Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical coupe quarter window install.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbon64, Dec 28, 2021.

1. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

im just about to the point of installing the rear and quarter windows in my 30 coupe. any tips or tricks on installing the gasket without getting a pucker on the corners ?

2. alchemy

alchemy

Clamp them to the glass for a month or two. Put clamps over any puckers too. Hopefully they retain their shape when the clamps come off.

Those spring loaded woodworking clamps work well.

3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I installed gasket on glass , it was in the summer time , left glass in another vehicle for few days with windows up in sun . If after Pucker still some what still exist its glass not correct original shape/size or gasket to big ,

Flathead Dave likes this.
  4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Maybe a heat gun? Soap?

5. alchemy

alchemy

Eddy, the gaskets come as a long straight run of U channel. They have no corners cast into them, so when they are installed they have a pucker at every corner. Just wrapping them around the glass and letting them sit in the sun doesn't really make them conform.

Some other tips, make sure you run a bead of black urethane in the channel before putting it on the glass on install. And, cut them slightly long as after they age a bit the joint will open up a touch. And make sure to put the joint at the top of the window.

-Brent- likes this.
  6. When I did mine I taped one end of the channel in place at the top first . Then I gently pulled lengthwise on the gasket as I wrapped it around the corners of the glass. When I got to the finish, I cut the channel to length and held the two ends in place with black tape. I made sure the tape wouldn't show when I installed the window and then the garnish moulding held everything securely in place. I did it when it was warm so the gasket would be pliant. I will try to shrink in the winter months as it cools but so far after 3 years it hasn't shown any signs of shrinkage at the gap.

Tow Truck Tom, -Brent- and loudbang like this.
  7. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Sorry for miss information, the ones I did where 32 5w, did not know"As" where different, Dennis Carpenter where the ones I used .

-Brent- likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

Well, maybe the better companies might supply a pre-formed gasket. I'll have to look into some when I do the current project's windows. Thanks.

9. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i much appreciate the replies. alcemy and ol blue's suggestions is kinda the route i was thinking . start at the top and do a little bit of stretch as i go using urethane to keep it in place. maybe use clamps at the pucker point to flatten it out a bit.

10. 5window

5window

My '31 is chopped, so everything was weird. I had the "professionally installed by a moonlighting glass guy and I think they're done with sealant. Worked fine except for a slight crack in the driver's side, which, I am told, is not uncommon with door closures. Covered up the crack with a HAMB decal and it hasn't gotten bigger in s0years.

-Brent- likes this.
  11. -Brent-

-Brent-

@5window did you use laminate glass?

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Using super glue to glue the two ends of the weatherstrip together once fitted to the glass works extremely well. We had O ring kits at work to make our own custom sized O rings, and they were glued at the ends with super glue. I tried it on weatherstrip ends and it worked just as well. But need the ends cut super straight, and clean with a razor blade, or razor knife.
    I just put the weatherstrip around the glass, and then cut it slightly long. Then apply the super glue and stick the ends together while it's on the glass.

clem and 5window like this.
  13. 5window

5window

Yes, but not sure if there's a decal on it-it was used in the car-body already chopped when I bought it-but Ill check or you.