Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 55 tbird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Dec 31, 2021.

1. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Yeah, it is Olds. Y-block dizzy is on back, passenger side, leans outward. Cool little bird, for the right person. Looks like you have quite a bit of history already, with the trophies and papers. Not famous of course or we would already know. Prices of birds (I think) are all over the place. It just takes one to love it and buy it. I've been around bird purists all my life and understand their side of things. They would walk away. But for myself, have always liked them all. An auction will tell you a value, but I think you will have to do some freshening up.

2. jaracer

jaracer

You are right, I didn't notice the distributor position. Definitely not a Y block.

3. BJR

BJR

Did anyone else notice that the front fenders are pop riveted on to the inner panels? Make me think that they are fiberglass replacements. That was all that was available in the late 60's and early 70's. I know cuz I built a 56 Bird then and that's what I used from T-Boyd Products.

4. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

It says on the windshield...

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

doesn't ring any bells with me.. cool car though

Toms Dogs, Stogy and oliver westlund like this.
  6. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Needs the 90s mods removed for sure

chryslerfan55, guthriesmith and Stogy like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep

oliver westlund likes this.
  8. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Another indicator that this is a 55, No sun visors or attachments for them. That came later in 56.

Also, good catch on the glass front fenders. Pop rivets for sure! They may have put the rear panel where the exhaust panel was on from a 56 when they removed the connie kit. Opps, I just contradicted myself... What I should have said is they put a 56 panel on the back of a 55. No connie kit ever on this one, just 56's.
    I really like the grill insert they used. Chevy or Desoto? I don't know, works though.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  9. 31 Thunderbird

31 Thunderbird

Windshield says powered by J2 with 4 speed...that's Olds folks!

loudbang and oliver westlund like this.
  10. hotdamn

hotdamn

Man what a great car!!!!

11. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

Cool Bird, definitely a '55, would be a great project. Don't change anything.
    My avatar is a '56, filled in the side vents, removed the wind wings, '56 non port hardtop.
    You can't always tell at first glance after parts are changed or modified.

12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Steel fenders! Someone came by today and said the paint was done by von dutch! Attempting to verify will post results

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The lettering across the front and back windshield/rear window doesn't really compliment it in my opinion no matter how hot the setup is...a pinstriper/signwriter could more discreetly add the details in a not so in your face manner...other than that a nice scrubba dub and some nice period rubber and wheel covers and the hidden Showcar will be back for round #2...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  14. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

If we kind find a feature it will probably get its original look replicated

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I think that most have determined that’s a 55 with mods done to it over the course of its 67 years of existence. My family’s had a 55 since new., I claimed it when I was 4 years old = 54 yrs. ago….. T-Birds initially got respect when introduced within the Hot Rod ranks, Heck Doane Spencer shelved his Deuce revamp when he saw FoMoCo’s 1st factory Hot Rod.
    Not many can name another car that came with a factory engine “Dress Up Kit”, A hood scoop, factory dual exhaust (cept for the vette).
    FoMoCo’s hiarchy allowed things on the 55 that they later omitted on the latter two years, but did allow for dual quads, and even a McCulloch Super Charger..
    The Hot Rodders Sports Car became FoMoCo’s “Personal Luxury Car” and that changes the whole dynamics of where the baby birds were headed.
    This subject bird has many “Just plain bitchen” Hot Rod Mods, not so many Kustom Mods.
    On a bird, a wheel/tire swap can give it a whole different attitude. Mines had a bunch of different set ups.
    (Here’s one from 2000 in the Ed Roth Rat Fink Flick) 5291BD5C-11AD-4269-89C6-5FA7A1602AC4.jpeg Keep us informed on the quest for history.
    CK.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

053-1963-indoor-car-shows-bay-area-northern-california-.jpg

:rolleyes:...Not truly knowing the history of this Custom TBird I have been snooping and have been looking beyond into the backgrounds of San Mateo show pics, the one above 1963...

It's still hard to believe it wasn't captured as a subject in Photograph with its wild presence and notable trophy lineup regardless of how many it got...

17. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Im sure theres a feature somewhere!

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oliver, up here in ON .Ca we must get a used vehicle package (UVP) when we sell our cars...it lists the former owners...

Do you fellas get those your way?...

It's $20 here and it may help track some history on it through previous owners if they are still with us...

chryslerfan55 and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  19. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

No we dont, i know my friend has back tracked the car to kansas, 3 owners back, was a show car then too, pre 2003

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  20. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

These were next to the tbird...no small accomplishment maybe another piece of the puzzle 20220116_133623.jpg

21. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

22. We need to get one of our HAMB detectives on this. Paging @Sancho to the front desk.

oliver westlund and stanlow69 like this.
  23. oliver westlund likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did your friend get this Capsule outside and give it a good scrubbing yet
    @oliver westlund...more pics nudge nudge...;);)

Some Lucky Hoodlum is going to get a chance to buy this Bird...that is sure to get many excited including me as I get to see it some more...:D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  25. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Its still in its spot with its dust! He has had people say they know its history but nobody has actually come forward yet, frusterating!

26. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Port Hole windows were a 56-57 option. They were not an option in 55, but any 55-57 top can be retrofitted.

27. 55blacktie

55blacktie

All 55 Tbirds came from the factory with the exhaust tips exiting the rear bumper guards. I own a 55 that's been in the family for 50 years.

28. 55blacktie

55blacktie

The 57 bumper and grill are unique to 57.

29. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Custom builds have improved considerably since 1969; however, I can see where that car might have been actually driven, not trailered. Most of today's show cars are just too over the top for anything other than show.

30. They were an option. Lower priced ones do not have them as mine does not and never did.
    100_0301.JPG