Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Oberhausen Ray-Gun Supercharger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Loveless Performance, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Hey guys,
    I’m new here. I am writing a short piece on the history of the Oberhausen supercharger company, including tear-down of an original Ray-gun style W2000A centrifugal supercharger. I am curious if anyone has knowledge to share or access to literature on Oberhausen. I am particularly interested in the connection between Oberhausen and Turbonique (appears Turbonique may have absorbed Oberhausen at some point).

I’d also like to know if there are any other surviving Belt-driven Oberhausen superchargers in the wild (not the electric-only models, there’s a few of those still floating around).
    Thank You!
    Aaron
    34253D0F-1A5C-40DC-93BE-982A3746C0CB.jpeg 5C51BC48-FFD3-43A2-8B27-EA3F83BB6D4E.jpeg C0C67BE9-15D5-4562-995C-C3A907E14FD7.jpeg 3F57418F-3945-491E-BB92-B15A80BA28C6.jpeg

2. The company made some crazy claims, not a huge surprise considering some of the advertising of the 1950’s... but 16PSI with 65% gains for this model? Mr. Oberhausen must have been huffing glue. List price was $590, close to $6000 in today’s money.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  3. Seems like they were way ahead of their time with the electric motor depending on its function. The modern
    Formula 1 turbocharged 92 cu. in. v-6 race motors all use an electric drive turbo to eliminate low speed turbo
    lag and poor throttle response. Was Mr. Oberhausen trying to achieve a similar result?

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. Flash Gordon’s maintenance guys could probably help you with information.

5. probably, but the math does not work out. Assuming 100% efficiency from a low RPM Flathead ford starter motor, that’s only 4hp to the fan which is designed like a flood pump impeller with almost 1/4” Of impeller wall clearance. I’m guessing it was a marketing wank like X-Ray specs. I could be wrong though. I’ll get this unit on my blower test engine soon and see if it generates any boost at all. 16lbs of boost is quite generous even for a modern supercharger.

6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Interesting, but...the electric motor seems counter productive, unless there's some sort of one way clutch or bearing in the system, so the electric motor can freewheel as the engine rpm increases and decreases.

Mike

7. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

The electric motor probably provides a greater torque boost to the engine via the belt than the compressor (using the term loosely) does.

Phil

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That thing is insane looking.

Deuces, loudbang and fauj like this.
  9. vetteson

vetteson

Love to find one.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  10. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

11. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

I can give you the smallest of leads of the existance of another, There was always one for sale at one of the big flathead collector/vendor/sellers sites at either Hershey or Carlisle swap meets,amongst a site of other flathead goodies.it was also tri carb but without the large tapered ray gun. It always made magazine coverage,It had red painted highlights .It was always something that caught my eye. Someone with savy magazine historical knowledge or search capability should be able to find the images, Last i remember price was $1500 from memory Johnny

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  12. I know the one you’re talking about at Hershey. That one was an Oberhausen 500 electric model. There’s a handful of those still floating around. Thankyou though!

loudbang and Asphalt Demon like this.
  13. Yes, I have it resting like that because it is a pain in the neck to press on/off.

loudbang and Asphalt Demon like this.
  14. Here’s a photo of it loosely mocked up on my Supercharger test-engine.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, Jet96, kadillackid and 3 others like this.
  15. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

It sits way back and up high! would that model foul on most engine bay firewalls? could it be for boats,I noticed in one of the adds above its mounted in reverse on the intake?

16. banjorear

banjorear

I was thinking the same

17. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

lf anybody is interested I saw that it's now being auctioned on the BAT website with no reserve. Wild looking supercharger.

rob-redm likes this.
  18. SS327

SS327

I have never seen or heard of them. They are wild looking. Probably not very effective though.

19. saw that on BaT .. crazy set up... wonder how well works ? interesting set up for sure.. Currently $2200..

20. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I guess it was a little more than a display piece. It sold for $8500.

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Electric superchargers require more power than that starter motor can provide. A buddy and I tried to supercharge his golf cart with a high end leaf blower.o_O It didn't work out well at all, so I started doing a little research and was actually surprised at how much power it would take.

We sure had a lot of fun that weekend, though!:D

egads likes this.