Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1963 Ford 406

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pat Gauntt, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Back in '63 our small town (pop. 1500) Ford dealer sold 2 of those. Both 63 1/2 fastbacks. 1 406 4 barrel and 1 xl 406 3x2. I thought I needed one and fortunately for me, the 427 came out before I ordered so I got a 427. Within a couple years the black XL was on the used car lot for a pretty cheap price. The single 4 bbl car got repossessed with no engine or transmission and a 292 in the trunk. At 9000 miles I traded my 427 off after someone broke the wind wing and stole my tach. Oh, if we had only known................
    63fords.JPG

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Early 60's Galaxies were one of the unappreciated cars in the 70's. I was working at a truck manufacturing plant in 1974, when a friend came to work one morning, and asked me if I wanted a 63 Galaxie. My answer was no, as I was driving a 65 Falcon hardtop, with a 289-4 speed, and it was right after the big, nationwide "gas crunch". He said, "are you sure, it's a 406-4 speed, and you can get it for 50 bucks" ! Well, that got my attention, so he went to give the particulars about the car. His Mother bought it new, and drove it 8 years, and then sold it to another woman she worked with. The lady was driving to work that morning, and had some trouble and pulled it to the curb in North Portland. I would imagine that it would have been a handfull, keeping up the maintenance of the solid lifters and dual point ignition. Since my friend rode a motorcycle to work, we hatched a plan for him to bring a tow rope, and meet me at the car, after work. I hustled home and got my 65 Ford PU, we put his bike in the back of my truck, and I flat towed him the 30 or so miles out here, I paid him, and he rode home. It was a 63-1/2 XL that was Rose Beige, and had a few minor bumps and bruises, with 91,000 miles, 385 hp. I got it running and took it down the road, and barely got it back up my hill. It was making some squealing noises. Since there wasn't really any demand for those cars, I decided to part it out. I sold the engine to a friend, who had it rebuilt for his 4 WD pickup. The cast iron headers went on my 65 pickup, where they have been since 1975. I still have the surge tank, generator, and the complete flywheel, bellhousing, starter, and the clutch, with half the facing gone on one side, the main reason for the sale. I ended up giving the rest of the car (minus rear end) to a guy, just to get rid of it. As most of this stuff, if we had only knew, what we know today.

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

1963 1/2 Ford Galaxies...
    The best of them all.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One of my Uncles had a 63 1/2 390 fastback. Red inside and out, bench seat, 3 on the tree. It got tired, he bought a rear ended 63 1/2 for the motor——-427 with two fours! I was about 10 years old, got to “ help” by handing him wrenches while he changed them out. The wrecked car was black with black buckets, console and 4 speed, I tried to get him to change to the 4 speed and the black interior, but he wouldn’t do it.

He sold it to his brother a few years later, who in turn sold it to his brother in law, who sold it and it vanished. I have tried to track it down for years, but the trail goes cold after the brother in law sold it. What was funny, he ended up being my brother in law for a couple of years, but that was way after he had sold the 63.

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My Buddy is a USMC Vietnam vet . Bought his 63 1/2 427 8V , with 13000 miles for $1000.00 still has it today and is in the process of getting it road worthy again . He says he is told and no time to restore it . His time is occupied in his 1966 427 Cobra ! Great friend , has been a great mentor to me , he has taught me many , things to learn to repair my stuff . He is the type of person that will teach you how to make repairs and explain mechanical functions to you , but wants you to fix it yourself to learn . Long live the FE , my friends !

SOHC427, bchctybob, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  6. I traded 2 front fenders for a 65 f100 for a 61 390 hp , tri power , cast iron shorties . Guy rebuilt the engine ,couldn't get it to run properly .turns out he had hydralic cam and lifters in the engine , 61hp is not drilled for hydraulics.
    Still running the motor .

SOHC427, bchctybob, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  7. From what I have read, the 406 may have been a swap by some dealers. If you had the paperwork on that it would add provenance if the VIN code didn't back it up.

bchctybob, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  8. hipojoe

hipojoe

Congratulations on your find... This is where TOTAL performance began for us FORDOFILES. After hearing and seeing my first 406 run in the 70s I was hooked. It might have been a little overweight we called it 2 tons o fun! Ford caught up quickly with the mighty 427 and the rest is history. For us FE guys the sight and sound emitted from those engines is one of the most gratifying experiences in person. Enjoy the ride. I have a 62 406 drivetrain needing to find a chassis if anyone knows where to find one let me know! Happy Holidays

9. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice score! I'd replace all the seals and rubber, rebuild the carbs and drive the snot out of it.

10. pitman

pitman

406 was the sound track source,
    for....
    Wait for it!
    409! :p

11. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I have a '63.5 Z code 390, 4 speed project car. Engine newly rebuilt as is chassis. Ready for paint but not sure what color to go with. It has complete XL500 interior with buckets and center console in turquoise so thinking either original Wimbledon white or maybe black.

I keep thinking about selling the car but then read threads like this and think that if I did sell, I'd regret it.

