Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heating carb cleaner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Dec 30, 2021.

1. birdman1

birdman1

I am in the process of rebuilding Ford 94 carbs for the 6x2 drag star manifold for the 430 Lincoln engine. I bought a gallon of Berryman parts cleaner. Would it work better if I heated the carb cleaner? I am thinking about using a old crock pot to heat it. I want to get the oxidation off the outside of the carbs. I have a sandblaster cabinet, but really don't like the possibility of getting sand in the carburetor passages. Any ideas?

Deuces likes this.
  2. das858

das858

Heat helps , the old safety clean carb cleaner machine's we used back in the '70-'80s were heated and agitated , the agitation really helps and speeds up the process. I use an old crock pot with heavy duty vinegar and it does a nice job . Citric acid is supposed to do well also , i haven't tried it yet myself.

Deuces likes this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know about heating carb cleaner but this is what I use for a small poor man's hot tank. Just add your favorite cleaner/degreaser. I use this from Smart and Final. f0fe16c2-6aa2-4ad0-abeb-547be9cd487e.4dd39035953257378910347b467af42f.jpeg shopping.png

ElmCityGeoff and Deuces like this.
  4. das858

das858

The hot water / soap parts washing cabinets work fantastic for cleaning the visible areas on a carb , but I was never conviced they would clean internal passages. I'm sure a dishwasher would do equally well but would highly discourage it if you're married or have a girlfriend !

Deuces likes this.

5. birdman1

birdman1

Thought about borrowing the wife's vibrator to add some"Sonic" agitation! IOI

BJR, HotRod33, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Another yes vote. I just put the can on a propane bbq.

Deuces and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  7. 73RR

73RR

...hhhmmmm...what is the flash point?

egads, loudbang, lake_harley and 5 others like this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

Heat helps most any cleaning solution. I'd stay away from open flames.

Hot plate / crock pot / slow cookers are usually cheap at resale stores or garage sales. I always plug them into a GFCI and put them on a concrete floor with nothing around it, who knows the state of the electronics on a used cooker.

Deuces and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  9. Joe H

Joe H

WIN_20211230_14_22_01_Pro.jpg I just cleaned a carb in a crock pot set on high heat with 50/50% simple green and water. It did Ok, I think a little stronger mix would have been better. Final clean up was in a blast cabinet with worn out glass beads, it's almost dust but it does leave a really nice finish. Soda blasting leave a really nice finish also with no divots or marring, cleans up easy also. Cheap-o sand blaster works well with baking soda https://www.harborfreight.com/1-liter-abrasive-blast-gun-92857.html

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Tim and Deuces like this.
  10. Deuces likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

I used Berrymans to clean some pistons last year. 180k of carbon build up. An overnight soak wasn’t good enough, back in the pan they went. Two days later I was able to whisk the carbon off and out of the ring lands with a plastic bristle brush.
    If you’re not in a hurry just let the parts soak.

Deuces likes this.
  12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ive used a small ultrasonic cleaner that heats up to clean up gun parts, I'd bet it would work real well to clean up an old carb. Havent tried it; but Ive read here Pine Sol heated in crock pot will clean a carb really well also.

lake_harley and Deuces like this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Pine-Sol works for cleaning but monitor carefully as it will darken alloy castings if left too long