Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my '59 vette build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Jul 5, 2021.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Ford guy here , be gentle. What year vettes had the rear end housing like that? I thought all were independent?

2. any corvette up to 1972, yes please. The mid 70s smog boxes were no fun. & by the 80s, they were becoming the rich mans toy

3. I generally build '30, '33,'34 fords with Chevy, ford and hemi motors so.....I think the independent vette rear end started in 1963. I like my rear end better. I sent out the 3rd member and now she's 3:55 posi in the original housing.

4. This is a great thread on solid axle Corvettes. I bought a '62 Fawn Beige 340 HP, 3 speed car in 1964 with some left rear collision damage. Was in a garage on an alley and someone ran into it. Dad was selling it for his son in the Army. I drove it with the damage until '68 when I was stationed in Everett, WA in the Air Force. Next was Camarillo, CA where I finished the repairs and repainted it Corvette Glen green. Took it to TJ for a rolled and pleated interior. Slalomed the car regularly and put a Muncie 4 speed in it. Suitable 3 speeds were getting hard to find. Got out in late '69 and drove it back here. Painted it Corvette yellow. Then in the mid 70's I restored it to Fawn Beige in and out. Traded it for my '40 Chevrolet convert in March of 1979. It'll be 43 years in March.

Looking at the pictures of this '59 makes me remember how wimple and easy these cars are to work on. Doubt that I would have to consult a manual to do one again. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

5. burgessdg

burgessdg
    from Morris, Il

You will love your '59. I bought a basket case in '82 hoping to trade up to C2 when I finished it. I knew the first time I drove it, I would never get rid of it. Still have it. It's a head turner even though it's just a driver. I have the original 283/270 with 11-1 compression, solid lifter cam, and dual quads. I never put it in. I had a 327/300 ready to go in when the body was done and I put that in to get it on the road. Twist the key, it fires right up, purrs like a kitten and needs no maintenance other than oil changes. When I think about putting the 283 in, I then think... why?

6. Fat fingers?? I think you hit the 7 insread of 6. IRS started in 63.
    That is if you were responding to the post right above yours about the IRS

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  7. 59 corvette chrome bumper install1.jpg 59 corvette headlight install1.jpg 59 corvette headlight install2.jpg 59 corvette headlight install3.jpg 59 corvette headlight install4.jpg 59 corvette headlight install5.jpg

Attached Files:

8. 59 chrome grille install.jpg 59 chrome grille install1.jpg 59 chrome grille install2.jpg 59 chrome grille install3.jpg
    putting the pieces of the puzzle together before paint.

9. this is what I'm striving for..... black and silver 59 corvette.jpg

10. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

In your engine and transmission picture it looks like you have the flexplate on backwards

SS327 likes this.
  11. good eye, your correct...thank you for the heads up. My buddy and I will correct that.

12. I believe I have 2 options......
    1. take it apart and turn the flywheel around
    2. shim the converter back into its proper depth.....

13. SS327

SS327

Take it apart and turn it around.

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Late too the party but add me as another jealous hamber. Then add in your shop with room for a chair and I am Hulk green .:D Enjoy

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That reminds me of a guy I know a few towns over that his Dad had a wrecking yard from back in the 60’s for a few decades. He said when he was young they had a 1958 and a 1962 C1 sitting for a few year . The ‘58 had body damage and the ‘62 had a blown engine and some trim missing. One day his Dad said he was tired of looking at them , told him to go out and cut up the body and frames and make some room . He said anytime he thinks about those Vettes it could make him cry.

Algoma56 likes this.
  16. v8flat44

v8flat44

It's gonna be NICE. Had 2 4s on my Panama Yellow 58 & was so much fun when that second quad kicked in. Really nice !!!

17. thanks v8flat44

18. off to the paint shop.... '59 vette off to paint.jpg '59 vette off to paint1.jpg '59 vette off to paint2.jpg '59 vette off to paint3.jpg '59 vette off to paint4.jpg

19. cabong

cabong

What's the grey chunk attached to the back of that great looking small block ??

20. beefed up glide!!

21. Am I seeing a 37-38 Willys nose in one of the pics? :)

22. you guys are something else, you remind me of my classic car insurance company. I always have to be aware of the background when I send them pics of cars I want insured. And yes, its the nose of a "37 Willys. I'm surprised you couldn't see under the care cover of the car next to it , also a complete running, driving '37 Willys 4dr.

23. SS327

SS327

2345.coupe likes this.
  24. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Just saw this post for the first time. Count me in with the jealous group. Love your car!

25. thanks NashRodMan,

26. base coat/clear coat 59 corvette base-clear.jpg 59 corvette base-clear1.jpg 59 corvette base-clear2.jpg 59 corvette base-clear3.jpg 59 corvette base-clear4.jpg 59 corvette base-clear5.jpg