Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 55 tbird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Dec 31, 2021.

1. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Anyone recognize this car? I have a feeling its been featured and has a history... Screenshot_20211230-222216_Messages.jpg

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neato...is it yours yet!!!...oozing Watson in the Flame Department...damn thats cool...thanks for the Happy New Year Fireworks @oliver westlund

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  3. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Its a friends! Just trying to help him out

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I think its been shown nationally, had some big trophies with some far away cities on em. Ill try to get more info tomorrow

6. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wrong rear for a 57, they had the longer quarters and fins. I can’t see the openings in the rear panel for the exhaust pipes (could be the picture and old eyes). Looks like a 56 center panel with the 55 bumper, no overriders. I can’t see if it has the vent on the front quarter behind the wheel (same problem and the flames). More pictures in better light if possible would help. Still a Y block? 5-6 years ago there was one up here (Kent WA) with a sbc. White, no flames, and later model recessed door handles. Looked like a fire restoration to me. I don’t think it’s that car.

chryslerfan55, RmK57, jaracer and 4 others like this.
  7. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Has a j2 olds under the hood, triple dueces

8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Olds with trip dueces

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if Custom painters discretely signed their Flame Jobs as did Pinstripers?

10. Anderson

Anderson

Hood full of louvers is really cool. Would love to see more pictures that aren’t screen shots.

oliver westlund and Stogy like this.
  11. oldolds

oldolds

No wing windows makes it a 55? No windows in top is 55 as well?

12. BJR

BJR

Round windows was a 57 thing IIRC. Later added to older tops as well.

13. loudbang

loudbang

See more details now. :)

Somebody was looking to buy or make a pair of those "Kickstand pipes" while back maybe they will pop in.

1a (2).jpg

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

15. squirrel

squirrel

well...sort of...it still doesn't have the detail, but at least now it fills up more of a computer screen, if you click on the image. Phone guys still won't see much.

bird.jpg

chryslerfan55 and stanlow69 like this.
  16. sunbeam

sunbeam

It also lacks the vent doors in the front fenders 55

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm, maybe it's a bit of a Custom...:)

18. I don’t recognize it, but it sure is kool!

Stogy likes this.
  19. I don’t know that I have seen many guys that do flames sign the paint job anywhere like stripers do. That is at least from when I was doing a lot of them and always checked out all the other flame jobs. I could mainly tell local guys just by their style. That was the only signature I saw. :D

20. 6sally6

6sally6

It looks nice (from what we can tell!!) but looking at the rear tail section...it ain't a 57!
    57 tail lights are canted/slanted were as 55 &56 the tail lights were straight up & down. (like the above car)
    OP was either pretty young or just didn't know.
    Many of us saw them when they were first introduced.........
    6sally6

chryslerfan55, deathrowdave and Stogy like this.
  21. It doesnt ring any bells to me, I know I've never seen it at any shows over the years. The flames look familiar, but I cant place a painter or other cars in my head right now. If you have older trophies, list some of the shows that it was in. I have alot of older programs from when Taboo was showing and I can dig through if it was at the same show and come up with name.

22. Definitely not a '57. Possible '55 with the; no wing windows, no front fender vents behind the front wheels could be a '56 with '55 fenders, roof is a '55 although all years will fit, not all '55's had the exhaust through the rear bumper over riders as it was an option, fuel filler in the trunk as all '55's and 56's but appears to have the fuel filler door in the trunk filled.

23. jaracer

jaracer

I believe the front end was the same from 55 - 57. The only difference was the front bumper which really changed the look of the front end in 57. While the little Birds are frame and body construction, the body is more like a unit body. The front fenders are welded to the body and only come off if you cut them off.

24. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I agree it's either a 55 or 56. Does appear to NOT have wing windows=55. No exhaust in tail panel=56.
    56=vent panel on side 55=no vent panel. All the hardtops are interchangeable (with mods to the rear clamps).
    Cool little bird. IMHO when they have been around this long, they ALL have some history. Does it make them worth more? More important to just have documentation. Good luck with it and let us know what you find out about it.

25. jaracer

jaracer

I looked this image over as well as I could and believe this is a 55 T-Bird. I don't see side vents in the front fenders and 55 hardtops did not have the opera window. Actually the opera window was an option in 56 and 57. I believe it was a no-cost option.

If I could see the dash and steering wheel I could place the year. The 55 had the see-through speedometer like a 55 Ford. Also the 55 had a flat steering wheel while the 56 and 57 had Ford's deep dish "safety" steering wheel.

chryslerfan55, Hnstray, egads and 2 others like this.
  26. Also the grille. '55 and '56 were the same but '57 is a one year only along with the bumper.

27. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I am going over tomorrow, will take good pics then and of trophies etc

chryslerfan55, Anderson and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please put the hood down as alluded it's generously louvered...;)

I'm always amazed at how little imagery exists of these wild things...especially awarded ones...

Much thanks Oliver...;)

29. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Absolutely!