Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 58 Chevrolet Delray delivery sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by DjNeil, Feb 21, 2016.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Bon Jour! I'm pretty sure the P.O. has been on here, and I believe the car was even offered for sale in the classifieds here. It IS a true Sedan Delivery. Should have a "D" in the VIN located on the drivers A pillar. Also, Sedan Deliveries were built, licensed, and titled as trucks, and were't even in the passenger car brochures. They were only in the truck brochures. And, the only 2 door wagons in 58 were Yeoman's; they also came a 4 door wagons. The Sedan Deliveries did use the basic Yeoman body and side trim, just a lift up gate instead of a 2 piece door like the wagons had. No rear seat, a single driver bucket seat with an optional passenger side bucket, or bench seat. 58's also had an "odd" rear suspension, sort of a triangulated setup. Au Revoir! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Seems to me the P.O. was asking questions about installing an Aluminum Powerglide in the car (truck). He went by cozmic here on the HAMB, just do a member search to find his posts.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. DjNeil

DjNeil

That's right,I traded a merc for it.
    I'm amazed he had no takers if it was put up for grabs on here.Lots of cars are heading back to the states from the UK and Europe now
    I keep getting told its a Delray and the Biscayne was never a delivery.
    Is this correct
    Thanks
    Neil

3. DjNeil

DjNeil

It's a Delray

Jack Wagon likes this.
  4. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I had a 55 and a 60 sedan delivery....and in both cars your are blind on the sides when driving.....make sure you put on a nice side mirror on BOTH doors....

5. belair

belair

Since most all sedan deliveries were work vehicles, they were most often offered and ordered with cost in mind. Since Delray was the cheapest model in 58, I would bet your car was originally a Delray. Biscayne ( or whatever the equivalent station wagon name was) could have been possible, but not probable, especially on a delivery vehicle. I see that some folks speak of an Impala Belair, and that might have been true of 58, but for 1958 the Biscayne became the equivalent of the 55-57 Chevy 210 and the Delray was the equivalent of the 55-57 150. I think eventually Delray was dropped, Bel Air became the middle trim level, and Biscayne was the cheapest. Butch pretty much nailed it.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

58 was the ONLY year the Delray was an actual "MODEL" (and the lowest level one), in 55-57 (it may have been used in 53-54 also as a trim level) it was a TRIM level. The Delray name was never used again after 58. Was't there a late 50"s-early 60's group known as the "Delrays"?

kidcampbell71 and Jack Wagon like this.
  7. belair

belair

I kind of disagree, Butch. All the Chevys we are talking about (except for the Corvette) were to my mind, the same "model". They were the same car with different trim levels. The 55 or 58 Delrays were still 55 or 58 Chevys, they just had different trim. The 58 Imapala did have a different roof - the vent thing at the back. So the 58 Delrays was, to the best of my knowledge, exactly the same car as a 58 Bel Air or a Biscayne, only with different levels of trim. Same for 55 Chevys. But I think we're are splitting hairs or calling the same thing by two different names.

8. DjNeil

DjNeil

my Delray has some Biscayne and Impala trim added by a previous owner.
    I'm really after a custom so would like to know what it could potentially sell for
    Thanks

9. belair

belair

It's easier to set the value of an original. If you customize the car, you can make it better or worse, depending on the taste of the potential buyer. I would prefer more of the original trim from a nicer model like a Biscayne or Impala, but someone else might like the dechromed look. Don't build it for the next guy, build it for yourself.

Jack Wagon likes this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What I'm saying is, 54-55 there was a "Delray option", that included a waffle pattern black/white interior and vinyl headliner, and in most cases, two tone paint, a "trim level". 58 was the only year with an actual model (Caprice, Impala, Bel Air, Biscayne, DELRAY-the Caprice name first appeared in 65, ended in 96). The Delray was a model based on that, although Wikipedia refers to it as a "series". I see cars as make and model, like most of us do; never heard of make and series. All are the same body style, with only different levels of trim. Now we have A, B, etc models that refer to body sizes, ie compact, mid size, full size, etc. Course "trim" can also refer to something else entirely.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

triman62 likes this.
  11. belair

belair

12. have a 60 Chevy SD myself, welcome to the club... looks like a really nice car... Congrats

Jack Wagon likes this.
  13. tankerracing

tankerracing

Anyone know if a 2 Door Delray Sedan Delivery had the option of windows in the sides like a station wagon?

Jack Wagon likes this.
  14. tankerracing

tankerracing

15. beanis

beanis

yes. I have one. I have frequently heard them referred to as "Forest Service" cars.. mostly sold to govt. agencies, military etc. is my understanding.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

funny, you mentioned forest service and it jarred my memory...There's a '56 2dr wagon in North by Northwest that's badged "Department of the Interior".

Attached Files:

• 0824.jpg
      0824.jpg
      File size:
      94.2 KB
      Views:
    • 0829.jpg
      0829.jpg
      File size:
      139.7 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon
    from Ferguson

I’ve seen other pics of your cars. Very Nice!

18. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon
    from Ferguson

It doesn’t seem that the windowed ones went to the public in 58. Mine and all I’ve seen were govt ordered. Under 600 total I’ve read.

19. firemangordy

firemangordy

That '56 wagon is unusual. If it is a 150 wagon it should have the dogleg trim on the quarter panel behind the door. Sedan delivery's didn't come with this trim so at first glance it looks like it might be a window delivery. But, it has a wagon tailgate instead of a one piece sedan delivery rear door.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hnstray likes this.