Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for the Deuce guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 3, 2022.

1. I saw a '32 B-400 for sale in Hemming's Motor News and I noticed the dash has something I am unfamiliar with, I assume this is a ash tray but like I said I haven't seen anything like it in the past, it appears to have been wood grained like the dash.

You guys ever see one like this? HRP

mail (1).jpg

2. Looks like an ash tray has been added to the dash.

clem likes this.
  3. clem

clem

I agree, looks like its been added later, as it doesn’t really fit in with the styling.
    Also looks newer than the dash.
    Someone may prove us wrong though…… bttt….

4. alchemy

alchemy

I have never seen such a thing, or a cigar lighter in the dash either (other than on a three-window). And what's the funky switch thing in the upper rail of the dash?

The car is rather early production with first gen dash and gas pedal.

325w likes this.

5. You would expect to see the cat's eye cigar lighter where the switch is located on a 3 window. HRP

6. Looks like they added a cigar lighter next to the ashtray. kinda looks like a later battery switch in the upper rail.

Mick

pprather likes this.
  7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Looks to me like the passenger was a smoker.

8. 3ARDUN2

3ARDUN2

Possible European B400. Has a 130kph speedo.

9. redo32

redo32

It's tough on my age stressed brain cells, but I think that is the B400 I saw at Fathers Day Swap Meet some years ago. It was in Don Orosco's booth, but there was no one around to talk to. I believe it was exported to Denmark. I was surprised it didn't have the fender mounted lights that other European models had.

10. The steering wheel would be on the right if the car was European but you are correct about the speedometer, possibility built in the states for export. HRP

11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Steering wheel is only on the wrong side in England.

Edit: They drove on the wrong side in Sweden as well until the 1960s, so maybe Scandinavian countries did too, back then. Anyone else know?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. redo32

redo32

This 32 was on Bring a Trailer last summer. Lots of pictures and the owner (Flathead Ed) posted this description:
    [​IMG]

Hamtown Al and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Incredible amount of little details from one photo, man, I am in the right place.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. redo32

redo32

A Ford Club judge commented:
    8dearborns This author's likes: 31
    Just a few things to point out realities from illusions.
    1. 18-50733 dates the car June 12,1932 plus or minus a few days.
    In September 1932 Ford changed the hood sides from 20 to 25 louvers.
    So, this car never came with a 25 Louver hood. Note paint difference in photos.
    2. Aluminum oil pans were discontinued in May 1932 ending with car # 18-15164, so this car never came with an aluminum oil pan.
    3. All shock absorber dog bones and spring clamps in 1932 were Riveted together. On this car all are bolted meaning they have all been apart. Shackle nuts should be castle nuts for cotter pins, not lock nuts.
    4. Interior. 1932 B-400 Fords had no red dash lights, no lighter, no ash tray, no switch in the middle of the dash, the gear shift was a different shape and satin plated, and different door and window handles. All garnish were Walnut Crotch grain finish after April.
    5. The dual temperature gauge did not come out until August of 32, so would be wrong for this car. As a National Judge, these are just some of the items I would have to dock this car for as an “original car”. As far as a rare old Ford, I think it is great.
    All this information is given in “Ford Service Bulletins” and “The Early Ford V/8 as Henry built it A production facts book 1932-38”

owner replied:

Flathead-Ed (The Seller) This author's likes: 13

I installed the 25 louver hood. I have the original 20 louver hood. The 25 louver is worth over $4000.00. I never knew about steel oil pans. All the original 32’s I seen had aluminum pans. I called a V8 club member and you are right. So at some it may have been changed. I knew about the red lights and ash tray not original. These items had been on the car for many years. A car almost 90 years is bound to have things altered. I bought the dual temp gauge because they are so rare ($2000.00) and I thought it would be a cool accessory. I do appreciate your comments. This is how we all learn about old cars.

Flathead-Ed (The Seller) This author's likes: 13
    jeff1932, I have only driven the B400 locally. It runs and starts great. Ii has mechanical brakes which work very well. I replaced the old wiring with new, replaced the running boards which were worn and had a little rust on the edges. The running boards were replacements from the 1970,s which look like originals. The floor pans do not have any rust and are in great shape. There is a photo which shows the floor pan under the carpet. The only rust is a very small spot at the lower rear quarter panel. I did not want to repair it and damage the original blue paint. I wanted to keep this car as a original survivor. The previous owner passed and his son did not know much history.

Lots of pictures here: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1932-ford-b-400-convertible-sedan/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Fordors

Fordors

Without getting into numbers roughly 1/3 of the World’s countries drive on the left side of the road and generally they include Great Britain and it’s colonies, or former colonies. Japan does that too, but that is a result of the British bringing railroads to Japan.
    So the other 2/3’s of us do it correctly :cool: and although Ford and many other companies built RHD vehicles was that for matters of driver preference or mandated by law in some countries?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. I found a better photo. HRP

IMG_4741.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Hamtown Al likes this.
  17. Accessory after market , Just sayin!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. redo32

redo32

Danny, you got me going. An English dash with two glove boxes and a Swedish B400 with semifores. I'll guess that's what the switch is for.
    [​IMG]
    32 b400.jpg
    Note the short windshield slides

19. alchemy

alchemy

This one has an added ashtray too.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. ashtray and flower vase.jpg There,s allways a few of those ashtrays on the tables at the swapmeets here. Different shapes and almost allways brownish bakelite. Glass ashtray not so often. Actually only thing missing on the dash Danny posted is the silly little antique glass flower holder we usually see next to the ashtray.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. So the cats eye cigar lighter was a option in the 3 window and possibly the B-400 but the ashtray was not. HRP

22. Fordors

Fordors

No Danny, the lighter was exclusive to the Deluxe Coupe. Any other ‘32 has had it added sometime later in its life.

HOTRODPRIMER and lurker mick like this.