Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What the heck is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OahuEli, Nov 25, 2017.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks again for the help guys, he got it apart and we're trying to figure out all the little gizmos. The hooked thing I believe is the vent tube but the thing with the coil on the bottom has me stumped. Any ideas? oiler disassembled resized.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. rusty valley

rusty valley

surely illegal in california

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Top end oiler or water injection like has already been posted many times. Now, fill it with Nitro!!!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

OahuEli likes this.
  4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

lol I think that ol stovebolt would come apart if he put nitro in it Butch. We're actually trying to figure out the purpose of each piece, kinda difficult because my Dad is in Colorado and I'm in Hawaii.

5. Tom Serna

Tom Serna

Sorry if anyone is preturbed for my reviving an older thread. But I was just looking around and saw one of these on ebay and was puzzled about it's use / operation. the vendor did not seem to know much more either. But I chanced on this thread after a few image searches and was enlightened as to it's purpose.
    But guess what else I found :

http://www.ampcolubes.com/products/

That's right, they STILL make em!

But if you really want to wow the original purists, you want to find the optional Mopar external oil filter setup, kind of like this chevy one :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and OahuEli like this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

They're not new manufacture, all the available stock today is NOS from the 1950s thru maybe the 1970s or thereabouts. Some feller bought a warehouse full some time ago and is selling them at the ampcolubes website.

7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Checking out that link, the prices seem pretty reasonable for early NOS accessories.

8. squirrel

squirrel

useless NOS accessories have no intrinsic value, so the prices are probably still a bit steep. Although as art, they're worth something.

9. It's taken almost 3 years for my pigeon to get to Hawaii with a reply. :confused:
    With just your photo to go by, I'm guessing that the coil thingie is to work with the vacuum to automatically control the leak and do away with the need for any tapered needle and seat/thumbscrew valve that everybody adjusted wrong.
    --I like your brother's fender cover shown in the opening post. Very traditional. Where can I get one? :cool:

chryslerfan55 and OahuEli like this.
  10. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yup. But I really like the design and looks of these old type of gadgets:

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, OahuEli and pitman like this.
  11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks for the follow up, they haven't got it sorted out yet, from research it does seem like some sort of top end oiler. Last time I talked to them they were still trying to deal with the cantankerous carburetor. Seems it will start and run, but if shut off, won't start again. My suggestion to find and drop in a 327 has not been received in an enthusiastic manner.:D

The Shift Wizard and loudbang like this.