Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom Tubs , O/G tubs,all tubs -Thanks Lynn & Rik Hoving for many of the custom tub pics featured

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Lee Williamson, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

I just scanned through all 71 pages and not a single custom 32 or earlier phaeton has been built with rear skirts??? Seems like it could be a killer custom look

2. It's not a tub but it's just so Cool, it wants to be a tub. JW Couldn't help it.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Lil32

Lil32

4. Lil32

Lil32

5. Lil32

Lil32

6. 39 Ford tub, Packard grill, 48 Chevy bumpers, 49 Chevy license surround, twin spotlights and home made wind wings, pretty slick rig.

[​IMG]

7. European Renault with a Ford tub look
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Bowtie Coupe, echo ed, 40two and 4 others like this.
  8. Teanu covered 32 Ford tub from Lynn
    [​IMG]

9. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

I purchased this recently. One of the last few hundred tubs Ford built without side windows.

Attached Files:

10. [​IMG]

11. My favorite tub that got me started on tubs was based on a 38 similar to yours but chopped and sectioned with a 40 delux front end.
    [​IMG]

12. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

Mu understanding is the Ray Vega 38 had the body channeled, not sectioned. The 40 hood was sectioned and the front fenders stayed in place, with I am guessing something done to get the running boards to line up with the bottom of the front fenders. Looking at the height of the car, particularly between the door hinges, it appears the same as my car.
    Link to other discussion of this car on the HAMB: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...r-spotlight-valley-customs.50037/#post-633239

13. That's a Renault.

chryslerfan55 and 34 GAZ like this.
  14. You are correct, I just was being lazy when I described it. I worked with Clay Jensen for a couple of years and he told me they moved the front fenders up 5 inches on the cowl, then they used a second set of front fenders to extend them down to meet the running boards using one weld. Only the hood was sectioned.

Are you going to customize your tub? Here's my current tub. It's chopped 3 inches and has a Carson top. JW

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    LOST ANGEL, echo ed, 2Blue2 and 2 others like this.
  15. Good eye X38.
    And a big expensive Renault too. Chances of finding a big Renault tub like that though are pretty slim. These days more than likely worth more than a 1934 Ford tub. Heres my Renault grille as a comparison. The grille on the other hand not as expensive .
    Renault 1.JPG Renault 2.JPG

2Blue2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. The Uritta Tub from a 41 Ford sedan
    [​IMG]

17. junkman8888

junkman8888

Post 2104 could have been a "tub", if it had started out as a wagon and cut the top cut off--which reminds me, I have a four-door wagon rotting in the back yard...

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  18. 29 Ford tub with the folding windshield posts I sell here on the HAMB
    [​IMG]

MO_JUNK, 40two, Jim Bouchard and 5 others like this.
  19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Great thread. Here is mine. I'm looking for information on this car if anyone has any. I have a full explanation of the story in a thread here but the cliffnotes are that it was owned by a guy named Joe "Rebel" Passalaqua in the Bay Area during the 1960's, then sold to Harold Beal here in Portland, Oregon who owned it until his recent passing. I have a photo of the car from 1961, it is untouched since then. But I don't know when it was first put together, or anything more about Joe Passalaqua. If anyone knows anything about this car, please feel free to message me, I would appreciate it.

It has some distinctive features that may jog someone's memory. All of this was on the car as far back as the 1961 photos I have of it, it hasn't been touched since. But I suspect it was put together this way far before 1961:

-Chopped windshield
    -Pines trim
    -Bullnose
    -Solid hood sides
    -Shoebox gas door
    -39 Ford taillights
    -41 Ford bumpers with Chevy overriders
    -Filled cowl vent
    -Chromed dash
    -Chromed column shift
    -Wire wheels

tub2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  20. Thanks for posting your 36 Ford Custom Tub, it's really good looking with all the right mods for a late 40's to early 50's build.

21. IronandSteel, Looks like a Joe Passalaqua was a mob hit man for John Gotti, careful how the pot is stired. JW

1. Harold Beal | Stock Car Racing Wiki | Fandom
      stockcarracing.fandom.com/wiki/Harold_Beal
      Harold Beal. Harold Beal is a former NASCAR driver from Portland, OR. He competed in ten Sprint Cup Series events in his career, earning four top-tens. Beal got his career off to a running start during the 1956 season, competing in five races to finish 56th in the year end points. Beal, though, had some tough luck early in the season.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022