Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Ford ignition switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Jan 2, 2022.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

In the interest of drawing some alternative ideas out of the general HAMB population I’d like to ask how many folks are using the early Ford column mounted ignition switch and how are you wiring it? I’m using an old Ford steering column in my ‘33 pickup (not sure what year the column is).
    Since I’m not sure of the amperage capability of the old switch, I plan to use the switch to trigger a relay that will control “switched power”. I’ll use a stock type Ford starter button to trigger another relay to activate the starter GM starter (Nailhead Buick) or maybe I’ll use the Ford solenoid trick, haven’t decided yet.
    How did you do it? What did you do about circuits that are usually wired to the Accessory post of a conventional ignition switch?
    A2D8ECE2-568D-49EB-BF4D-C4104E2951AA.jpeg F2FF6CE3-E7AA-402F-88F1-5521981D49CF.jpeg

2. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

The switch powers a relay, then relay to terminal board. Hope this helps. Don

bchctybob likes this.
  3. BE05B655-AC01-4A82-83A7-344C0A581692.jpeg @bchrismer drew this up for me when I was wiring my 40 with an original switch.

Hamtown Al, bchctybob and bchrismer like this.
  4. Yep, I have 2 '40 Fords wired up that way. My panel's column needs some work to make it operable, so it currently just has a standard ignition switch under the dash.

bchctybob likes this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, That’s what I had in mind, and then I thought of using the Ford solenoid instead of the modern relay in the starter circuit mostly because it seems tougher, looks old Ford-y and gives me an easy place to attach a remote starter switch, etc for maintenance. What do you think?
    When I laid out my dashboard I included a regular old ignition switch. One day while I was upstairs looking for something else I found that column with a switch and the key. I’d forgotten all about it. So I brought it down and put it in my pickup. The dash isn’t painted yet so I can always fill the hole but I was sitting in it the other day and just got to thinking ahead about the wiring.

Dan Hay likes this.
  6. Nothin special here. Stock steering column and switch in my '40 pickup using stock wiring harness running 12 volts. Never had a problem in 22 years.

bchctybob likes this.
  7. When I rewired my '40 stake truck, it still had the flatty in it. When I put the SBC in it, I kept the Ford 12v solenoid on the firewall and did a jumper wire on the Chevy starter solenoid. Worked out to be a great idea, as the upper starter bolt hole stripped on my Wilcap adapter and I didn't have a front mount on the starter, so it dropped and was bound against the flywheel. Since I was at work, 45 miles from home, it worked out nicely where I could remove the starter, bump start the truck, and drove it home. (it now has a high torque mini starter that bolts to the block with the jumper wire on it)

bchctybob and Dan Hay like this.