Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 M47 pickup. Basement barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MTL Tony, Dec 15, 2021.

1. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

That is very good to know!
    I'll keep an eye out for that.
    Rear axles go on so it can not be sitting on a bucket, then likely wanna get that engine wired, plumbed and fired.

osage orange and Stogy like this.
  2. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Great find Tony - well done. You executed the finds and took possession the bikes and the Merc perfectly. Smart to get a garage rented pronto and eliminate the possibilities of losing the deal. My favorite detail is the -4* and snowing move day and your buddy is wearing a flannel shirt. Take off eh? I remember freezing my 5w-20 CA (here that means California) ass off in Green Bay Wisconsin and the local I was standing next to was wearing khakis and windbreaker. Hardy.
    The thread is outstanding, really enjoy following your progress. Also agree with get her running first then chop or whatever. Very wise.

Here's a little something for the "someday" file.
    Merc PU.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Hnstray, Okie Pete, ottoman and 6 others like this.
  3. Truckedup

Truckedup

That would be 0 C and not 0 F, yes? ;):D.... A great job you did..I just enjoy the shit of difficult vehicles moves..

4. My boy you done scored ( hit the jackpot that is).

5. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Went in and got the cab opened up and was able to clean out all the gross shit from inside!
    It smelled pretty strong of cat piss and gross. The floor under the seat looks great, gas tank looks good. The drivers side foot area is completely toast. The dash looks to be in good shape. The chrome bezel is pretty shot, but still useable. I couldn't get the vent in the front open but I suspect a little penetrating oil will get that moving. The glove box is actually in really good shape. The original cardboard like interior/roof liner? in there probably 80% in tact. I doubt I will keep that, but who knows. I also managed to dig through the parts and found two truck carbs, so I'll be ordering a rebuild kit pronto, distributor and cap and points and everything, a NOS set of plug wire caps (unsure of the brand), a fuel pump and what appears to be a alternator, maybe it's the OG 6v generator? What makes me unsure is the coil I found says 12v, so maybe someone started a 12v conversion on it at some point?

EDIT: Just looked it up and it indeed the OG generator. I'll start looking info for what I need to do to convert this to 12v as I'm building it.

Also maybe I'll need a new starter? Its definitely loose and been taken apart, but maybe that's just how it's removed, likely rebuildable by myself or a proper shop.

I also have this big black tube like thing that I assume is the oil filter canister? I'll have to look at the manual to see how it mounts.
    Lots of stuff going on and all of this is new to me.

Here's another picture dump sorry if some of these are blurry, some of them are stills from video...I'll have a YouTube video up of this whole process soon.
    PXL_20211230_195753469_exported_68663.jpg PXL_20211230_195916706_exported_2856.jpg PXL_20211230_195916706_exported_90302.jpg PXL_20211230_195916706_exported_20785.jpg PXL_20211230_194836120_exported_98578.jpg PXL_20211230_205303136.jpg PXL_20211230_204647346.jpg
    PXL_20211230_200344135.jpg PXL_20211230_200336991.jpg PXL_20211230_204623161.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  6. spanners

spanners

I reckon if you're going to use it as a shop truck/parts getter, don't chop it. You'll be in and out more often than a cruiser so you'll crack your skull on the door opening a lot.

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

To paraphrase Dolby Grey...”you can see clearly now the clouds are gone.” With th sun coming out I’d say that’s a good omen for your project! Like Fargo’s , Merc trucks are better because they were built in Canada. LOL. One of my flatties has C8BA cast onto it and it had the Merc crank, heads, etc. and this particular engine had never been opened up so you may get lucky.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  8. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I haven't tested it yet but I'd like to just rebuild the fuel pump before I even dive into it.

Are there any fuel pump rebuild kits for this truck available from napa? Anyone have a part number....our napa guy is less than competent at looking stuff up.

