Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Routers and Aluminum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Dec 31, 2021.

1. patterg2003

patterg2003

Two friends & I built a 4 seat airplane and made good use of a 3hp Hitachi router on a lot of aluminum. Carbide bits work well but better with quality bits. Flush cut or template bearings to run against a pattern works well as previously mentioned. Direction of the router cutter on an edge is critical. Consider a jig to run the router in or against and make light cuts. Aggressive cuts will give a good chatter as aluminum is very dry. Make sure the work piece is well secured. A good idea is to buy a foot switch that the router plugs in for easy on and off. If the router starts to get out of control it is easier to control the router with both hands and take the foot off the switch. I heard so many stories of people getting hurt so be aware of line of fire and wear good eye protection. It can go sideways quick. I have my router and router table marked with arrows so I feed it the cutter to avoid " climb mill". The router bit direction is critical because the wrong direction will grab the side of the piece, get traction on the piece then its over.
    The foot switch just makes it easier to to work with. I use the foot switch on the table saw when it is easier for cutting bigger boards. We rubbed a bar of hand soap on the hacksaw blade teeth, on the metal files and against the metal band saw teeth for a rotation before using the tools on any aluminum. The soap keeps the aluminum from galling and sticking in the teeth as it will really foul up the tools. Have a good work plan, do it in increments, stay safe and have fun.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I've used a table saw to cut 3/8 aluminum tooling plate. Lots of hot chips. PPE IS A MUST! Used Windex for coolant on the mill. It lubricated and cooled the plate just fine. And cleanup was a breeze. Never thought to use a router however. I fully agree with all the comments on speed being the issue. If you have access to a Variac, a voltage reducing variable transformer , you might want to try it to lower the speed, but it also tends to reduce the power of the tool. I don't know if it will work with brushless motors. I use one to get in between speeds on my drillpress and antique lathe.

3. Used to use a big worm drive skilsaw to cut 1" aluminum plate and a miter saw to cut aluminum structural channels at work. Made a box jig to hold finned valve covers and used my router to remove the fins in an area to bolt on a breather. I also tilted the table on my drill press, clamped the covers down, and angled the cut end of the fins with a end mill bit. I've lightly rounded over a couple of pieces of aluminum plate on a router table, light cuts using the fence with no problem. I used some kind of waxy stick lube on the blades and bits. As long as you use both common sense and some safety gear it should go ok.