Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I need your opinions on color choice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crapgame, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

YOUR car, YOUR choice... The Photoshopped yellows doesn't look too bad. Different! If you decide on wire wheels, get a can of that water soluble spray paint and see how you like it in person.

crapgame and Stogy like this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Lose the white walls and keep the Torque Thrusts. White walls and mags don't go well together, they work better with oem steelies or chrome reverse wheels. Wire wheels on cars after the 30's were primarily used on luxury cars or ones wanting to make a luxury statement, most Ford's don't fit that mold, exception would be the TBird.

Just my .03, adjusted for inflation...

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just me but if you look closely at the two pics Stogy posted and do it quickly looking back and forth between the two cars, the one with the chrome wire wheels seems to have a thinner profile to the body from the side. Maybe because it picks up the belt line trim? I don't know? The yellow on the other hand seems to make the body profile look a little wider. Probably an optical allusion. Just my 2 cents...

Stogy likes this.
  4. I think the first question to answer is: Is it a hot rod or a custom?

Second: What stance are you going for when you lower it?

crapgame, Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  5. First reaction: Yellow wires?!

gimpyshotrods and 210superair like this.
  6. All that car really needs is ditch the whitewalls and go with black walls. I love yellow and I love that car, but yellow wire wheels?? Nah.

7. dwollam

dwollam

I'm with those that say keep the current wheels and go to blackwall tires. Beautiful car!

Dave

8. indyjps

indyjps

Yeah, I just love a high end trim car with a nasty stance.
    It's a great looking car no matter what wheels are chosen. If wires, go chrome.

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for no painted wires. If you insist on wires they should be chrome, for as long as the chrome lasts anyway.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    Stogy, gimpyshotrods and 427 sleeper like this.
  10. 5window

5window

I like this. So x2. No wires, any color.

F-ONE and 210superair like this.
  11. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I definitely agree if you keep the current wheels, blackwalls. But depends what look you want. Bias plys and steel would look great. Guthrie's car is beautiful.

Slammed regardless. Low as she'll go imho, sitting even.

Beautiful car btw, congrats.

alanp561 and F-ONE like this.
  12. I say uneven. Higher in back for a hot rod; lower in back for a custom.

crapgame likes this.
  13. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

For me it takes a certain car to be a tail dagger, and this car ain't it.

alanp561 and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. I too am casting a no vote for painted wires. And, a question back to you...have you ever tried to keep chrome wires polished up?

I can see your car with blackwall big and slightly smaller littles, on chrome reversed wheels. It would look like an early 60's era cruiser where the owner found a 6-8 year old cream puff and was starting on a mild custom. The next on the owners plan would be saving money for a white tuck and roll interior.

210superair and alanp561 like this.
  15. crapgame

crapgame

First off, to everyone who offered his/her opinion on this question, a sincere thank you. H.A.M.B. is a great forum and to be able to hear the thoughts of so many interested and experienced people is invaluable. A special shout-out to Stogy, whose Photoshopped pic of a yellow '56 with yellow wires gives me a great idea of how the car would look if I went with this unusual idea. A decision about wheels is very much a work in progress. Priority 1 is to get the car lowered, and after throwing out $1,000 for a high-quality lowering kit, another $2,000 for wires isn't immediately in the cards. I will say this, though: Mike, my street rod main man, always talks about "OOTO," which is his acronym for "out of the ordinary." Like most of you, Mike objects to the yellow wires. But in Stogy's two photos, I found both the yellow and chrome wires attractive, and the yellows get huge bonus points for OOTO. (TAKE THAT, Mike!) Even if the chromes are a shade more attractive on an absolute scale -- and I think that's something of a toss-up -- doing something just a bit unconventional has an appeal that I might not be able to withstand.

16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you stayed up so late...you made me a convert;). Both versions, with a little lowering, look pretty good:).

Admittedly, I've been guilty of the same thing. Picked up a set of pretty rusty 80 spoke rims at a yard sale for $25. I painted them silver/gray, added stainless trim rings and used them on my Wife's Panel Deliv.
    0.07.jpg

17. I was surprised. The photoshopped yellow wires look pretty good! I would remove more of the badging to give it an even cleaner look. Chrome wires would better fit a hardtop than a Tudor ,imho.

crapgame, anthony myrick and Stogy like this.
  18. I look at the photochop with the yellow wires and wonder if a larger diameter wheel would be an improvement in the front arch.

crapgame, 210superair and Stogy like this.
  19. Yellow would make your car confused. that era car an chrome wires.
    Remember it is not a '30s car its a '50s car.

hotrodjack33, crapgame, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  20. I have painted wires on both my 32 Fords. Do not put them on that 56 Ford! My choice would be regular rims with Dodge Lancers . It’s your ride so do what you want. You did ask!:rolleyes:

hotrodjack33, Kiwi 4d and Stogy like this.
  21. OP stated he likes the idea of "out of the ordinary", likes yellow with the chrome wires, and it is an original idea of his own for his/this car..seems a no brainer to me OP needs to love it, and live with it.
    Since he did ask, I'd go with chrome wheels and spyder caps on that car, after it's lowered.

