Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who's your hamb Era DJ?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 210superair, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Johnny Dark, Kirby Scott, and cousin Brucie were some of my favorite DJ's...

2. Terry Lee on WMCK and WIXZ out of Pittsburgh. No, I’m not old enough to remember him from back in the day, but I did work with him in the 80s at a station in Phoenix.

Did anyone mention Porky Chedwick yet?

dana barlow, 210superair and Deuces like this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I find it weird,when someone said,no radio in my car !!!
    Well I guess you could say I didn't have one,at least not mounted in my hot rod !
    Like nearly every one in the mid 1950s up into the late 60s had a small Transistor radio with a ear bud :D,.
    They were about the size of a pack of Camels smokes,often rolled up in your sleeve an the Camels in the other! Or just in a pocket !
    If you smoked,: No I didn't smoke ,a gal. of gas for my Hot Rod cost the same as the Camel's ,an having gas was way more cool:cool: then smokes.

The ear bud made it so you could hear it,even in the hotrod over EX,as long as I was not on it hard;Zoom zoom.
    The on air call-in dedication from your girlfriend or too her was a big thing,an fun to hear about someone you knew.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    flyin-t, 210superair, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn’t agree with you more. $.25…. Either/or. I was only making a $1.00-1.25 in HS so for me a no brainer.

5. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

X2 Porky Chedwick "Daddio of the Raddio" WAMO Pittsburgh PA. And, Terry Lee "Music For Young Lovers" WESA Charleroi PA

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  6. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

dana barlow and 210superair like this.
  7. I don't know this station, but it seems like these photos should be part of this thread. Does anyone remember this station or Bernie Schroeder?

Bernard "Bernie" Schroeder began his radio broadcasting career with WMTE 1340-AM in Manistee, Michigan in 1959. He was a 1958 graduate of Michigan State University’s broadcasting program. Bernie held many on-air positions over the years at WMTE and sister station WMTE-FM 97.7, Manistee. He became News Director in 1965 and held that position for many years. December 18, 1999 was declared "Bernie Schroeder Day" in Manistee in recognition of 40 years of service at radio station WMTE.

In 1958, WMTE 1340 AM obtained its first mobile unit: a green and white Chevrolet Brookwood station wagon. A General Electric 'Progress Line' two-way mobile radio was installed for live broadcasts. (Courtesy Photo/News Advocate)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since 1951, a local radio station, then WMTE 1340 AM, has broadcast in Manistee from what was known as "Radio Hill" near the city limits by 10th Street. After multiple ownership, location and format changes, local radio has been brought back to Manistee in the form of WMTE Coast FM 101.5. (Courtesy Photo/News Advocate)

dana barlow and 210superair like this.
  8. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

WMEX Boston, Arnie woo woo Ginsberg.

210superair likes this.
  9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John R and Hoss Allen, WLAC in Nashville Tennessee!

210superair likes this.
  10. hook00pad

hook00pad

I remember one fellow named Dewayne-The Brain-Spees, WDXR Paducah, Ky. This was from listening on my red '60 vintage Motorola 6 Transistor pocket radio.

210superair likes this.
  11. Hate to break it to you, backed up by the Detroit Free Press, but cklw was in Windsor Ontario. Granted the American and Canadian audiences could spit in the same river. The music director Rosalie Tromblay was born in my hometown, she backed many a new artist like Bob Seger, Alice Cooper, and the Guess Who helping to start their careers. All in the age of Aquarius. My favourite DJ was Dick Hildebrand, but I was just a little kid. CKLW is still on the air AM800.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  12. flyin-t

flyin-t

When I was a kid in the 60s, had my little transistor radio seemingly all the time and would switch back and forth to KHJ (Boss Radio) of KRLA. Few of the DJs I remember, Machine Gun Kelly, The Real Don Steele, Robert W. Morgan, Huggie Boy, Art Laboe, Humble Harve, Bob Eubanks, Charlie Tuna and of course Wolfman Jack and Casey Kasem. There were many more that I've forgotten and I can't remember who was on which station but they played the background music of my life. Such a great era, rock, Motown, Country, Pop, they played everything.

210superair and dana barlow like this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, Cousin Brucie...Bruce Morrow, 77 WABC, New York City:D

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  14. Wolfman Jack (late it night, when we could get him) and the guys on KISN in Portland, OR

210superair likes this.