. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Just like Kroger , if you don't have correct change , they round UP to the next dollar , SMH

Bandit Billy likes this.
  28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Thats a prime reason to be concerned , they'll then want what we have

29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Read and understand ! Well said !

30. figure8

figure8

like he said