Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this noise on start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I just realized what a wimp I am, changed the oil in my truck today and waited till it got to 48F. And I still shivered like a teen in puberty.

rusty valley, bobss396, fauj and 4 others like this.
  2. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

My hearing sucks not to mention the speaker on the iPad I’m using isn't great but in my early days of doing this stuff I had a mechanical fuel pump loose the spring tension and sounded like a rod knock to the point I swapped the engine only to have the same problem because I used the same pump. I’ve seen it a couple more times over the last 35 years too. And it’s a wet 52 degrees here. Will be 65 in the shop today. I’m done playing in the real cold also. Good luck loyd I’m sure it’ll get worked out.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Scooby doo wat a baba looo"
    I know that song.

The noise doesn't seem to start until you bring the RPMs up just a little... just off idle. Sounds like something tapping on the inside of the valve covers... wanting out.

It's after 10 AM
    50 degrees
    Done yet? Hee-hee-hee...

VANDENPLAS likes this.

4. A few years ago we had a couple days where it hit -50 , I had to get a diesel started that was left outside :mad:

when I went to open the door on the unit ( with no gloves on,) touching the steel handle felt like getting electrocuted!!!!!!!!!

you guys out west have balls of steel for enduring the winter you do. Minus 10 I can do .
    But you guys with -20 and below for weeks on end !!!!! Naw I’d rather shut my d!?k in a car door !!

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Lloyd, you need to get a 2 post lift...........makes all this stuff a LOT easier...........and I'm telling you that the older you get the harder it gets.:D

6. Well I put trans fluid in it, pulled the valve covers to look for anything on the inside of the cover, nothing. Ran the valve one more time using EOIC and half turn preload. Got under the car, turning the flywheel by hand, everything is clear and quiet. Checked torque converter bolts. Fired it back up and it's still there. Using the redneck stethoscope, I believe it's below the head on the right bank, so, I'm putting $20 on wrist pin or piston skirt. It's all good though. I'll go through it.

7. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Could be excessive piston clearance. If so it should get quieter when hot.

8. Doesn't change. I've ran it for an hour. It's coming back apart. Just like my 57 Chevy, this was supposed to be a fresh rebuild. I'll see for myself. This is momma's truck, and I take care of momma ;)

9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Mechanical pump? Maybe where it is.

10. Lloyd,
    I was thinking wrist pin,,,,but didn’t want to bring it up .
    I hope it’s an easy fix,,,,,not expensive,,,,,whatever it is .

Tommy

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  11. Balljoint

Balljoint

Hopefully when you pull it apart you'll get a conclusive answer. I watched and listened to the video again several times to see if I could notice anything but couldn't come up with an answer. Just me but when it came apart I would play detective on everything, best of luck to you.

12. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

A wrist pin or rod bearing will change pitch when you take the spark away. I would fire it up and kill each cylinder to isolate a cylinder so you have a place to start. I listened again and would run it without the fuel pump before pulling the whole thing down.

13. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

The sound is kinda hard to diagnose. From where the camera is located I can't really tell if it's coming from the engine itself or out the exhaust. The last time I heard that noise was in a 327 engine. It was a broken crank shaft. If the damper/pulley wobbles I would surely check that out. My 327 had a very wobbly damper. I thought, well, it's been in a wreck so I ignored it. I found out what it was on the return trip to the parts house. I babied it along until I got home. Ten mph was tops and I was not popular going up the mountain. :( Broke right in front of the number one throw.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, fuel pump maybe? Actuation rod too short?

15. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lloyd, I know this ain't your first rodeo and you'll figure it out, but it sounds like it's valvetrain related to me. Maybe a broken damper spring or two? Does it still have the oil shield's on the valve spring's, maybe a couple of those are cracked and rubbing together at the fracture line, causing the clatter. Might be worth checking before you get too deep into it. Also, like others have said, try running it without the fuel pump just for shits and grins to rule that out too.

16. I've gotta be honest, it sounds like it's valvetrain to me also, from the get go i went straight to the rockers, twice now. But there are no loose rockers, not when I first checked, and not the last time. I even went back through the firing order and relashed them all. I'll pull the covers again Tuesday and look closer at the springs. I have a long steel round bar about 3' long and I've moved it all over the place looking for the sound, the only place I'm hearing anything is on the head, in the area of the plug hole on the right bank. It's a comp cams thumpr, cam card is out there, but I don't remember the lift. Surely it's not too much for those springs is it?

17. The retainers look funny compared to the 283 I just built, and the heads on the 57 20220102_210142.jpg 20200101_143810.jpg

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  18. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you got rotators on the exhaust valves, which is fine as long as whoever supposedly rebuilt the heads put short springs under the rotators and not he intakes. Honestly, I think I'd get the matching springs and retainers for the cam and lose the oil shields. It might just be the angle of the pic but #8 intake looks a little wonky for some reason.

19. It does don't it.... I'll do some investigation on the subject. I'm at the firehouse tomorrow, but I'll look Tuesday.

427 sleeper likes this.
  20. Lloyd, what we did when we were young and those shivrola's started making a noise we couldn't find was just start it up and put a brick on the gas pedal. When it came apart we knew we found the problem.:D Fixing it just involved another trip to the local junk yard and $25 got a running good one.:cool: Take another sip and sit back and enjoy life for awhile.;) Oh right. you're not retired like me.:rolleyes: Seriously, I hope you can get it fixed cheap and easy.:)

21. Lol your a little late horse, I brought it up to what I'd guess was 4000-5000rpm and held it for about 45 seconds to see if it would show itself, but nothing changed lol. It's a weird noise, and it didn't exist before the cam change.

22. Not near enough that's why you need the brick. Don't be skeered Lloyd.:eek:

23. spanners

spanners

More aggressive cam? Valve hitting piston?

24. twenty8

twenty8

Knock the heads off and check the piston tops...??? Could have a valve just contacting.

EDIT: Damn @spanners , missed it by that much............

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Lloyd,,,,,what cam change ?
    I didn’t realize there had been a cam change,,,,,,different light on the subject now .
    Retainer hitting top of guide,,,,or valves kissing piston tops ?
    How much lift ? ,,,, was cam advanced much ?

Tommy

chryslerfan55 and ekimneirbo like this.
  26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wife's 55 had a slight rattle/knock dr side front. Thought is was wrist pin-turned out to be fuel pump pushrod.

partssaloon likes this.
  27. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Last time I heard a noise like that I found a small screw stuck in the top of a piston and hitting the head.

lostmind likes this.
  28. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

I spent considerable time and money trying to pin down what sounded like valve train tick in a 350 in a previous 32. I convinced myself that the cam was going bad and replaced it with a nice Comp Cam. Still had the tick. Bought a cheap stethoscope from Harbor Freight and found the noise was from the mechanical fuel pump. Stethoscope worked much better than the screw driver. Replaced the pump and rod. No more noise

chryslerfan55 likes this.