Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this noise on start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 1, 2022.

1. I've pulled the valve covers and checked the valves, all is correct, pulled the belt and started it because the alternator is only on there so I could run the water pump and fan, the alternator has a bad bearing, but with the belt off the noise is still there. Pulled the cap and everything seems right in the distributor. Did find that there is no trans fluid in it, I didn't start it back up once I realized that. I didn't get under the truck to check anything around the flywheel yet, I will tmrw. Anybody heard the same noise before?

2. Torque converter bolts lose ?

Flex plate lose ,cracked ?

exhaust grounding out on something ?

Banana in the tail pipe ?

B06ECE55-5932-4038-82A5-9C6466C0FB29.gif

3. Didn't make it under the truck tonight, but I'm hoping that's the issue.

4. twenty8

twenty8

You do have oil pressure, right...................? I know, stupid question, but gotta ask.............

5. If it was a bottom end knock or valve noise it should be more rythmic (sp) at idle.

Ya know a 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2.

your sound a little more all over the place 1-2-1-2-3–4–5-2 scooby doo wat a babba looo !!!

hope fully something cheap n easy .

6. twenty8

twenty8

Maybe it's the radio.....................:D

7. squirrel

squirrel

dent in the oil pan? crank hitting it?

bellhousing to block bolts all tight?

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  8. Yeah after break in, at 170 degrees, it's 50lbs. It does sound like it's coming from the bellhousing, and it sounds like it's outside of the block.

9. I'll check that tmrw squirrel, thanks for the tips

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. tomcat11

tomcat11

Dry transmission pump? Put some fluid in it.

11. Yeah, apparently it's dry. Nothing on the dipstick. Hopefully it's not trashed now.

12. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Lloyd...its hard to tell from the video but it doesn't sound valvetrain speed. It's sounds like something spinning around at full rpm hitting something. My initial thought was timing chain cover somehow. Most oil pan related sounds I've heard sound more like a knock.. your exhaust sounds good out the back though! Happy new year...hope it's a simple fix..

13. Hey BP, Happy new year buddy. Yeah I believe it's outside of the block. But I'm rarely right lol.

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  14. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

You'll rule out the trans as soon as you put oil in it..or it may have been the cause. Years ago I had a Austin Healey 3000 with a 289 and a C4 trans. Trans had a leak and would bleed out. Once it did..if I started the engine it would make all sorts of weird noises. As soon as I put more trans fluid in it...noise was gone. Hope that's it...good luck buddy..

15. I think that engine is toast! Since its junk, send it to me and I'll do an autopsy on it and report back. OH yea, ship prepaid, by the way...

16. Balljoint

Balljoint

Can't really tell from the video but it does sound kind of like valvetrain noise.
    I would try to isolate it as much as possible, maybe have a couple experienced friends come over and help you diagnose where it's coming from. It's pretty interesting how a mechanical noise can sound like something it really isn't. Earlier this year I had noise on my recently rebuilt Pontiac 400 that I would have swore was a couple rods making noise on the front journal of the crankshaft. The engine had less than a thousand miles on it and the oil looked fine, no silver traces. It had been running great but it developed this noise all of a sudden. I was hesitant to rev it up too much because I didn't want to make the problem worse. In trying to diagnose it and get as close to the front of the engine as I could, I noticed that the water pump pulley had a very slight wobble. I wasn't even focused on that pulley but caught it out of the corner of my eye. Using a flashlight I could see it a little better but it was almost unnoticeable. Turned out that when the pulley would come under belt tension half way around it would slap the water pump mounting surface and make a deeper sounding knock. It would obviously increase as the engine revved so without having the visual reference to go with the sound I was misdiagnosing it. Two of the water pump pulley bolts were barely loose but it was enough to make a noise. I had already contemplated pulling the engine but I'm glad I took more time to figure it out. I hope you can find out what it is and that it turns out to be something insignificant.

17. Put the steel bar on the valve covers and it's quiet as a mouse. The steel bar says it's at the rear of the engine, but I didn't get under it yet. I swear it's rotational. I'll report back tmrw if I figure it out

18. As said Lloyd check the simple stuff, flexplate to converter bolts etc. hopefully It’s something simple!

19. Wassup Lane! I'm gonna get up in the morning and go get some transmission fluid first, then I'll put it up on jack stands and see if I can tell more. :D hopefully it's something silly! But I've still gotta blast this truck completely apart, so if it's serious, we'll just build a new one.

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  20. Absolutely put transmission fluid in it, I’m sure it’s not a big deal.! I just pulled the auto out of my diesel pickup. It’s -32 Celsius here…remember no heat in my shop…:(

21. You're telling me it's 25 below zero Fahrenheit there!? :eek: HOLY FUCK! It's 55f here right now! I was pissed when I seen it was going to be in the 30's Monday. I don't see how you do it, you're a bad ass! ;)

fauj, bchctybob, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  22. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

The noise at start up
    Do you mean the loud noise the starter is making during engagement? :eek: sounds like it needs to be shimmed further away from the ring gear.
    When running sounds like solid lifters with a fat cam :cool:
    Norb

23. spanners

spanners

It's a pleasant 100.4 degrees over here or down here, however you look at it.

24. I had the flywheel scraping on the transmission plate in the past, sound is similar HRP

25. Hell that’s been the high for the last week. It get down to -39 or-40 at night..

fauj, old chevy, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  26. Started to hit the like button, but I just couldn't do it man!

27. The coldest I’ve worked in,(back when I worked outside) was -50 Celsius…I’m too old for that nonsense now!

28. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy Shit!!! You must be Really dedicated or a complete Lunatic!!! LOL! :eek:

29. Probably a little bit of both….