Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949/50 Dodge project questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brandon B., Dec 30, 2021.

1. Brandon B.

Brandon B.

Hey all!
    I joined to get advice and inspiration for my soon to be new project! Seller says it’s a 1950 Dodge 2 door sedan, without title. I’m in Missouri, so I was wondering how hard it is to get a new title for it with bill of sale? Seller is a registered dealer of classic car projects also in Missouri. Another question I had is if anyone could tell me the exact model (I believe it’s a 1949 wayfarer but idk) ? I’m disabled and just looking for a cheap start to a weekend project to keep me busy. If I DO get it, I plan to do a 318/727 swap from Butch’s. What do you think!?

Attached Files:

scotty t likes this.
  2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

If it was left outside with no windows like that for any period, you need to check the floors and door jambs before buying. also behind dash. cool looking ass end on that.

3. Slopok

Slopok

Let the dealer arrange to get the title or don't buy it! Too many hoops to jump through.

hemihotrod66, Hnstray and oldiron 440 like this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

No title No purchase

hemihotrod66 and Hnstray like this.

5. Brandon B.

Brandon B.

Thanks guys. I guess I’ll pass on it. Wasn’t sure if getting a title would be an issue. I know there are places you can get them with a bill of sale

6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before you give up why not check with the Missouri Dept of Motor Vehicles. Some states make it tough, some not so much. I traded for my 38 Chevy (Iowa) and all I had was a bill of sale. I checked with the Motor Vehicle folks in Des Moines (this was 1977), they needed a tracing of the "VIN" tag and a surety bond. I think the bond was $50 or so.

The seller should be able to assist....if he isn't, well then maybe there are problems that should preclude the purchase.

https://dor.mo.gov/motor-vehicle/titling-registration/

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Brandon B.

If you are buying from an actual licensed dealer I certainly would expect him to obtain a valid Missouri title to transfer ownership. I agree with the others…..no title-no deal.

That is a ‘49 Wayfarer …….Shorter wheel base than standard two and four door models. Cool roof and deck shape. Would make a nice project if a sound car, but looks like it has been badly neglected.

Many, many years ago I had a ‘49 two door and a few Plymouths. The Mopars drove better than GM and Ford products of the era.

Ray

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

My 49 truck came from MO with a MO state issued title and vin number issued in 2020, It was a project too, so I know it can happen somehow.

The floor boards didn't normally fair too well with this era Plymouth with all the glass still there. Missing glass could mean its slightly worse then normal, or a lot worst then normal. I'd guess that how bad you want the car should be the determining factor.

Swapping in a 318/727 is a good plan, but it does involve a lot of work. I would also expect to be replacing all the original brakes, and probably updating the original 6 volt wiring. If you can do the work, it could be a pretty cool cruiser. Gene

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I don't think this is the car for you. Truthfully, I think you should run, title or not.

10. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

no such thing as a cheap project anymore unless you have a running , driving parts car for everything you need ..ie..drivetrain , wiring harness , seats , clips , brackets...etc...etc..not to mention the time involved chasing down all the little things...Auto parts stores dont let you in the back areas anymore...lets say your looking for a upper radiator hose to fit 318 to 49 radiator..not gonna happen anymore..insurance regulations they say...on a side note...you can order eeverything online and if your patient and have time to search you can get amazing deals online with shipping to your door....its your decision which way makes sense...just have fun...

11. junkman8888

junkman8888

The reason the seller doesn't want to provide you with a clear title is the cost starts at around 300$ and the powers that be make the process a pain in the ass. It's just another reason I don't live there.

12. George

George

Lots of threads on the 46-54 Mopars, not a lot of differences.

13. mchev150

mchev150
    from Virginia

I have a 52 wayfarer with title sitting in the garage if you are interested. Much better condition. Located in Virginia