Or are there any Canadian folks selling them? All the US spots shipping ends up doubling the price of stuff.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

If you want to give it a try I could send you a piece of material to make a new diaphragm from, no charge. It's a little involved to replace it, the most difficult part being drilling and tapping the original diaphragm rod to attach the new piece.
    Of course this means you reuse the old check valves etc. so it's not a real rebuild, just an interesting repair. But it's worked well for me over the years.

Anyhow, if you want to try it, PM me and I'll send you a piece in the mail.

Stogy, MTL Tony and warhorseracing like this.
  10. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Thanks for this offer!! I'll see how far I get and I might very well take you up on that!

Stogy likes this.
  11. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Anyone wanna help me out and tell me what this bracket is in the bottom middle of this image?!? There are two of them!
    PXL_20211231_224736040.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  12. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Also found the complete horn assembly for the steering wheel!
    Very stoked about that.
    I had this weird 70's octagon wood steering wheel I was gonna throw on but now that I found that horn button I am gonna likely run the OG.

PXL_20211231_221543288.jpg

13. Is that bracket a colour that can be found somewhere else on the car ? Maybe part of a tilt seat.
    bracket.jpg

MTL Tony likes this.
  14. partssaloon

partssaloon

That is the rear cab mount. One on each side.
    MVC-007F.JPG

15. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Thank you so much!!

Stogy likes this.
  16. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

dog-power_8-2014.jpg Tony- Great find... my '48 has a souped-up Merc flathead powered and is frame-off restoration, courtesy of Rod1, Pitman NJ and a LOT of help from friends. I've been driving for the past 31 years ! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Stogy, kidcampbell71 and MTL Tony like this.
  17. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

See if you can find a copy of the Old Autos newspaper they have,it comes out every 2 weeks and is a canadian based publication.It is published in Ontario,google it and you should be able to find it.It is a good source of canadian stuff. harvey

Stogy, Toms Dogs and MTL Tony like this.
  18. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Had quite a haul today that I'm very excited about. The original seats in these are pretty rare from what I can tell. A guy made a very, very vague post about having Ford parts on FB marketplace so I messaged him asking if I could come take a look. He said he had a seat so I rented a truck and hit the bank on the way.
    Grabbed an original seat, transmission tunnel cover, radiator fan shroud...all pieces I was missing. He also had the chrome bezel for around the instrument panel which is great because mine was in very rough shape

Last thing I KNOW I'm missing for this truck that I hope to not have to buy new is the starter plate.
    Here's some pics of today's haul. I'll toss the seat in the cab for pics next time I'm in the shop....it's a bit of a mess with stuff all laid out so I could take stake of what I have. The dude was a bit steep with his prices on everything but the seat. It was kind of odd. In the end I got everything for less than j was expecting to pay for just the seat so I'm going home very happy.

PXL_20220104_221333642.jpg PXL_20220104_221346769.jpg PXL_20220104_221316683.jpg PXL_20220104_221455708.jpg PXL_20220104_221535897.jpg

Carter, safetythird, egads and 6 others like this.
  19. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I also just finishing editing the video about pulling the truck out of the basement. It'll be on my YouTube channel in like two weeks, maybe three depending on what I get into over the next two weeks. I'm in the middle of a significant mod to one of my motorcycles that I literally stopped in the middle to deal with this truck, so that video might go up first. I'll post a link here when the truck video is up tho!

Okie Pete, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

MTL Tony likes this.
  21. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Great job Tony, we knew you could do it but your knockin it out of the park for sharing this with us, and we all need more tales of this shit.
    As for the bed, weld in some angle iron on the bed sides and front, then tie it all in with supports that are tied in with the bed mounts. Pretty sure you can find some hard wood up there.

