Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I need your opinions on color choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crapgame, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was basing it on @Anderson's shared Cover on page 1...Thanks Ray...

So many Covers to know...and so many beauties...

2. crapgame

crapgame

Stogy, I can't thank you enough for your Photoshop work, your encouragement and your openness to an idea that clearly doesn't resonate with everyone. Thanks also to the many others who posted thought-provoking ideas. sgtlethargic's suggestion to consider larger diameter wheels reinforced something I was already contemplating. hotrodjack33, if I could find your wife's panel truck, I'd boost the wires you bought for $25 and slap them on my Fairlane. They're incredible! And to others who raised other issues of design, period correctness, stylistic consistency, etc., thanks also. You've given me much to consider.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    fauj, sgtlethargic, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  3. v8flat44

v8flat44

After seeing the 56 Lincolns, that's the one. The Lancers need the black centers or maybe yellow. Good on you Stogy.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

regardless of wheel and cap choice , like the pictures lowered and no skirts ,but v8flat44 said it those Lincoln caps look right .

Stogy likes this.
  5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 57 Ford went to 14” wheels (Fairlane )
    1956 Fords had 15” wheels
    Hope this helps your search for wheel coverings

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did either fit and allow a multitude of tire sizes to be utilized?

What is the most utilized steel wheel/rim size in the Custom and go fast movement regarding the 56?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  7. crapgame

crapgame

I’ve posted several thank yous to all who commented on my original post, but haven’t really explained my thinking about the issue itself, or detailed what lessons and conclusions I’ve drawn from everyone’s comments. Consider the following my attempt to rectify that:

Point Taken: Many commenters either made or hinted at the point that the style of a vehicle is dictated to a great extent by its stance, and that the choice of wheels should also reinforce the style and be consistent with the stance. Conclusion: I’ll lower the car first, get that how I want it and only then decide on the rims.

More On That: One commenter asked, “Is this a hot rod or a custom?” I’m not sure. I know it will never be a tail-dragger on my watch, and it will never have fender skirts. At the same time, it will never be a fire-breather with the Y-Block and Ford-O-Matic that it now has, so it would be somewhat dishonest to dress it up as a hot rod. Conclusion: maybe it will end up being a little of both.

That Being Said: I understand that too much stylistic inconsistency creates a mess. I mixed and matched too much when I built my ’27 Model T coupe, and it took me several years of redoing things to bring it under control. I won’t make that mistake again.

And Finally, I Get It: Rims from the ‘30s don’t belong on a car from the ‘50s. I understood this before I asked the original question. It was never my intention to put low-spoke-count wires with antique hubs on this car, painted or not. The idea was to use something like Thunderbird- or Buick-style rims that look period-correct and have them powder coated yellow, if such is possible. There are vendors that advertise that they make rims “to order,” but whether their policy extends that far, and whether I could afford them if it does, remains an unknown. Again, this is a work in progress.

Finally, thanks again to everyone.

8. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

I vote for the T-Bird chrome wire wheels, no skirts, drop in the front.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Picture with Lancers should have had red or black rims! Red was what guys did but I would need to see both red and black to decide.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Local car where I grew up!:cool:
    Jimmy Kenney2 001.jpg Jimmy Kenney3 001.jpg

Jim Bouchard, Okie Pete and Stogy like this.
  11. I like these kind of threads because they reveal the different regional styles. I don’t have to like any of them but I do find some of them look quite funny.

Okie Pete likes this.
  12. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No wires on a 50s car in my opinion, but do what you like and drive! Good luck !

loudbang likes this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Dropping the car and driving it may have a profound effect on your opinion concerning what you want to do with the wheels.
    I would consider turning the white walls in on the existing wheels, I don't believe those particular whitewalls do much for the car.
    At any rate, I hope you will keep us updated as you go.

Stogy and crapgame like this.
  14. Nosed and Decked, Chrome wires, wide whites, and all yellow or all white, ditch the 2 tone.

Jacksmith likes this.
  15. It looks hot roddish like it is. It has an interesting look with the tinted windows, for some reason. Since you want to lower it, I say lower it in front to give it a rake, drive it, then decide what's next.

But it seems like you're going for a mild custom look with the wire wheels.

crapgame likes this.
  16. phat rat

phat rat

IMHO keep the Americans and turn the tires around for blackwalls. It's a big NO for the painted wires. But it's your car so do whatever pleases you.

loudbang likes this.
  17. some 14/15 inch cragar s/s would look good, but i dont think those arent hamb friendly.

Stogy likes this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I think your car screams cruiser/mild custom with the two tone paint.
    The image being lowered with the Lincoln w/c combo with or without skirts would be my choice.
    Cool ride,seldom seen color combo makes it stand out from the herd of other 56’s.:D

loudbang, Stogy and 427 sleeper like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20220107_205354.jpg

https://www.cragarwheel.com/wheels/

Not all but these are and there may be earlier versions...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Jim Bouchard and loudbang like this.
  20. Stogy likes this.
  21. 6sally6

6sally6

Titty-pink and white two tone!
    6sally6

Ops!!!.......didn't read ALL the posts soooo......'cuse me.
    Sorry
    6sally6

fauj and Stogy like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also believe those American Racing rims are a new design completely, post 65...perhaps passable as inspired but not my call...Wheels are a very difficult animal to date many times...

[​IMG]

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2018/10/04/the-muscle-staple-american-racing-wheels

sgtlethargic likes this.
  23. spudshaft

spudshaft

The yellow wire wheels look a lot better than I expected. It seems like they’d be a huge pain to keep clean though.

Stogy likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

How old are you? Why do you want to spend the rest of your life maintaining wire wheels?

loudbang likes this.
  25. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

my first choice is black. Black on black on black. but that body better be damn straight.
    and Spotless and dust free.

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

My preference is whitewalls, no skirts, and Lincoln wheel covers.
    Admittedly, I'm biased:
    0900Lo.JPG

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Hot Cha Che Che Chaaaaaaa...Beauty 50...

28. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

You asked, so... Either chrome steelies or tasty full wheel covers. A tid bit lower and you're ready to roll...
    0536f9eb5fdd4fcfed8a026902ed1a93.jpg

Jim Bouchard, guthriesmith and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

guthriesmith likes this.
  30. oldsman41

oldsman41

Never been a fan of wires on anything newer than a 50 51 car. Even though I think Chrysler pulled itoff in 55 with the New Yorker