Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheaper rust encapsulators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobj49f2, Feb 5, 2010.

1. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

For Por-15 to stick well to clean steel or aluminum the surface must be treated with an etching solution the company sell. The same goes for overcoating POR-15 with another paint it must be etched with there solution. The etching solution is no doubt some type of acid or caustic. Phosporic acid on steel forms a black oxide layer after desoving rust which paint sticks to well. Another two part paint used for boats is Awlgrip similar to Imoron. I don't think it is as toxic but do not know that for sure. s

2. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Another vote for Ospho here. I've been using it for a few years now with no problems other than it changing the color of the concrete where I've spilled it..:D

3. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I'm surprised that KBS Coatings hasn't come up. The way I understand it, KBS was the Guy that invented POR-15. Check it out. I believe that the website is www.kbs-shop.com.

VR&C.

4. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

we used zinc (chromate?) on non ferros <sp?> metals on aircraft and electronic framing while in Navy and iron oxide/red lead on ferros metals. The zinc was a sickly yellow/green color.

alanp561 likes this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

In the first sentence of the opening post you mention Rust Doctor. Has anyone used it? It seems like an easy to use nontoxic water soluble product. Does it hold up?

6. sajjad

sajjad
    from usa

Eastwood Black Rust Encapsulator is the good solution for my suggest.

7. sajjad

sajjad
    from usa

[​IMG]

8. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

KBS did not invent paint over rust. KBS were por-15 dealers It was not a floor sealer either. Mobey chemical developed this bridge primer which was later sold as Por 12 metal filler. It is aluminum Pigmented moisture cure primer for Bridges that cut off the moisture and oxygen to the steel. No moisture no oxygen no rust and any rust under it cannot continue, Black does not cut off oxgen Ospho is not a encapsulate it's phosphoric acid rust remover converter pre paint treatment.

alanp561 and williebill like this.