22. Since you are in California go with the west coast style. Level drop, chrome TBird wires, no gee gaws like skirts and a continental kit. Tuck and roll in the package tray. A little Tommy the Greek style striping. Glass pacs with pencil tips. That’s a really nice car. Treat it right.

23. 5window

5window

That is why why it is YOUR car.

24. The painted looks better than I would have thought.

25. v8flat44

v8flat44

Well, I love it the way it is except maybe a smaller white wall. That said, if it were mine, I'd give it a mild rake with a smaller white wall & a set of 15" Lancers from this guy : http://www.kingofdice.com/. I love Lancers .....& the ones I got were nice quality.

hotrodjack33, crapgame and Stogy like this.
  26. For the tire fix. You can just have the tires flipped to the black wall side out.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Low-Chrome_NS.jpg

:rolleyes:...Wire Wheel Cover/Rims with Chrome rims? & No Skirts

VictoriaDrop_LincolnWS.jpg

:rolleyes:...56 Lincoln Wheel covers with Yellow rims & Skirts

VictoriaDrop_LincolnNS.jpg

:rolleyes:...56 Lincoln Wheel covers with Yellow rims & No Skirts

VictoriaDrop_Tbirdcap.jpg

:rolleyes:...55/‘56 Ford TB/Pass Wheel covers with Yellow rims & Skirts

VictoriaDrop_TbirdcapNS.jpg

:rolleyes:...55/‘56 Ford TB/Pass Wheel covers with Yellow rims & No Skirts

VictoriaDrop_LancercapWS.jpg

:rolleyes:...Lancer Wheel covers with Yellow rims & Skirts

VictoriaDrop_LancercapNS.jpg

:rolleyes:...Lancer Wheel covers with Yellow rims & no Skirts

@crapgame, here's an array of combinations of inspirations for you and the others to look over to aid in decisions...I'm not sure whether the wires are Wheel covers or actual Wheels...and I've left the whites over blackwalls as it seems to me your leaning Custom over Hotrod with lowering and wires...So elegance over Moonshine running is where I was leaning...

I did raise up the front about an 1" to give some minor slope over the near level I had it in the first offerings...

As mentioned a team of Artists in the Photoshop Thread I shared are more than willing and capable of any other combinations you might seek...

I have enjoyed these, quite varied complimentary mods to this Fairlane...

Regarding Painted wires I honestly am hoping more of those that were on the street and at those shows in 60 too 65 could weigh in on validating what they saw...

If they saw painted wires that's really all that is needed to validate it as a plausible mod...to me I like to believe and feel like I'm truly in the warp so to speak as best as possible...My old Hotrod to a large degree achieves this despite a couple minor non visible details...

...Customs are not like Hotrods in the sense that Traditionally they are built in a One off, One of a Kind theme with some typical commonalities...

I suggest you have some fun here and go through some Threads on Tri Five Ford Customs or just Customs to get some inspiration on Vintage Themes based on 1965 and prior in Styling and to be frank, the mid 50s to mid 60s were the golden years for these Automobiles...

I look forward to your journey with this beauty...

Credit to All That Inspired These

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    fauj, ct1932ford, v8flat44 and 4 others like this.
  28. For me I would actually give the car a level boost towards the sky .....blackwalls and hubcaps. The color combo is awesome and no need to accentuate it with glitter . These are just my likes . Also depending on the look or theme sound weighs in too . Is it a quiet reserved stock sound , a soft rumble , loud attention getter, etc? There are a lot of things that define a car for a perfect blend of wow factor. Good luck with the decision .

crapgame likes this.
  29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Stogy

Minor correction. Pretty sure those “57 t-bird wheel covers” are standard ‘55/‘56 Ford passenger and t-bird full wheel covers. As I recall, ‘57 t-bird covers have ‘fluted’ or ‘louvered’ look and were t-bird only.

Ray

hotrodjack33 and Stogy like this.