Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 Desoto No Start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jguillen, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Jguillen

Jguillen

So I recently picked up a 54' Desoto Firedome, it runs and drives fine but is hard to start. Last week it wouldn't start at all. I put in a new battery and cables 2 weeks ago. When I turn the key the only sound I hear is a single click from the starter relay. I pulled the starter, cleaned up the contacts and inspected the plunger in the solenoid. The starter bench tested fine. I put it back in and still it wouldn't start. I thought maybe the engine seized up on me. I turned the engine by hand no problem. Tried to start the car and it fired right up better than before. I was able to start It several times without issue. Went to go for a drive this morning and it won't start again. It tried to start once then stopped. All I hear is the click on the starter relay again. I'm stumped. Is this a bad starter or something else?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. usmc72

usmc72

I don't have an answer for you but you should check out the facebook page for the National Desoto Club. They have model year tech guru's that might help you out.

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

Double check your grounds.

4. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

You may have a dead spot on the starter armature. It only fails when it stops on the dead spot.

5. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

battery connections, cables, connections in general. Corrosion in cables, I thought positive ground was supposed to correct that

osage orange and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Poor ground is most likely

ClayMart and osage orange like this.
  7. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I agree 100% with you.

chryslerfan55 and osage orange like this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

The simplest way I know get one of those icepick test lights put the clip on the battery cable post on the starter and the pick end on the battery post and try to start if the tester lights up the problem is between the two points Start moving the pick end closer to the starter at each conection when the tester does not light the problem is between the two points. If the teste did not light r check the ground side the same way

jaracer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Did you get 6 volt battery cables when you replaced them? They are much heavier wire than 12 volt cables.

ClayMart likes this.
  10. Jguillen

Jguillen

I went with 2/0 awg copper cables. Have a new cable cable coming to replace the one from relay to starter solenoid. I'll give the circuit tester a try tomorrow and check to make sure my grounds are good and clean.

11. Old cars with unknown starters.. I take those out and have a shop rebuild them. Make sure they know whether you are using 6V or 12V.

12. jaracer

jaracer

Yes, this is a very basic voltage drop test. You don't need to take all connections apart for inspection if you electrically test them first.

osage orange likes this.
  13. Jguillen

Jguillen

I picked up a circuit tester this morning and before I started the tests, I tried to start the car and it fired right up. Took it for a spin and when I got back, I was able to start it a few more times. Now it seems that the starter is working although sometimes it doesn't seem to always start but it does crank now. Everything checked out fine with the circuit tester. I've been slowly sourcing parts to rebuild the starter. My new battery cable for the starter should be here tomorrow, I'm hoping that might be the easy fix. If not I'm going to assume the starter is bad.

chryslerfan55 and bobss396 like this.
  14. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Tap the starter/ solenoid lightly with a hammer, an try next time it act's up... It Does sound like a dead spot on contact..
    Or jump solenoid also

15. CatRod

CatRod
    from Denver Co

Like issue 1955 Dodge. Had starter in & out, waste of time bench testing. Can test in car easier. Use remote start switch or jump wire from --minus to S terminal. Hit it...cranks hit it...cranks keep doing it until NO CRANK=DEAD SPOT! That I'd bet a dollar to a dog turd and hold the steaks in my teeth on Colfax & Broadway downtown ISN'T the problem. I've found intermittent voltage drop in wiring. Bad key switch contacts can cause a starter turn or NO turn issue. (Tore mine apart to see) YOUR red 10g wire from battery side of solenoid thru firewall to amp gauge ends renew & solder. Then other side of amp gauge goes to key switch "amp" terminal. Mine was all burnt up! Even with it replaced still no starter turn with new wire & switch(nos). Remember if you hot test solenoid S terminal and starter runs, starter isn't an issue! I have too big a voltage (amps) drop with yellow/black lead from key to solenoid 'S' terminal. Soldering new ends or better to replace wire should solve this issue!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    HSF and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

If you could manually turn your armature a little bit, maybe you would get by the dead spot and it would crank. Not sure how you would do this but it seems this approach should prove the dead spot idea one way or another. My $.02. Good luck.