Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead 3 bolt vs 4 bolt intake manifold?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old school rodder, Jan 4, 2022.

1. old school rodder

old school rodder

I've routinely discarded the stock single carb intakes. recently someone mentioned that either the 3 or 4 bolt single carb intake, they couldn't remember which one, might have some interest or value amongst builders. Before i discard some more intakes, is there any interest in either of these? I think i have 2- 4 bolt and 1- 3 bolt intake. I don't want to clog up the for sale page with parts that have little interest. I'm guessing these are late model (8ba) intakes based on the pile of parts they came with.

2. 42merc

42merc

Fords , thru '53 were 3 bolt.
    Mercurys, '49 - '53 were 4 bolt.

LWEL9226 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Mercury 4-bolt manifolds are desirable. A "small-base" Rochester 2G will bolt right on to one. The throttle bores are smaller than those on the carburetor, so they should be bored out to match, but that is not a difficult chore. I have done 3 so far myself with no problems. The 2Gc flows about 275 cfm, which is about twice what a 94 or 97 flows, so one of these on a Merc manifold is really a better setup for a stock to mild street engine than a regular dual setup.

I would think a cast iron version would be worth upwards of $50, while a Canadian aluminum version would probably command $200-$300.

3 bolt manifolds are a dime a dozen.

Hnstray and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  4. dwollam

dwollam

I've been interested in the aluminum Canadian manifolds as well. Thought I had seen 4 bolt Merc aluminum but lately all I've seen are 3 bolt Canadian aluminum Fords.

Dave

5. old school rodder

old school rodder

great info Tubman, just what i needed. maybe i'll clean up my cast 4-bolt versions and add them to the swap meet pile for this summer. that 2GC carb does sound like a really simple upgrade, now i'm gonna think about that all winter long.

6. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

My 8BA Ford as indicated by the head casting has a 4 bolt intake & a 2gc carb, previous owner claims it to have 4 " crank/ adj lifters ?

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because of Ford's desire to keep compression the same across the Ford and Mercury brands, Ford heads for any given year have a smaller combustion chamber than the corresponding Mercury heads. Thus, 8BA heads would be an upgrade on an 8CM engine.

Just a FYI; it took me almost a year to find a Canadian Mercury manifold at what I thought was a reasonable price. And be sitting down if you try to price a set of aluminum Canadian heads.

Hnstray likes this.