Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you remember driving your hot rod or custom the first time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 1, 2022.

1. I was in the garage with all the doors and windows open, it was hotter than a four balled tom cat and the Model A pickup was getting close to being able to hearing it run, I had the cab mounted, but no doors or windshield, no bed or fenders, no running boards or hood, the radiator was mounted and the engine was ready to go.

I remember vividly my pal Rene' drove up in his '32 Plymouth coupe and we started shooting the breeze, he was asking had I driven the truck yet and I had told him no.

He ask about the steering and brakes and I said yeah, the steering is great and I had rebuilt the brakes a few weeks ago, I told him I was thinking about running a hose to the carburetor from a gas can and run a couple of temporary wires and hopefully fire it off this afternoon.:)

He helped me with the short list and with in the next hour the truck was running , damn it was loud right out of the exhaust but it was running!:) I got in and sit on a milk crate and eased it in gear and the truck moved forward, I move the shiftier to reverse and the truck moved backward, We where grinning at each other as the smell of oil and smoke filled the garage as the fresh engine reached operating temperature and turned the ignition switch off.

Rene'then said it runs and stops, lets go for a ride around the block, I thought, I don't have any insurance, the wiring is iffy, it's extremely loud but what the heck,nothing ventured, nothing gained.

So Rene' found another milk crate, he situated the red plastic gas can between his feet, we ran the rubber gas hose through the windshield area and I got in and fired the truck off again and across the yard and to the road, first real test of the brakes and they worked flawless, I eased out into the street and went the long way around the circle to avoid a steep hill, everything was working well until we were about 300 yards from my drive way, all of a sudden the wires laying on the floor started smoking, the the insulation started burning and melting, My pal Rene' bailed out as we slowed to a stop, not thinking I grabbed the wires and tried to yank them loose.

We walked back to the house and got a rope, Rene' pulled my wounded pickup back to the house with his coupe.

About 3 months latter I drove the truck again as a finished hot rod to the gas station and a few hours later we drove the truck to Stone Mountain, Georgia for the North Atlanta Street Rods show.

At this show is where a club member hung the moniker HOTRODPRIMER on me. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    alanp561, bowie, Ford52PU and 19 others like this.
  2. BTW, I still have the scar on my right hand from the glowing copper wire.:rolleyes: HRP

alanp561, Tim, ladyhrp and 5 others like this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I drove mine about 1/2 mile down the road to a old store circle drive. When I turned in, it went dead.:eek: Iffy battery, pumped the gas, hit the starter and it lit right back up. No neutral safety switch at that time, so it engaged gear and went on like nothing had happened. I had ran it in the shop for a long time from idle to a high RPM, but this was the first time under load. Got it back in the shop under it's own power, pulled the top off the carb, it was full of white junk from old gas. Soaked it and put a kit in it, never had that problem again.

Second "first time" was last year after I got the 302 in it. Had to go a little farther down the road as the old store drive got closed off. Ran good, scared me how hard it shifted! Still not ready to drive far though, got to get it back up and get the driveshaft replaced and new tires on it. Maybe when I get my tax return I can get what I need to finish it...

alanp561, 51pontiac, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Danny
    I had a 57 BelAir in high school, actually my second car but I couldn't call it a hot rod until I got rid of the three speed so I swapped in a B-W T-10.
    Problem is it was on Thanksgiving day and while laying on my ice covered gravel driveway while lifting the tranny I wrenched my back and all I could do was drop it in the gravel.
    I had to call my friend to put it in in for me, was still waiting for my Hurst shifter to come in and my chiropractor said I needed to give my back a rest for a week.
    Man that week took forever and I still had a stiff back but just had to get that shifter in and take it for a test drive over to my friends place. He had a 57 wagon with a hot 283 and a four speed so he followed me in case I had trouble, it worked perfectly and I can say that was a pretty exciting time for this teenager.

alanp561, 51pontiac, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.

5. I made the mistake of installing a hard shift kit in my old roadster, We finally broke a sprag gear in half, replaced it with a mild shift kit and no more snapped neck.:D HRP

alanp561, Joe Travers, Tim and 5 others like this.
  6. Greenblade

Greenblade

I haven't had my first time yet, but it shouldn't be too much longer till I do. Just gotta finish up the dang wiring harness. When I'm at work, I daydream about the first startup and the places I'll go when it's running reliably. Can't wait!

7. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was getting close to finishing my 31 coupe back in '99. There was a cruise-in coming up at Fincher's BBQ, the same place my dad and uncles went back in the day. The date was set to have it on the road.

Dad came over to help on a two-day thrash.. We did a million little things like wiring, radiator mounts and seats. We finally fired her up and made it a half a block before the transmission gave up the ghost.

It would be 20 year later before he ever got to drive it but it didn't matter. Those two days were the best time I ever spent with my dad.

8. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to Abbottstown PA in November of 2007 to pick up the coupe I had bought from Clark Bates. It was a 70 mile drive home. I had not driven the car when I bought it. I had never had anything like a hot rod so that 70 mile drive was a hoot. All the way into the city of Baltimore to my old garage.
    My face hurt from smiling. My friend Doug Shaffer drove my Neon home and I drove the coupe.
    What's that ? Pictures or it never happened ?
    [​IMG]

9. wicarnut

wicarnut

16, 1964, My first car, my avatar, first drive was good, no unexpected problems, pretty lucky as myself and friends just bolting stuff together, I read Hot Rod magazine so I knew everything already. LOL. My Biggest First Drive memory was driving my Dad's Midget racer, I grew up in racing, I had been thinking I was going to drive a racer from childhood on. 1970, already 22 years old, the first year for the full roll cages and finally talked my Dad into let me strap it on, I remember it like it was yesterday, WOW ! I loved it, the thrill, speed, competition, challenge, I was hooked, the start of a Great 21 year adventure. Like everyone in beginning I thought INDY was going to be my destiny, AJ, move over I'm coming and like most everyone that didn't happen. I would not trade the memories, highs or lows (a few crash house visits) for anything, I've been an Adrenalin junky all my life and for me nothing compares to backing a racer in full tilt on dirt or running my wing sprint car around 1/2 mile dirt tracks WFO. I enjoyed a few 15 minutes of fame in 21 years of effort and paid a price for it in several ways, now old and people have asked me, was it worth it ? my answer, Hell Ya ! would you do it again ? You Bettcha ! No Regrets !

alanp561, Ford52PU, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I was 16 and a young driver when I purchased my car. My dad drove it home 75 miles we had to go. My mom followed. When I did take it cruising the first time, when I got gas. I got the spicket stuck in the filler neck. I couldn`t get it out. A couple guys offered to help. They had a bit to drink. One couldn`t get it out, so the other laughed and tried also. Thier lady friends were gigglling also. After a bit of tugging, they got it out. They said not to stick it in so far. I guess the spring that wraps around the handle got stuck under the filler neck ring. To this day, when my tank is full, it plurges and shoots a bit of gas out the filler neck. You better stand clear or you will get gas on you. Watched a guy do the same thing on the same year of car as mine. Factory big blocks in each car. Filler neck is behind the rear license plate.

11. I have had several first drives that I remember. My first car was a 67 RS Camaro convertible and my dad and I bought it in pieces when I was 12. The first and only time I drove it, it still had no exhaust or top, but I drove it around the neighborhood making a few of the neighbors mad. I also remember driving my brothers first car, a Chevelle that I built, in a neighborhood before it had seats etc. Did the old milk crate trick and when I launched it once (because you know), thankful I kept it under control since the milk crate slid into the rear floorboard with me on it. Glad the steering wheel was attached good or I would have been in trouble. :oops: Also drove several old pickups around with no bed on a first drive. They sure spin tires good that way. :D

12. I remember that first drive vividly. It was an let down and an eye opener all at the same time. I'd been building and driving Modifieds and Sprints up to that point, and since the T bucket I built was similiar-ish, I was looking for that same thrill. Well, while that 'street drive' never delivered, that 'build for the street' sure did. My hotrod builds killed my boredom between race seasons. Nowdays, what's considered a daily hotrod, I just called an old car, so it wasn't a big deal.

13. 1pickup

1pickup

We lived across the road from a gravel pit. My parents left, so my 13 year old self & a buddy threw a couple of 5 gallon pails upside down (bucket seats) in the '39 and thrashed that flathead. No interior, no fenders, no brains, no worries.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The first real drive in the 37 was down to the exhaust shop,tried to go for a further drive after the exhaust but the farther I drove the less the clutch worked so back to the garage and the trans came out.

15. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heck yeah- it was not that long ago …. the fall of 2020. That was a great day.

John

5C8AD84E-DC75-4FED-B2F1-7E4D0867461A.jpeg

16. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

[​IMG]

I learned how to drive in Grandmama Jessies wagon but when Danny restored it and hot rodded it the wagon was a entirely different car, it now had power!

[​IMG]

My first time back behind the wheel I was sitting at a street light and I heard a mustang rumbling up beside me, he revved his engine and smiled at the grey haired old lady in the station wagon.

The light changed and I got the jump on him, I was shifting to third and easing off when he passed me.

At the next light I pulled up beside him and he rolled down the window and said, Damn lady you sure surprised me, that wagon is fast.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  17. Numerous first drives..one certainty is there will be apprehension, smoke, smells, leaks, excitement, a sense of achievement and finally/hopefully fulfillment.

18. The first time I drove my avatar I was a bright eyed, nervous. We’d fired it up a few days before and well, there’s a spot of black soot on my father’s garage door. Anyway, I hopped in the driver’s seat and my mom sat in beside me and off we went. Gotta say it was thrilling and hectic but I enjoyed it.

3W JOHN, wicarnut and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have been asked the same thing. I also tell them, Hell yes! Only this time I would race a little harder 'cause I still got a little money left!

