Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 63 Imperial Hood cable Broke. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41hemi, Dec 28, 2021.

1. 41hemi

41hemi

A friend has a 63 Imperial and the hood release cable has broken. I looked through the grille and can see the secondary latch and spring. That's about all. The valance panel is solid all the way across the front of the car not allowing any sight or access to the latch area. Anyone have a pic of the hood latch from the top with the hood open to give me an idea as to how to attack this issue?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Where did it brake - on the inside of the car ?

3. Squablow

Squablow

4. Squablow

Squablow

My hood hinges are messed up so I had to hold the hood open with one arm and take pics with the other, so they aren't the best pictures but you can see what's going on here, the cable connects basically just behind the hood ornament to that long arm, and the top of the arm is accessible through that slot. If the paint on the car is shit (or if you're really careful) you can probably weasel a thin but strong metal putty knife in there and just push the lever over to the driver's side and the hood should release. Of course if the mechanism is rusted and that's why the cable broke, it'll take more muscle than that, but it's not the worst.

5. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Can't recall the make, but when everyone else was stumped, I raised the car on the lift and was able get the proper angle. Working vertically from under, I could move the latch. ( bring light )

VANDENPLAS, 41hemi and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. 41hemi

41hemi

Thank you to all for the responses especially
    Squablow ! The pictures are worth a thousand words. I'm gonna make a metal hook to slide between the hood and header panel to pull on the lever to get this thing open. The HAMB is great!

7. 41hemi

41hemi

Actually this car is a 1963 and the last of the first generation hemi came in the 1958 models. Imperials in 1963 were never offered with a hemi.

rockable, lothiandon1940 and das858 like this.
  8. 41hemi

41hemi

I made a little tool that works similar to a slim jim that opens doors. Made from a piece of heavy sheetmetal I cut and ground a hook on one end. I was able to slip this between the hood and front header and catch the release lever with the hook. Pulled on it and voila the hood released!! Could not have done it without the picture from Squablow! Cable broke right where the set screw locks down on it so we were able to cut 1/2" off the outer cable housing and reattach everything just like factory. Thank you to all and Happy New Year!!

9. Squablow

Squablow

Sweet, good update. Glad I could help.

41hemi, leon bee and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. When that happened to my’49 Olds, I moved the pull handle to behind the grill. You can find a good cable maker near any airport. The shorter cable pulled much easier. Good luck.

lothiandon1940 likes this.