Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 A coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by v8coupe, Dec 13, 2021.

1. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

Thanks, i had some RSJ's left over so put them to perfect use to clamp the chassis to.
    I bought it as non running and driving, so have pretty much been through it all, my Dad visited and completely re wired it too. We were going to take it to an event but as i drove it out of the garage the roll pin in the reverse idler shaft came out and dropped reverse gear.
    It now just has a few teething problems that i must get to soon. Its a 65 sprint.

2. Nice looking coupe! Heading in the right direction. Sorry about the sbc though. :D;)
    (said tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Stogy, Spooky, v8coupe and 1 other person like this.
  3. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Coupe is looking good!

Stogy, v8coupe and loudbang like this.
  4. pitman

pitman

5. Speccie

Speccie

Stogy likes this.
  6. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

A past co-worker built a very nasty 65 Futura (black on black). Stuffed a pumped up 351 with four speed posi. He had passed away early from prostate cancer and the family sold the car. I see the car from time to time and think of him a lot. He was a great fabricator.

7. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

Progress has been a little slow but a couple of jobs can be ticked off the list.
    I positioned the engine and gearbox where I was happy and made the mounts up. The gearbox mount bolts in so I can remove the gearbox easily.
    Next up is sorting the rear axle spring perches.
    IMG_8973.JPG IMG_8983.JPG

Tim, Jungle Jalopy, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  8. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

A quick update..
    Made up a crossmember to carry the ladder brackets and welded that in. Fitted the rear axle and spent way too long wrestling with the rear spring and shackle bushes (I realised one shackle was binding so wasted time on that).
    I split the front wishbones, welded in brackets for them to the chassis with a small gusset.
    Only thing left to do is weld the ladder bar brackets on and sort out positions for the cage cross members - to do this I put the body back on, so my next job is see where I need to sit - being on the short side means if I sit almost on the floor I cant see over the dash so will need a raised seat but then I think the top of my cage will have to be above the roof line. The cage is a necessary requirement to race at Pendine.
    Also picked up a cheap 305 which hopefully will get me on the road until my crate engine arrives.
    IMG_8989.JPG

Attached Files:

9. FiveNdime

FiveNdime

Looking good, you're a little ahead of me and my build on here. I like how ya chopped the top.

10. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

Decided to sort the firewall out so everything fits. It seems to have taken a lot of effort and im not entirely sure if im happy with the result, i dont have the time now to alter it again so for the moment it will have to stay as it is, if it bothers me later on i will do something about it. Im frustrated with myself more than anything. But looking at the positives, the engine and bellhousing will fit and the dizzy will be removable!
    I reversed the firewall, i was going to double reverse it, so cut out the beads and flip those around too, but in the end the beads being the "wrong" way round didn't offend me at all - but i did reverse the concave section to gain some more room. I obviously also had to cut the tank to make room for the firewall. I removed and refitted the rad support rods and the ford tag to the new side.
    I made up a recess for the pedals to sit in, this is the part that bothers me....

Attached Files:

Stogy, mad mikey, brEad and 4 others like this.
  11. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

My tube arrived for the roll cage, but they sent 2" so that delayed things until the correct size came. I did manage to get the rear end stripped down and taken to Hauser to fit a locker and new bearings etc.
    Finally made a start on the cage, havn't finished it but have made a start, its only tacked together so far and the rear legs arent on it yet.. Im well chuffed with it so far. It uses a lot of tube that's for sure.
    IMG_9041.JPG IMG_9045.JPG IMG_9046.JPG IMG_9047.JPG IMG_9050.JPG

Tim, lothiandon1940, brEad and 6 others like this.
  12. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

Another job completed, that's the chassis painted...

Attached Files:

13. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

This A is awesome! The chop looks terrific and a SBC should certainly be considered traditional sixty five years later. My last car was a '50s style East coast style A and I have regular regrets that it's not still in my garage. Enjoy.

14. A Boner

A Boner

The flatheads were about as old when the SBC came out as the LS series are now!

Stogy and v8coupe like this.
  15. clem

clem

that’s safe to compared to a lot of things we see on here………

v8coupe likes this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, you've done a lot.
    Nice frame fabrication. Ionia Hot Rod Shop has nothing on you. (very respected chassis fabricators here in the U.S.A. in Ionia, Michigan) They like to put holes in their frame rails, too.

17. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

I roped my Dad into helping so that has pushed things on a bit.
    I made some ladder bars and the rear axle built up, Dad sorted the new brakes and ran brake and fuel lines. Also the front end was built up, and the 327 and muncie were fitted.
    A mate took some measurements and went to get a propshaft altered for his project and at the same time gave them my measurements.
    Marco also reamed the new kingpin bushes.

Thanks to all that have helped!
    20220313_094948.jpg 20220313_103240.jpg 20220316_135100.jpg 20220316_141006.jpg IMG_9076.JPG IMG_9081.JPG

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Jeff34, kopperkart, Tim and 7 others like this.
  18. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@v8coupe hows's it coming along mate?

19. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Very cool build!

20. indyjps

indyjps

Great build, looking around at the pics and background in the shop, it's clear this isn't your first go round. Can't wait to see more.

21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Love it when things escalate quickly on a car. Nice job on the chop. Keep the updates coming!

lothiandon1940, Stogy and v8coupe like this.
  22. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

Things have been happening but all a bit quick to take loads of photos and update - Pendine is happening at the end of next week and i have a race pass - im still trying to get the car ready for it - i think il get there (just) and then i will update. Thanks for keeping an interest in it.

Thanks!
    Thanks, its my first full hotrod build, ive made a few school boy errors along the way, but ive been learning a lot as i go, i think it will turn out as i envisaged.
    Cool, thanks, updates coimng soon (fingers crossed!)

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    Stogy and brEad like this.
  23. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

One of my errors was the cage i built. The way i designed it wasnt upto spec, so i had start again on that. Very annoyed with myself, mainly due to the fact this build could only take around 6 months to get it done - mainly only weekends. Im not a pro welder or fabricator so im happy with how the cage turned out (second time around!!) IMG_9089.JPG IMG_9096.JPG IMG_9098.JPG

Attached Files:

Jet96, Tim, Jungle Jalopy and 6 others like this.
  24. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

Well, I made it to Pendine, thanks to the organisers for putting this great event on.
    IMG-20220515-WA0006.jpg IMG-20220515-WA0015.jpg

25. That is so sweet, and Pendine to boot.

Stogy likes this.
  26. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

Have had a great time driving this as much as possible throughout the summer, after Pendine, Gow was the next big event GOW! Speed Hill Climb | Vintage Hot Rod Association (vhra.co.uk) which is a fantastic event, so chilled out but certainly gets the adrenalin pumping.
    Also i have put the fenders on, and prefer it now.
    Went for an early morning drive yesterday through the lanes.
    IMG_93961.JPG

Jet96, brEad, shortypu and 14 others like this.
  27. Nice, practical hot rod, I have enjoyed the ride, great work- enjoy.

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful welds.
    Excellent build.
    Great hot rod.
    Thanks for sharing.

29. boutlaw

boutlaw

chop looks great, 4.5 inch chop, to me, is perfect.. Good luck with your project...subscribed..

30. AHotRod

AHotRod

Spot-On-Hot-Rod "V8Coupe"