Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 55 tbird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Dec 31, 2021.

1. alchemy

alchemy

That's the kind of car that would give the Bird restorers a heart attack. I love it!

2. Uh, the 55 and 56 both used the same dash w/Astra-Dial speedo. Designers wanted to use the 56 Ford style dash cluster/hood in 56 but had to wait for the 57 to get it. The steering wheel and column changed between 55 and 56 - "flat" 2-spoke wheel for 55, "dished" 3-spoke "Lifeguard" wheel for 56-57.

My money's on it starting out as a 55 with the rear exhaust outlets filled in or a 56 tailpan used. If you can, post the VIN from the data plate riveted to the firewall in the engine bay or stamped into the top of the passenger side of the frame in the engine bay as it will tell what year it is. There's a good chance it may also have been logged into one of the T-bird registries over time.

3. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Its titled 55

4. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

6. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

7. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Not all of those trophies go with this car but most do

dwollam, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  9. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Given the date, the obvious quality of build, id bet this car has been featured a few times, features and history are what we are trying to figure out

dwollam, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  10. BJR

BJR

Are those Lee lens used on the tail lights?

jimmy six, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh Yeah...Oliver gets the new year rolling with a bang...time capsules are awesome...

12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

It really makes ya all tingly. Idk if ive ever found a real original show car with this much dust that was done this well! Pretty awesome in person!

13. Talked to my grandfather today and showed him the pics and he doesnt recall the car and if that one trophy is kind of the oldest of the bunch, I dont have anything from the late 60s. Taboo did most of its showing in the early 60s and by the late 60s is was out until the mid 70's.

Is the car going up for sale or did you score it?

14. Anderson

Anderson

Man, that is so cool. I love a hood not-stock baby bird. Thanks for the pictures.

15. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Once we figure its history and value i think it will be made available for purchase

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can’t find Lee lenses for a 55 bird, but those sure look like the one’s on a friends 56 Vicky. Pretty cool. The valve covers are interesting-not bird covers, the fins are too wide, but the emblem looks correct. I’m surprised the engine fits that well, be interesting to see the other side.

Dash is interesting. Looks like a more modern radio-maybe with a cassette player. Might have some time period info there. And the speaker was filled, or covered over. Center emblem and interior light too. But that was common with an upholstered dash. The short shifter reminds me of a Corvette model I used (Syncro Lok?) on a T-85 in my 55 back in 1967.

Really neat find, I’m jealous.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Surprised Mark hasn't chimed in on this yet. He seems to know about a lot of customs from that era. Maybe he's still celebrating Christmas?

18. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

The car could have easily been
    Ive been hoping he would know

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've tried a fair number of Search combos and came up dry...I'm taking it that the owner isn't the original owner and possibly this may be a family heirloom or not...

I searched the Show on the Big Trophy...That Stuckey Deuce Sedan was in the 69 Show as Kustomrama has some history on Mateo...

I suspect this might be late 50s to early 60s build even though the Trophy was 69...It could also well be a mid to late 60s build as well...Is the original owner alive or the family members...all these are worth chasing for the provenance...

Did you notice whats on on it for Wheels/Rims?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    oliver westlund likes this.
  20. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Has steelies for wheels so it either had caps which would point to an earlier build especially with the rest of the styling or the wheels were swapped. Hard to imagine why the wheels would be swapped as the tires are in junk shape and the ol bird hasnt been touched in quite a while. Last owner died, he was a swap meet guy with 20k hubcaps (yes im serious) his son was overwhelmed with trying to sell the stuff so my buddy made an offer on the two lots and everything on em. I think he did quite well! Sadly leaves nobody to tell stories about all his old junk. 4 ramp trucks, a mid 50s buick, a late 30s olds, 32 bantam kit car and a saweeet model a box truck as well as buildings stuffed with wheels, caps, and boxes of parts almost sums it up. If anyone needs a hubcap i know where there is almost every cap ever made stock or aftermarket! I foumd a 52 packard dish in a pile of snow by the gate when i drove in...theyre everywhere! Franklin, caddy, olds, hudson, flippers, anything amd everything

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life around Old Cars and things always unfolds in many ways...some not so gracious but that's a really cool custom...I hope it goes to a Hamber...There should be a feature on it, It deserves it...I'm not fond of the lettering across the windows but it paints the picture over the years...Surprised you aren't all over it but we all are in our own places in life and our interests vary in Hotrod/Custom...
    Very nice of you to share this with us all...I can't wait to see it all shiny again and also more on its history...truly interesting...

22. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Its way out of my league. Im trying to buy a house and have 2 hot rods of my own im building. Would love this car but the time just isnt right for me

bchctybob, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  23. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Glimpses into the Era we revere here...Memories forever...

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess you haven't found the photo album yet...you know in the box under the trophies...:)

....wouldn't that be awesome eh!!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. Man, that is one KOOL bird!

Stogy and oliver westlund like this.
  28. jaracer

jaracer

Definitely a 55 with the flat steering wheel. I thought earlier you mentioned an Olds engine? The engine is definitely a Ford Y block, either a 292 or a 312.

29. alchemy

alchemy

It just has a bird on the Olds valve cover. Note the hold down bolts are closer together. And the intake ports are next to each other instead of on top of each other.