Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help. Identify this old bit of rust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Mcbeath, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Tom Mcbeath

Tom Mcbeath
    from Australia

Can't figure out year or badge of this can anyone help! Australian car.

Attached Files:

hotrodjack33 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

1937 chevy from over there

3. alchemy

alchemy

Could it be a 38?

4. Squablow

Squablow

Convertible too. Not a whole lot left, but that's a rare and valuable car. With a more complete donor sedan and some creative fill-ins that could be fixed maybe.

5. Tom Mcbeath

Tom Mcbeath
    from Australia

Missed posting this picture.. 38 chevs have the body line from front fender, down the door. Hence the confusion

Attached Files:

6. redo32

redo32

It's a Roadster. No side window opening and it has snaps for side curtains.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

In the US both 37 and 38 have the swish down the side. Onliest difference that you can tell from 20 feet away is a different grille assembly and hood. Probably some other small things as well though, and maybe a lot different in the Southern Hemisphere.

Hnstray and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stateside both 37 & 38 chevs have the body line from the fender onto the door. No roadsters though.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  9. swifty

swifty

There's a guy who lives in Lancefield, Vic by the name of Dylan Hayward who has 3 of those of only a handful that were built. I remember him telling me the story which was interesting. I think 2 are drivers and one parts car. If you have a look at this thread there is a partial pic of it at one of the stops on the run. May be others but it got a mention in one pic. Think it's on page 2. You may find Dylan on Instagram or Facebook as he's a "youngun"

10. The Australian made 37 & 38 sedans had no line down the side into the door. Also, a full steel body, but the local roadsters still had timber . Sedans and slopers also had a split rear window.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

2011-07-17 08.36.51.jpg
    2011-07-17 12.25.30.jpg 38 Chevy roadster, the Fisher body pressing (37/8) that extended into the 'A' pillar were absent on Ozzie GMH bodies. In addition I recall that the engine side curtain pressings were different as well particularly 37s . Ozzie roadsters didn't have wind up windows unlike Fisher bodies. That side curtain appears 38ish? The above features a dickie seat and not a trunk. My Holden book is packed away so I can't get to all the info and production numbers however it'd be a low production run.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  12. The staircase on the fender is particularly unattractive.

mgtstumpy, Hnstray and BJR like this.
  13. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Mate collect it take it home find a old 37/38 sedan that's not rusty bit of work you will have a cool car ,if it was a ford it would not be still there, better still find a 37/38 Pontiac or buick get a bit inventive around the rear bumper area you will have a cool car then

Hnstray likes this.
  14. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Car in OP's pictures appears to have a trunk as opposed to a rumble seat. Did they come both ways?
    Rumble seat steps are ugly on all cars that had them for sure!

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for that explanation. It was driving me crazy...It definitely has a '37-'38 (raised center) dash, but no body line on the doors.
    And, a roadster with vent windows...that's a first.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The firewall stamping was a dead giveaway as to Chevy origin…..but until I got to that pic I was :confused:

Ray

scotts52 likes this.
  17. cfmvw

cfmvw

I hope you rescued it! As others have pointed out, it would take some work, but you would end up with a really cool car.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The Australian bodies are different also in that they have way less bullet holes in them.

Hnstray, mgtstumpy and X38 like this.
  19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

In 1938 GMH produced 35 x Master roadsters, 185 x business roadsters and 126 x Sports roadsters. That could be a sports roadster with extended trunk lid?