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

21. My '32 pickup was totally finished when I took it for the first ride, I had been cranking it everyday for about a week, the first drive was on a late on a Saturday afternoon, it was just getting dark enough to use the headlights, I drove the truck about 3 miles to the church and back without any problems.

Brenda wanted to take the truck around the block so I felt the truck eas safe enough for that so she got in and drove sown the driveway and turned to the right and I was cleaning up some of the tools laying around, all of a sudden she came walking in the shop and I ask what happened, she said the truck just quit running.

Dave, Brenda and I walked down the street to where the truck was sitting in a cul-da-sac and started trouble shooting, I believe it was Brenda that noticed some gas on the ground and when we focused the flashlight on the gas than there was a big wet spot on the bottom of the gas tank. it seems that the tank had a rest spot and the gas was leaking out.

A couple of days later I pulled the tank but it had seen better days, I bought a new tanks and never had another problem. HRP

[​IMG]

22. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy to remember the first time as it took me about 9 years to get to the point where I could test drive it and that happened at the beginning of 2020. I'd like to forget a lot of things about the last couple of years but that won't be one of them!

i-mg9Qw4Z-X3.jpg

23. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

hell no. I can't remember what I had for breakfast today

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

I agree with you on a street hot rod does not replace racing, but it's still satisfies the CarCrazy itch for me. I, like you back in my racing days, I grew up in it, life revolved around racing, everything was geared to getting ready for next race season. I started to find other hobbies after 10 + years into my 21 year adventure, realizing I'm not going anywhere, local racer at best was my destiny, I had 2 real hard/bad crashes with the Midget with sheet time, to think all this over, first one got my attention, the second, received some permanent damage, the light bulb came on. I stopped driving the Midget, participated a car owner, then got involved with a wing Sprint car driving again, (loved it) after going Go Kart racing with my son. I walked away at 43 satisfied with my racing career/hobby, Never looked back, I helped my Son get going for 3 years, then he was on his own. I did not go racing as a fan, now I go to a few races a year and follow it on the net some. No Regrets ! AND Thankful to be here or anywhere.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

It was a long time ago but I do remember the excitement.

[​IMG]

26. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

The first drive in my eventual hotrod was when I was 10 years old. It was actually my Dad's 32 in my avatar. He told me it was time I drove it. Had been driving tractors and farm trucks for some time. But, this was a complete surprise at the time. No one drove Dad's car but him. So to get to was one of the biggest thrills of my lifetime! From that time on I was consumed with working on it with him and the reason it is mine to this day and will never go anywhere as long as I'm still breathing.

hfh, 3W JOHN, Rickybop and 4 others like this.
  27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no recollection of the first drive in the "T-Bucket" I built in 1965. I believe it is because there was no real "first drive", but a series of tentative ventures; first up and down the driveway and then short trips on the road in front of my house. I have sporadic memories of the drive home in my '51 after I purchased it, but some very specific ones of my both of my '67 Corvettes, the first in '67 and the second in '87. I know it's an off-topic car (barely), but bear with me. I am a real fan of the "Moody Blues", and the first song that was playing the when I tried the radio both times was their "Go Now". That song now has a special meaning to me, and I get the chills when I hear it these days. The trip home with the second car was about 30 miles, the last 10 being in "stop and go" traffic. I was not used to the heavy clutch, and my leg ached for days after.

As I age, that sensation is returning as well.

28. 10 years here. Couple years with Modifieds, then jumped to winged Sprints. Did half a season in a Midget, but my frame didn't quite fit those frames (think 'bear on a bicycle'). Never had the ultra-competitive mind set though. More of a fun thing for me(solid mid-pack). Really loved being 'that out-of-town' guy at some little out of the way, podunk dirt bull ring. Hell, Ferkel slipped me a set of rear tires once just 'cause he felt sorry for me. But I did absolutely love qualifying, because it filled my need for speed and it let me know if my chassis and suspension ideas worked. I treated seat time as research for future builds and modifications. Had my bell rung pretty good (wing crumpling saved my ass) and that was my wake-up call to hang up what was left of my helmet. Converted what was left for the street, drove it a bit (wings drew quite a bit of attention) then parked it and emptied all my shelves on future hotrod builds. Nowdays I'm hoping to get my feet off the ground with my Easy Eagle build. Like you, I loved those days in the seat of my Sprint. It was quite the e-ticket ride that I was lucky enough to ride all the way to the end of the line.

29. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Early 1987, drove it up and down the driveway. D4ABBF93-E952-40CE-80BA-C04837012BE0.jpeg

Ford52PU, hfh, 1935streetrod and 5 others like this.
  30. First time I drove Taboo was right before we tore it down to do the restoration. It ran and drove when we bought it back. My grandpa said lets take it around the block one last time. I was excited as all heck. We take off and I am on cloud 9, go up the street a few blocks and turn off to cut over and head back. Come to a stop sign, push the clutch in and hear snap and the pedal goes limp. The Z bar arm decided it was done being attached. So I got to learn that day how to start and limp a car home with no clutch. Guess it was a fitting way to start the rebuild of the car, lol.