Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 Merc clutch linkage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desotot, Jan 4, 2022.

1. desotot

desotot

I have my trans unbolted and almost ready to slide out. The pin that holds the cross linkage to the cross shaft on the hogshead has been removed but the cross shaft doesnt seem to flex out of the way enough, I am guessing the other end of the cross shaft linkage at the frame may need to be unbolted before I yank the trans or it will hang up when it is halfway out. Whats your expert advice ?

2. desotot

desotot

I have never had a merc with a flattie before.

3. Mac VP

Mac VP

The other end of the clutch equalizer shaft slides over a pivot ball on the mounting bracket (bolted to the frame). It could be that the forked end at the transmission clutch shaft is a bit buggered and won’t just slide off the flat tab. If disconnecting the clutch adjusting linkage doesn’t free it up enough, you’ll have to unbolt the ball mount to allow removal. BTW your 49 Mercury transmission doesn’t have a separate hogs head…..the part that carries the clutch release shaft is part of the transmission gearbox casting.

Pist-n-Broke, LOU WELLS and desotot like this.
  4. desotot

desotot

Thank you, I guess I will loosen a couple more bolts.