Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Jan 4, 2022.

1. I saw this for sale, I'm not serious about buying it, but I wouldn't mind shooting the ____ about it. It's said to be a 1928 Chevrolet National AB Landau. It's a 4-door. I don't know what he's asking for it.

What's the deal with the wheels? They aren't 'clinchers,' are they? Were these disc wheels a step between wood-spoke wheels and modern wheels?

Wood: Is there a lot of structural wood throughout the car that HAS to be replaced, or is it more in the top of the doors structure?

What would you guess he's asking for it? $500? $2500? $5000?

Anything else you'd like to add.

IMG_20220103_122741915[1].jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty sure those wheels were used as a hot rod upgrade on Ford T's in the era. You are probably right, the outer rim comes off the disk center.

That body will be ALL wood inside the outer skin. The wood kit, if one is even available, will cost more than the complete car is worth. I'd guess the value is in the chassis and drivetrain to a restorer. Probably $500.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I'd guess he's asking 5k. I got a coupe for free several years ago, it was missing almost all of the body, had the cowl, hood, and one front fender. I was able to get it running and driving, and sold it for $500. At least this one has a body....so it's probably worth 1500-3000, in today's wacko market.

having a title increases value considerably, mine did not have one, it was on a ranch for decades, so at least I know it wasn't hot.

4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Those wheels are factory original. I don't remember the years that used them. It looks like they use demountable rims so the tires could be one of two types.

5. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

I had a 31cpe 40 years ago, the wood Kit was $1800. Back then chevys had a complete wood sub structure that the body panels were nailed to.

6. Yup, those are stock artillery wheels, the body is made of separate sheet metal panels tacked onto a wood framework, and chances are he wants 3-4K for it.

7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Yup, it has a lot of wood.
    IMG_20200113_095341891.jpg

8. I didn't know that anyone would consider those to be artillery wheels.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I think they're steel disc wheels.

Fit 1927-28, from what I've seen.

10. There are two different widths of those wheels and rims- pretty sure that '27 and earlier are one width, and '28 are a bit wider ('29 and up are different).

Artillery/disc wheels... tomato/tomahto :D

Budget36 likes this.