Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1945 Ford truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GT350SR, Jan 2, 2022.

1. GT350SR

GT350SR

I just picked up this ‘45 that’s been sitting out behind a barn for the last 40 years or so. It’s about 100% complete, but pretty rusty. I bought it from the nephew of the original owner- he said it was used all its life to paint water towers and carried a compressor and hoses on all 4 corners of the rack. The flat 8 isn’t stuck, but he said it was rebuilt on the cheap years ago and never started. Given the rust, I’m leaning towards using a 302, C4, and 8” that I have and leaving the body as is just to make it run on the cheap. That said, any suggestions on s front suspension swap? Would like discs, power steering, and a lower stance. I’m no stranger to welding, so a clip that fits isn’t out of the question. Open to suggestions, so let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Any front swaps I can think of are not 1965 and older so they are off topic here.
    Why not add a power box and drop to the stock front?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

A ‘45 truck is quite rare. The only other one I ever saw was a ton and a half farm truck. If the flathead turns, I’d be tempted to try and start it.
    Your truck, please don’t let me get in the way.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. They are around here;)

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Rebuildin the original front suspension and steering would be a lot simpler than all the cutting and welding required for a new front clip.
    It's not the same year, but that truck makes me think of the old Sanford and Son TV show. :)

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Tighten that thing up an enjoy it...
    Look's like You already have a mustang..

7. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

yep, 45 is pretty rare. rebuild the front that's there. Unless your road racing it will be fine.
    You didn't ask but i might try to straighten grille, then drive that puppy as is. Again you didn't ask me so i'll mind my on business.

chryslerfan55 and Hollywood-East like this.
  8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The spindles on your truck will take any of the brake kits for 37-48 Ford passenger cars whether you want discs or Lincoln drums. You can have the original axle dropped to lower the front.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  9. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Simple recondition of front suspension , later decent steering box be a great driving truck whatever motor it ends up with

10. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

I had a 45 for several years. There are very few of them. Wished I would’ve kept it.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. sent you a PM (personal message)

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sweet ole truck! As mentioned already talking about stubbing will get your thread deleted.

13. Budget36

Budget36

I’ll be darn,I had a ‘42 a few years back, I recall the gas filler on the drivers side.
    Also, I think, but can’t confirm, is a 48-52? F1 uses the same front axle. I didn’t have my ‘42 and my ‘48 at the same time, but I thought for sure when I was working on my ‘42 it would change out. Not the cross v side steer, just the axle.

14. Ford built a limited number of trucks during the war years, most sold to farmers, businesses, and government agencies. They basically just kept building '42 models from parts on hand. Ford built the same truck '42-'47. Likewise Chevy/GMC built the same truck '41-'46. I know the whereabouts of a '43 Chevy ton and a half that was bought new by a farmer close to where I live, and the Shell Oil distributor in Cartersville GA has a '44 Ford tanker truck that the company has owned since new.
    As for the steering and front suspension, if the parts are not worn out, these old "Jailbar" Ford trucks drive good, not like a sports car, but good. The steering box is internally the same animal as what came out in '37 Ford cars which was a big improvement over the '35-'36 steering box and a very well-designed manual box. Parts are readily available to rebuild it. Likewise, new king pins and bushings are not hard to get. If springs and shackles are good, king pins and bushings are good, tie rod and drag link ends are good, alignment is correct, and the steering box is adjusted right, the truck will steer easily and handle well.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  15. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

16. Dropped axle from Nostalgia Sids
    No welding or frame clips needed.

Make it go and stop.
    That thing doesn’t even need paint.
    Nice score

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022