Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A nice coupe for the money

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Boxcar's 1928, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh do I like that stuff...the Vanilla one...:D

Boxcar's 1928 likes this.
  2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I like almonds but bugger if I could find a way to milk them!

3. Anderson

Anderson

Humans shouldn’t drink other animals milk but I like 2% and cheese and ice cream.

Almond milk is really almond juice but it’s fine on corn flakes.

That is a good deal on a Model A and if I wanted a coupe I’d be all over it.

4. alchemy

alchemy

A dozen years ago my brothers and I bought a body with a munched back half for about half the OP price. We spent a winter practicing our TIG welding on it, using donor quarters from another car and little bits and pieces from a dozen other cars. All the used parts together couldn't have cost us $200. The Brookeville decklid skin was the most expensive thing we added. When we were done we had a really solid coupe body with no rust. We ended up selling that bare body for $5,000 (this was a decade ago), and the buyer drove from Texas to Iowa to pick it up. Here it is now.

IMG_3208.JPG

I truly do think that coupe at the top of this thread is worth over $3,500 all day long.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Neato...such an awesome Coupe...

And a great story...and that does highlight if you have the capabilities you can make things fall into place like they were meant to be...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  6. 5window

5window

I really like these What's It Worth threads, but,of course, it's only worth what someone will pay for it, whether it's a rusty Model A or the Hirohata Merc. In either case, no one's come up with the asking price yet and the A has already been reduced 30%. Not worth losing HAMB friends over. Happy New Year.

Stogy, 40FORDPU and Boxcar's 1928 like this.
  7. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

These threads make me laugh, The reason why some guys will say something is not worth another guys asking price is we all come from different walks in life, For example the guy who makes 10k per month will value things differently than the guy who makes $2000 per month. bottom line is supply and demand will always set the average sale price of everything. There are still guys ranting about the 33 3 window body that was laying out in the field that sold up in south Dakota back in September for $48K at the Vanderbrink auction. I stopped bidding at 28K Not because I did not think it wasn't worth more money but because I simply did not have more money to pay for it at that time. $3500 for this project seems very reasonable too me, But it is very easy for me to drop $3500 on a project like this at this point in my life. But for someone living paycheck to paycheck and busting their ass 50-60 hours a week just to survive, I can see how they would think this is too much money. Someone pointed out that there are a lot of good model A's out there right now that can be had for $10K which is true but not a fair comparison. There is a big difference between spending $3500 on a project or $10K for a project. The guy who buys this for $3500 will most likely pay more in the long run than just buying a $10k better condition coupe. But when you can't come up with $10k to spend, But can come up with $3500 and do the rest a dime at a time. This is the route to go if you want a model A coupe. I can say I have sold rougher 30-31 coupes for more than this one is priced for and did not twist anyones arm to buy them. I know in the last 25 years I have bought, sold, and traded probably over 30 model A's and the bulk of them have been coupes. I still own four 30-31 coupes now. To summarize I think $3500 is a very fair price for this project.

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and of course location...

9. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone else notice all the other cars lurking behind that $1800 Tudor??? Green car looks chopped???

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was looking for a Chopped Model A...:oops:...now if you would have said shoebox...:D...I figured it out eventually...Happy New Year Pete...;)

Looks like a Hudson...

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  11. -Brent-

-Brent-

@hotrodlane what you say is on 100% point.

I started with a $3k-ish coupe body and I've paid dearly. Hahaha.

12. birdman1

birdman1

Well said hotrodlane, I buy cheap junk and spend the money on it when I have it. I did the reverse mortgage on my house to get some money to get started in my lifetime desire to build hotrods. I make it work. Happy New year

13. chev34ute

chev34ute

I think some perspective is needed. No one outside of the US would claim that’s overpriced.
    Here in Australia you would expect to pay more than that just for the body.

I typed in Model A for sale in Australia and this was the only one that came up. This is a complete Pheaton, it’s in better condition than the coupe, but it’s also the least desirable of and most common of all the passenger models.

That price is not a typo.
    F5030F67-6207-4647-8FFE-4A48FAA72E1E.jpeg F2980754-4167-4C9C-A718-3454EF466324.png

trikejunkie, Boxcar's 1928 and Stogy like this.
  14. chev34ute

chev34ute

My point is, rather than complain about paying $3500 for a complete Model A coupe, just be grateful that you have the freedom to be able to look elsewhere if you don’t like the price.

There are vendors here in Australia that would buy that coupe along with several others, stack them in a container and ship them back here.

That same coupe here would easily sell for ten grand, I kid you not !

Boxcar's 1928, Stogy and The37Kid like this.
  15. phat rat

phat rat

The green car is a Hudson and the 53 Ford is a wagon

Stogy and Boxcar's 1928 like this.
  16. The Coupe is worth $3500 all day long. No matter what you make. Market is Market

17. 5window

5window

Point taken. It's all about location, finances,skill and desire.

18. 5window

5window

19. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

I'm surprised it's still available to be honest. But I'd also wager it'll get scooped up soon.

I'd hate for old sour puss 5window to get an "I told ya so" out of one of my threads. I believe I'd have to turn in my user name and come back reincarnated as "6window".

5window likes this.
  20. Why not put it in our classifieds forum?

5window and Boxcar's 1928 like this.
  21. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Agree, it's up in the classifieds and marked down to $3k.

loudbang likes this.
  22. 5window

5window

Nah, no worries, man. I hope it sells for you. Money's not the issue. Given my age and skill set and the fun of getting a title in PA,especially in a pandemic, it's just not for me.

Want to post the classified listing? Good luck.

23. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

I'm not selling it, I'm sharing it...it's in the classified section now.

Agreed, if you can't build it yourself....this would be an expensive project and your money may be be better spent with a car requiring less effort.

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I am seeing tons of A coupe bodies for sale for around $4-5 grand. All needing work. If they sell, I don't know. I'd love to have a 32, can't afford that so I thought, maybe an A coupe body? Now I can't afford one of those either.:D

25. 5window

5window

Being more than a little dense on this cold morning, I can't find it in the Classifieds. How is it listed? Thanks.

Can't find it on CL. Maybe it sold?

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it got deleted because it was a listing in the classifieds linking to a separate ad, which isn't allowed. But as far as I know it is still available. At least, the seller's ad was still active last I looked.

For east coast Model A material, it seems like a lot to work with if one is inclined to build one.