Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Power window lube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thunder Road, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

First off, Happy New Year!! No matter what your 2021 was like, I pray that your 2022 outshines it by 20-fold.

Now about the windows-they are 16 years old and have spent most of their life up.
    They are very slow going up, sometimes even needing assistance.

Looking for advice as to what track lube would be best. I think that the right lube would let them slide easier- up and down. I tried some dry graphite, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas or experiences?

2. scotts52

scotts52

I have used white lithium grease. Always wondered what the manufacturers use though as it is never the color of whatever I use. Sometimes it sure looks like the white lithium grease, other times it's almost an opaque yellowish.

I would also as that you use some kind of cleaner to remove the old grease first. When that stuff dries up it's like sliding a tire across a greased path rather than having it roll through the grease.

indyjps likes this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Sil-glyde. NAPA sells it.

Bob Lowry, WB69, Elcohaulic and 3 others like this.
  4. First, FIRST of all, FIRSTLY ...... Clean the tracks and roller assemblies as best as you can. Then use lithium grease. You will really love the results, with clean rails, and new lubricant! :) :) :)

Elcohaulic, VANDENPLAS and indyjps like this.

5. egads

egads

6. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but most of you guys are suggesting things that I had thought would soak into the material that lines the tracks, thereby making the channels smaller and making it harder for the glass to slide thru....
    Would it matter if lithium grease soaks into the track material?
    Would it swell it up or just get it so slippery that it won't matter?

7. I’ve used spray silicone with good success. Got it from our local Rural King.

VANDENPLAS and egads like this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

This goes on the rail the bushings slide on. it is also used on the gears. Not the rubber tracks or window rubber.

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

WD makes a dry-lubricant that's been suggested for the seals. Silicone too. My beater's driver side window has been dragging for awhile. Might mess with it today & report back.

10. Silicone spray is what is recommended by oems for window slides and rubber bits to keep everything clean and supple.

but as has been said , you need to get it all clean , old dirt, grime, grease , cleaned off snd then new stuff applied.

sil-Glyde would work good also anything “ slippery” that won’t harden or gum up overtime is what you want.

11. I have to make sure my driver side window works nice and easy or I can’t eat. (McDonald’s, etc, drive through)

VANDENPLAS and Hamtown Al like this.
  12. partssaloon

partssaloon

On the window channels you can use bar soap. Just rub the bar in the channel .

38 Hump and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. garyf

garyf

Silicone spray for rubber channels. Disk brake wheel bearing grease for tracks,rollers and regulator gears and joints. White lithium cakes up and when cold hardends .

vtx1800 likes this.
  14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Are you sure you just don't have an electrical connection that doesn't have real good contact? I'd try disconnecting a window and running some jumper wires from the battery to the connector and see if it makes a difference.

Truckdoctor Andy and stanlow69 like this.
  15. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Try relative bearing grease.

16. Manufactures used white lube 20 years ago.

17. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

3M makes a dry silicone spray lubrication that I bought for the double hung windows in my house, I was having issues with the windows in my Belair and also used it on my wife’s OT car with really good results. It didn’t harm paint or interior panels.

18. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

KY! That shit is slick!