Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Windshield without a frame, can it be done

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnson's Fab Shop, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Johnson's Fab Shop

Johnson's Fab Shop

E29B1F07-4FC1-4BB0-9137-AE96CCFEFDBD.jpeg Ultimately I’d like to have the option to swing the windshield forward at the bottom or back at the top as desired. That’s why I was going to run the ‘32 stanchions on my ‘29. Similar to this model A. In the end I’ll probably end up making a frame out of stainless

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    oliver westlund and desotot like this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

3. Johnson's Fab Shop

Johnson's Fab Shop

I’m leaning towards that option. It would be a fraction of the price.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check your local laws. In some places that could be a ticket and/or impound.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Just a thought experiment, what is the psi pressure from wind resistance exerted on the windshield at say 70 mph?
    Imagine laying the windshield flat supported only at the ends as you describe, like a bridge. Now stack sand bags on it. At what point does it fail? Does it support that psi? How many psi at 90 mph into a 15 mph headwind? Can it support that? Will it support a margin of safety of 100%? When it fails will it stay supported by the ends or will it come loose? If it comes loose where will it go?

6. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yep exactly.

Trailer queens for a reason.

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

This is true. I didn't think about this.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  8. twenty8

twenty8

OUCH...!!!:eek:

9. They made boat windshields without a frame and I have seen them on hot rods before.
    If you can work with lexan you can do it easy enough.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. Or folks can read what I posted in Post #10 where I actually have done this and it has been on the road for 15+ years and about 25K miles

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Trent's version with the "T" seal at the lower edge is getting support from the body.
    The op suggested an air gap along the bottom with vertical support only at the ends.

12. Mine did rest on the cowl but you could slide a business card under the seal if you wanted. With the modern Urethanes I think you COULD float it with no ill affects but it would look way to modern to me. In my eyes the rubber mellowed out the look a bit and helped the imperfections between glass and cowl hide.

Paul and twenty8 like this.
  13. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made a frameless windshield for my 30 A Roadster. I cut down the standard stanchions, then cut a groove in them to hold the glass. I had a windshield cut out of safety glass. Safety glass rather than tempered glass or plexiglass because it was safer and less expensive. It had a slight curve at the top and the bottom followed the shape of the cowl with a slight gap so it did not touch the cowl. Looked nice. Easy to do.

Tman likes this.
  14. Johnson's Fab Shop

Johnson's Fab Shop

That’s basically what I am thinking about