Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you do for a living

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 210superair, Jan 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of schooling….wonder if he can fix anything:rolleyes:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just 30 more to go eh!

3. I open safes and bank vaults that the customer can't. About 30 years of it.
    Terry aka dirt t

4. Slacker......and I'm good at it :).

5. Ran bicycle shops for a decade or more.
    Helped launch Strider Bicycles
    Ran the front end of a rodshop for several years
    Been doing logistics and dispatch in trucking for the last dozen years. Bulk transport fuel, cement and flyash

6. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Other than Military I beat on cars most of my life

mad mikey, Lil32, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  7. MFJL

MFJL

Hopefully not 30…..I’m hoping another 28! ⚡️

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Lil32, 210superair and Deuces like this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

4 more years and I retire piss poor broke.... :(

9. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

There's a thread on here somewhere where a younger guy was talking about how expensive our hobby is. One of the older hambers chimed in 'I remember those days, being young and broke. But I've found after a lifetime of hard work, I'm no longer young...'

I found that hi-larious.

10. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe he was right....

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried to keep my “hot rodding” to a minimum after getting married and starting a family. (Actually it’s stopped) I started saving for retirement at 25 in a stock purchase plan and never stopped. I wanted to race and found overtime at work to do it. Some years no OT so no racing. We’ve lived in the same and only house we ever bought 50 years and been married 55. Because I didn’t or wouldn’t stop saving, we live very comfortable now and have twice the amount I retired.

I still have my first and second race cars and the only street cruiser I ever wanted. We bought nice stuff and paid cash most of the time if we could. We don’t live cheap anymore.

My advice to the young starting out. Choose wisely. Find a skill, craft, job etc: that will always be needed, can’t be done by robots, and pays well and always had. For me it was in the electrical field. Not everyone can be or wants to be a lineman and thank God.

It seems 90% of my friends now were firemen or worked for cities in a maintenance job. They are OK too, even with divorces and other problems. Children made our lives very trying at times but we worked thru it tough as it was then.

As an example from my dad, I learned to do everything I could when something broke by fixing myself. Never called a roofer, appliance repair, or plumber ; our son and son-in-law are the same. Now I call them because I can and not feel guilty with spending money.

I like reading here what other HAMBERS did and do. I know I’m not alone…. Guys, keep on doing whatever you love at any speed you can…

12. Now that's some good advice Jimmy Six!

13. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I don't go on roofs anymore afraid of heights. But you're right, fix don't replace. Just got a replacement motor assembly for SWMBO's powered recliner. Under warranty no less! Shouldn't take more than an hour to have it up and running, or sitting and reclining rather.

And a good career and investments.

14. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

35 years in special effects for film, now producing and directing more.
    Hope to retire in 5-6 years

Okie Pete, mad mikey, wraymen and 3 others like this.
  15. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Now that's a different entry. Cool!

16. Retired last December at 73, 49 years in conveyor system design, sales and distribution. From working for a manufacturer to starting our own company. Still miss it!

wraymen, Okie Pete, jimmy six and 6 others like this.
  17. I'm a whore...uh...HORSE holder at Madam Orr's House" (Jack Elam in 'Support Your Local Sherriff", IIRC)

18. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon
    from Ferguson

How’s the benefits??? Any Perks???

Deuces likes this.
  19. noboD

noboD

Jack Elam was the best!!

20. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

A happy ending at least?

Jack Wagon and Deuces like this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

:rolleyes::D

Jack Wagon and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Lots of road apples!

Jack Wagon likes this.
  23. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon
    from Ferguson

get ‘em while they’re hot!

Deuces and '28phonebooth like this.
  24. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Im betting occasional roadkill too!!

Deuces and Jack Wagon like this.
  25. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon
    from Ferguson

325879A4-82D3-43E6-BE18-C35AB6EE506F.jpeg 38AAA756-8AC5-46AC-81DA-F2FA6CD675FB.jpeg Remodeling and Repair in the STL area…

26. Started in a garage changing oil and doing inspections in high school, A.S. in General Studies followed by going to continuing education classes for auto body. Decided I didn't want to to be dirty and got a B.A .in Art History, apprenticed for 2 years in fine art restoration followed by a M.A. in Art Conservation, worked in several museums including Smithsonian Air and Space and Henry Ford and after 12 years of working making money for others in their private businesses the wife and I opened our own private fine art restoration business where we do work for museums and art collectors all over the south east. I work on mostly oil paintings and my wife does 3D art like outdoor sculpture and glass. If you interested in looking www.savantandshutts.com This is a 400 year old profession and no robot is going to take this job and bad things happen when people try and do it themselves (look up Monkey Jesus restoration).

We joke we took early retirement when we started our own business. We now work half the time and make all the money which is way more than we made working full time for others. Turning 50 this year and with 2 kids under 15 we still have some time left to work but as others have said its not really work if you like doing it.

Glitchy, Lepus, Okie Pete and 8 others like this.
  27. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

Cool reading all these stories and backgrounds. So many people from many different walks of life all here to talk, learn, network, admire cars and craftsmanship.
    Me…I am a high school teacher and football coach. 17 years now. Been in 4 different states, coached in college for a few years. Been a high school head coach for last 5 years. Doesn’t leave much time for my projects, but I tinker when I can. Offensive line is my specialty…was as a player now as a coach.
    Dad was a welder and fabricator. He always had a project in the garage. Grandpa rebuilt Model A’s. Did that full time after he retired from age 55-94. Both are gone now. Guess I’m carrying the torch.

28. Very cool! I was fortunate enough to get a tour of the Smithsonian’s work shop in Suitland Md. Amazing work going on. At the time they were restoring a rare Japanese plane from WWII along with many other planes and artifacts.
    One of my favorite perks working for DC’s power company. I got to go in a bunch of places where the public was not allowed.

Lepus, sidewayzz69, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  29. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A body man since the 80s. I got tired of that and went into paintless dent repair in 94. I now do both I can't make up my mind.

30. Jacob O'Hara

Jacob O'Hara
    from Dorset, UK

22 and have recently started my own business maintaining and restoring classic and vintage cars, however it makes cars abit wearing as a hobby so... hoping to concentrate on manufacturing minibike frames instead! if the sums are correct it should pay for my hobbies, give me the satisfaction of manual work but also should keep me off the damp ground under old cars! ( that aren't mine!)

wraymen, Glitchy, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.