Stogy and MTL Tony like this.
  22. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I start back up at work after the holidays off so things wont be going so lightning fast, but I am hoping to get in tomorrow night and mount the rear suspension on the frame.
    I started to get into it and realized my grease gun wasn't in the new garage so didn't wanna slam everything together without it. I did lay out all the bolts and I have all the parts I need though! so hopefully next time I leave the garage it'll be sitting on all four of its own wheels....and not an empty five gallon paint bucket in the back.
    Then I can start in on the motor, I found a starter plate locally today and I think that was the last big piece missing to hear this motor roar. I just gotta grab some spark plug wires and rebuild the carb with the kit that I picked up yesterday and start some very basic wiring to see if it will fire off.

so progress is happening, just a lot more running around getting things together than I wanted...but its all part of the process!

egads, warhorseracing, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. atch

atch

I've got a buddy that rides his H-D in a tee shirt when I'm looking like the Michelin man. Some folks just take the cold better than others.

[​IMG]

If you decide to chop the top I've got extra door tops that will be a big help. You can have them; no charge. When I chopped the top on Clarence (see avatar) someone gave me a set of extra door tops. It really made the chop a lot easier. I don't know how to ship from US (Missouri) to Canada. I'm sure that it can be done though.

You scored big time with that trans cover. Most of them that I've seen are rusted through right where your right heel sits.

I don't recall seeing whether you found the glove box door. If you don't have it I know where some are in a salvage yard not too far from here.

24. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

He had a couple trans covers and somehow I convinced him to give me the one in the best condition!!!
    I appreciate the door top offer, but I don't foresee any chopping within the next couple years at all. I think it'll take some time before I decide I wanna do that kind of work, but also I don't have a proper shop a car can fit in which limits my options for major fab work. The garage I'm renting for this now doesn't have heat and very limited power.
    I do have the glove box door! The pic I post d was with it open to show good condition the glove box was in!
    I've been half obsessing over this and I'm really excited to get my hands dirty.

warhorseracing and Stogy like this.
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Assuming the flathead has a truck pan. If so you might want to consider removing the inspection plate to make sure the oil pump p/u isn't clogged. Easy to remove and cheap insurance/peace of mind. JMO

26. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Once I get the rear axle mounted the plan is to mount the clutch and flywheel as step one of getting the motor running.
    A quick look shows me that the oil pump is behind the flywheel, so thats not a bad idea at all.
    Though I do wonder if its necessary. this motor was rebuilt right before being stored and never run. the oil in it looks like it was just poured in and its been there for 40+ years. I will change the oil before running it just because i poured some stuff into the cylinders to make sure they weren't seized though.

I know on harleys I can pull the oil cap off and see that the oil is circulating in there. Is there so much oil pressure build up in these flatheads that I wouldn't be able to do that with these oil filters? The design of them looks like i'd be able to unscrew the top and look in and see it flowing.

edit: oh wait im looking at the diagram for the actual oil pump and not an inspection plate. clearly I am still learning about this motor/truck!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  27. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

You will not be able to open up that filter with the engine running, the canister is pressurized. Connect an oil pressure gauge before you start it.

warhorseracing and MTL Tony like this.
  28. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

So no build updates, I went to the garage and just organized everything because I never really did that after moving my parts in.
    BUT
    I found some locally sourced stuff. I was missing a starter plate...found it. Then a friend was driving in from out of town and directly.in the middle someone was selling the slats for the bed to convert it to a wood bed so I paid for that and my buddy picked it up on his way!!!
    Very stoked about that.
    The BIG update though is that I found a tailgate in Hamilton and I paid for that today, but it's being shipped so unless it's a very, very elaborate scam I will be getting that in the mail shortly and I will have an update for that with pics.
    In the mean time, here's what I did get!
    Probably get into the garage tomorrow since we are under a lockdown/curfew in Quebec and everything is closed on Sunday.

PXL_20220108_231421745.jpg PXL_20220108_235023112.jpg

29. dwollam

dwollam

There are different flathead starter plates so just make sure yours matches and lines up properly. If I remember right, they have different angles. Been a long time.

Dave

Hnstray and MTL Tony like this.
  30. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Yeah I'm fairly certain mine requires the flat one and not the angled one. This one came from a guy I got my flywheel from and he has the exact same year truck so it should be ok!
    I'll be bolting it in as soon as I have the truck on its own four wheels!

dwollam likes this.