IMG_2926 (Small).JPG IMG_2928 (Small).JPG IMG_4144 (Small).JPG IMG_4146 (Small).JPG

12. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Considering the rarity of parts for that engine and current sourcing/shipping hassles, I wouldn't touch a thing if not completely necessary. Clean the engine and check for leaks. May as well pull the valve covers and replace gaskets if they leak because you need to check valve adjustment anyway. If it uses less than 2 quarts between changes, I wouldn't touch it besides maintenance.

Joe

bchctybob, mad mikey, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  13. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ooooh, that was cold!

mad mikey, Deuces and pitman like this.
  15. pitman

pitman

Remember when Ford vs Chev,
    was all the rage. :)

Deuces likes this.
  16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Those chassis were used by NASCAR teams for years... of every make.

bchctybob, mad mikey, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a friend that used that chassis under a 62 Comet, and a 66 Fairlane, both Stock Cars.

bchctybob, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A few years before my time but always heard it referred to as "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday".

mad mikey likes this.
  19. hipojoe

hipojoe

The 409s often had their way with the ol 406s until Ford introduced the Magnificent 427s... Which would suck the doors off the 409s. The truck motor had its time and the rest is history. So began the one upsmanship of the top 3 all the way up to a L88- HEMIS- Cammers ... What a wonderful time!!!

Elcohaulic, bchctybob, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  20. Slopok

Slopok

Everyone raced on Sunday, you had to WIN! "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday".

loudbang, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

Still is.....;)

loudbang likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You bypassed the Jenkins/Stahl wars.

mad mikey likes this.
  23. 6sally6

6sally6

Original poster NEVER put up a picture. :( Shucks!
    I got my license in a big 63 Gal. (First new car my Dad ever owned)
    This one came with the "Thunderbird style roof"
    That was a big day going to pick it up from the Ford dealer (in Honea Path, SC!) and bringing it home.
    It came with the 'romp'in-stomp'in 260' with the Cruise-O-Matic 3 speed.:eek:
    Also got my first "home-run" in that big tank. :)
    One of my buddies in high school got to drive his Dad's 63 1/2 on special occasions. 427 dual quads 4 speed. His Dad had separate switches to turn off the tail lights and brake lights. (Guess how his Dad made his$$$ to buy this car and finance his drag car and never actually worked a 'regular job'!? Think Thunder Road....)
    Those Big Gals bring back a lot of memories!
    White with blue interior. First thing Dad did was put on a set of those "cool" Finger hut clear plastic seat covers....the ones with the bumps all over them.
    I once said my girl friends behind looked like she had the measles after laying down on those old seat covers!!!:cool:
    Great old car......absolutely bullet-proof!! Any who..sure hope he posts a picture!
    6sally6

tommyd and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  24. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were a few winning '62 406s, but our local Dick Brannan who worked for and was sponsored by Romy Hammes Ford in South Bend IN had the quickest. Ford was so impressed they hired Dick, who next built the first the 63 1/2 427 lightweight Galaxie on the '62 chassis, and then helped bring the '64 T-Bolts to production.

Joe Travers, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I was under the notion that Lightweight '63-1/2 were built on the 63 "Ford 300" chassis....AND
    also, while i am at it... the 406 was never really a " race motor" because factories couldnt be involved in racing until one of the henrys decided in late '62 he was sick of seeing "Fords" (dealership sponsored/ farmer built cars) lose on the track. The 428 c.i. limit was in place in 63 so as timing would have it here comes Ford in a sleek, low, fastback, 427c.i monster. This of course made mopar wake up and start making ugly fast cars (just my opinion). So all in all 406 is a killer engine and i will have one in my boxtop eventually, maybe this one if the o.p is scared of an oil drip or two...

loudbang likes this.
  26. finn

finn

The first lightweights were 62 cars rebodied with 63 body tubs and sheet metal.

There was a production run of true 63 cars later, to meet the requirements for homologation.

The return to racing started in 1960 and 61 with the introduction of the solid lifter 352/360 in 1960 and the 390/375 and 390/401.

The 62 406 was a step up, but was largely unsuccessful because of aero and durability issues on the high banks, and weight in NHRA.

Ford stepped up their efforts with the 427, including cross bolted mains (actually used on some late 406 NASCAR engines), fastback aero, and lightweights.

It was sort of a slow slide into Performance, culminating in the LeMans and Indy programs.

Then it ground to a halt and all hands on deck were assigned to safety and emissions development for ten years or more.

27. Pics?
    Leaks? .....fix em.
    I’d probably drop it in the dirt, add some Astro supremes and flake/lace the roof.

but I’m weird anyway.

the biggest profit margin is probably cleaned up as found and functional.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Joe Travers likes this.
  28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

We need pictures!

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  29. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

Here's one I paid a grand for, I actually picked up a pair but this was the cooler one. They were both 390 cars but this one had a manual trans.

100_1942.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  30. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

This was it's twin brother. They guy that owned them died and they were liquidating his cars.

100_1959.JPG

loudbang likes this.