Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. oops, love the jack point! At one time we were planning on indycar pneumatic on board jacks

loudbang, Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  2. Thanks, i like doing little things my way...even better when they work.:rolleyes::cool: JW

3. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Just found your build and read from start to finish. Nice work and thanks for bringing us along on your journey.

Stogy, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  4. You are welcome and thanks. :cool::) JW

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. Time to check that my seat height was right, got the top body section down out of the rafters, had a measure and cut a hole in the top and tried it out....Perfect!! JW
    [​IMG]

bathcollector, JamieUC, brEad and 5 others like this.
  6. I did manage to wriggle in and out that little opening. JW
    [​IMG]

bathcollector, JamieUC, brEad and 5 others like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

170 mph standing still...Just awesome...you could canopy, contoured windshield or just your helmet...whats your thoughts there?

loudbang, AndersF and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  8. The fairing will be modified to fit around and over the soon to happen roll cage and will be extended forward and will also have a wraparound front to the cockpit. The front will hinge at the front for easier entry/exit. JW

Tman, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  9. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

looks good out in the sunshine:cool:
    like the jacking point.

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  10. First off, Happy New Year from NZ down under.
    This year i ''hope'' to make some good progress!
    I finally did something with the rear radius rods. I cut the original axle mounts off and made a new mounting tab that will just bolt to a tab welded to the axles old spring pad. These rods are primarily for looks only but must ad something by being there. Still need to make a chassis mount for the front. JW[​IMG]

11. I made the rear mount point the same as the front ones but was not able to have then at the same angle. this bugged me a bit but i think i can live with it as when i fit a taller tire (650x16) i will be raising the axle up and that will flatten it out a bit.
    What do you think? leave it or mount it differently get it matching the front. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  12. AndersF

AndersF

The mountingpoints front and back need to be at the same distance from the beltline to look good in my eyes.
    If a matching angle is what you want you should modify the rods at the rearaxle.
    The front ones go more and less straight to axle when the rear ones go to the underside.

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  13. spanners

spanners

At full throttle who's gunna notice?

deadbeat, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  14. The mounting points with the rod ends are the same distance down from the body flange. Yes, at speed who will notice and there will be more important things to be concerned about.:rolleyes::D JW

loudbang, Stogy and Tman like this.
  15. As i have mentioned, Mrs W is also going to drive this so it was time to see if she can see over the body...well not as good as i was hoping so a solid booster pad under the seat cover will fix that. JW
    [​IMG]

bathcollector, Stogy, JamieUC and 3 others like this.
  16. ''Husband....this is cool" JW
    [​IMG]

17. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

I agree mounting points being level looks better....... dam there not level on my tank, that's gonna bug me now:D

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It shall be written...;)...I've seen them all over the place and hotly debated here...like a pilot and his flying tank...they made mods and noted the results...

26 T Ford RPU and loudbang like this.
  19. After much thinking, measuring triple checking i started the roll cage. I think i am happy so far. Now i have the two main hoops tacked in place the rest of it should come together quickly. JW
    [​IMG]

20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

diggin' the compound hoop bends
    Not easy to do and have it look good.

21. JamieUC

JamieUC
    from Swansea UK

Hoops are looking good:cool:

loudbang, 26 T Ford RPU and Stogy like this.
  22. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Been a while since I last checked in. Great progress!

23. Looks like you have done well to keep the cage low? Love to see all the tanks parts and fairing mocked up with the hoops. Kiwi Steve posted funny one the other day on another site which I agree with paraphrasing "hate to see an aero tank with an oil rig perched on top!"

24. I agree and it is all in the plan, and if you fail to plan...you plan to fail!
    One thing i don't have for my set up is a HANS device. Do they ad much if any to the overall length from the front of the helmet to the head rest? I have added about an 1 1/2'' from the front of the front hoop to the head rest on the seat, trying to have the 3'' plus from front of hoop to helmet. JW

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  25. I would go Simpson Hybrid over a HANS for many reasons. Plus, add some room, the newest helmets are bigger.

loudbang, Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  26. Will look into that and i have a new helmet with snell 2020 rating. The front hoop is only tacked in and was thinking of giving it more room. JW

Tman, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  27. Got busy and did some more on the roll cage, just the R/H horizontals to do and the harness mount point. I ran out of grinding discs and cut off wheels.... more very soon. JW
    [​IMG]