Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Introduction to Treasure Hunting

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.Ukrop, Dec 24, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Introduction to Treasure Hunting

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Sort of off topic but not really. There is a common post card that you can find regularly around here of the old coliseum in town from the 40's and early 50's. It closed and was turned into a skating rink and then into the Pontiac dealer (which puts it on topic) LOL.

You see them quite often but for some reason one day I decided to pick one up. On the back was the writing "Hi De Ho, me and the boys will be in town and wanted to drop a line to invite you on (whatever the date was, I don't remember) signed Cab Calloway.

The address (in different writing) was addressed to a prominent family in town. I've found many cool things but to me that simple post card has been one of the coolest.

I foolishly sold it to a local collector of local artifacts.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good score! I know that feeling when you thumb threw the photos just hoping for some gold.

4. Deuces

Deuces

Gold is where you find it.....;)

5. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to tell people I was a professional treasure hunter. I guess I still am. The art of eyeing a valuable part in a junkyard or looking for deals wherever I go is one that has served me well.
    Cool story!

6. cfmvw

cfmvw

Wow, a card from Cab Callaway! His sister Blanche was quite a singer back in those golden days of jazz, too!

Sort of related, I have a New Years postcard mailed from Yonne, France back in 1910. The sender mailed it to her nephews while waiting at the train station. The handwriting (in French) is simply exquisite, and her signature is a work of art. Penmanship is definitely a lost art these days.

7. topher5150

topher5150

Don't know if I've been lucky or blessed, but I have been able to score some good finds by keeping my ear to the ground especially with Facebook marketplace. Looking for estate sales, or someone looking to clear out their horde before their time comes that sort of thing.
    The car that I was originally going to buy, before the one that I have now, I found just by taking the back roads home every day keeping my eyes open for something.
    Unfortunately most of the junkyards, with cool stuff close to me, have been taken over by their kids and completely cleared out.

8. Very nice story! Thank you.

Gives a warm feeling of days gone by. I think all of us have a bit of treasure hunter in us. Me personally (besides everything auto related of course) I am a collector of many things & have some knowledge of values & rarity of other things I do not collect. I love that feeling of finding small treasures in out of the way places like described.

God Bless & Happy New Year
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

chryslerfan55, Deuces and cfmvw like this.
  9. jim snow

jim snow

Cool story Joey. Thanks. Snowman ⛄️

Deuces and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  10. The main John King Bookstore is near Cobo Hall (now called TCF Center) where the Detroit Autorama is held.

Hard to tell but it looks like the 57 may have a spotlight on the drivers side. In about 1962, my Dad bought a black 57 convert with a spotlight from a Ford dealer about 10 miles south of Dearborn in Flat Rock, Mi.

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It could be your dad's! And I love the original King's. I spent many a cold December day wandering the stacks during my Christmas breaks. I've written about the place several times here on The Jalopy Journal, most recently here.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Great story. But when i read "it used to be a hobby shop", I thought back to when i went to an old hobby shop!! i thought you were going to say you found Old model cars. train sets, and other hobby shop things. I guess I'm still a kid at heart. I'm now retired, i have time to hit spots like that. Not your intentions, but many thanks for the flashback!!!!
    And my last name is King, wonder if I could get family discount?????

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Old hobby shop? Model cars? You're going to get a kick out of next week's post.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

looking forward to it!