Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How Do I Wire This Fog Light??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seadog, Jan 3, 2022.

1. I’ve had a small fog light on the front of my roadster forever. I got it years ago at the Lone Star Roundup swap. I think it originally came from Speedway.

Tonight I decided to make it functional. Admittedly I’m not a whiz at wiring, but I did wire the car using an American Autowire kit and everything worked, so I figured this fog light would be easy.

When I got it apart there was only 1 wire hooked to a terminal on the back of the light. I thought there would have been 2 wires (power & ground). What gives here and how do I wire this thing?
    EDB5945D-8759-4F9F-8D55-F63C2ADEE2CE.jpeg 7EE72457-30A8-48B5-A450-F7746079B998.jpeg
    I want to control this light with a toggle switch separate from the main lighting circuit?

kidcampbell71 and alanp561 like this.
  2. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Not a problem....the white wire is your hot lead, going to one side of your switch. The other side of your
    switch will be the power source. The light itself is the ground, (or the second wire in effect), that you are
    used to working with. Just make sure that it has a good grounding to whatever you mount it to. Bob

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'd say the bulb grounds to the housing, housing grounds to the car so only 1 wire needed for the hot.

Boneyard51, alanp561 and Bob Lowry like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since I base/cleared my frame and didn't want to make a mess of that I simply ran ground leads from the mounting bolts inside the light assemblies, routed through the conduit with the power wire and grounded the lights on a ground bus. I don't like ground issues.

5. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Foglight.jpg A ground wire will be the most reliable solution.

6. As mentioned, it's a self grounding unit, but as @TrailerTrashToo says, the most reliable method is to include a dedicated ground wire.

7. Don't forget a fused power source.

8. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

Make Sure it is a switched power source (turns off with the key ) So you don't accidently leave it on and kill your Battery .

9. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

I just recently got a pair of 5 1/2” Fogs. Will gently blast the rusty area. And put a good heavy ground grommet under attachment bolt .
    Stretch 4E5918BD-A2AD-446B-BCED-A8AF9BAC0A38.jpeg

kidcampbell71 and alanp561 like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Whata think about bouncing that wire up to 14 gauge? I hardly ever use 16 gauge on automotive stuff…..just seems too small. Maybe that’s just me!:rolleyes:

Bones

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just as you have a relay for your headlights, you should have a relay for your fog lights.

kidcampbell71 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  12. The wire is a hot wire. The metal case grounds to the frame when the light is installed. be sure that the mount makes good contact when the light is installed and run a hot wire to the light and you are golden.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  13. Thanks guys! I love it when a plan works. I’ll wire it in to an empty accessory terminal on the fuse block and put a toggle switch in the circuit when I pull the engine later this month. The light draws less than 3 amps so shouldn’t need a relay as long as it’s the only thing on the circuit. Thanks again for the input.
    C8B0D8B9-7DF2-4A1E-A98F-7296527D1BA3.jpeg

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I never depend on housings as a ground. Too many screwed, clamped, or bolted connections that can go bad. So as Trailer Trash pointed out, I want the ground wire separate, and as close to the socket as possible to eliminate all other poor ground sources.