Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What does ur car run in the quarter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Thats a real Hotrod :cool:

down-the-road and loudbang like this.
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Mine is something long me 27 mins ! Never tried the 1/4 mile thing in the 32 . But it looks like there are some FAST members on here

loudbang likes this.
  3. perk03

perk03
    from VA

I would have o use a calendar to time my truck!:(

mrspeedyt and buick bill like this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have lived within 5 miles of Fremont Drag strip for 62 years. had 2 OT muscle cars and an axled 56 Chevy Bel Air back in the late 70's-early 80's but the only car I ever ran at the track was a Datsun. I went 17.7 @77 MPH and shifted that little bugger at 7,000 RPM's.

they had drags there every Wednesday night for as long as I can remember.

I need to borrow Mr. Peabodie's Way-Back machine and give it another shot.

loudbang and pitman like this.
  5. For nearly anyone reading this all it takes is healthy credit.
    "speed costs money how fast do you want to go." :rolleyes:

I cannot compete with this crowd for 2 reasons (or more but lets stick with 2 and not burn too much band width). One is that I do not save time slips so no time slip to show. The other is that I do not have a running car and my last was no where near fast enough, best I ever got out of that 4,000 lb brick was low 12s.

loudbang and olscrounger like this.
  6. pitman

pitman

Err. W/a 12 cyl Fruhauph?

loudbang likes this.
  7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use a calendar to time mine....
    I'll get back to you in February

pitman and loudbang like this.
  8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

If I believe t.v. shows mine should run in the 9 second range. Reality says low 12 second range.

loudbang likes this.
  9. The yellow one has never seen a drag strip. But this one ran a best of 11.14 @ 123.87 at legal NHRA weight. 10.86 with the ballast removed.

[​IMG]

10. no this old heap. Just an aging parts hauler. LOL

[​IMG]

chevy57dude, loudbang, raven and 2 others like this.
  11. das858

das858

5.71 @124 in the 1/8th 20190817_140300.jpg

12. Posting this one for my pal Randy. So far has run a 9.64 but he hopes to see low 9s this year. 4 spd, manual injected on gas, no electronics. 55050.jpeg

13. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

its not fair to compare a buick to those other mtrs !!

14. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i used to pull low 9s with my 51 but the kids kept falling out of the back ! hpqscan0001.JPG 283 p/g

mrspeedyt and 49ratfink like this.
  15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

As soon as I read the thread title I couldn't help but think of when the driver, James Taylor was asked in the movie Two Lane Blacktop how fast does it go? he said that depends on who's around. $T2eC16ZHJIQE9qUHuD6wBQw4Eih2Vw~~60_57.jpg

slayer, chevy3755, mrspeedyt and 5 others like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I guess there is no such thing as comparison of modern day builds to us old guys that built our hot rods and cars for our drag racing fix. As the years go by, even back then, there were always new things that could be done to any motor for more power. As much as our 671 was a newly modified supercharger on a full blower spec 292 c.i. motor, it qualified for the street legal C/Gas Class hot rod group. (Not gassers, but Gas Coupe and Sedan Classes.)

Our 1958 Chevy Impala was fast for a stock 348 factory car. But, within a year, 1959, it was not as fast as the latest 348 Chevy motors/4 speed transmissions coming out of Detroit. Even if we went to a new car, within two years, even the latest from Chevrolet was obsolete with the introduction of the 409. So, by 1961 late, the stock car flurry was evident and the drag racing classes started going toward individuals sponsored by the factory and then it became the demise of “stock car racing” for the average person.

So, what my brother and I did was to start our hot rod build with a lightweight chassis and the most reliable/powerful motor/driveline we could get for our modifications. A lightweight Willys Coupe and a 283 to 292 c.i. full race motor, with a 671. This classification was within reach of our budget and we took to it like bees on flowers.

Jnaki

Our times at the end of our hot rod/drag race/street legal coupe era were within .45 sec of the National Record for C/Gas at 12.60 e.t. But, even then, comparison to any modern hot rod build is not reality. The modern builds are just that much better with the latest technology, despite the copying of the era style of the build.
    upload_2022-1-11_4-25-49.png
    Your hot rod is rather cool looking, but it is in the time period after 1960. That is when the Moon Tanks were forced out of the cabin and mandated to be moved to the trunk or in front. Sorry, if we started the safety ruling, but for the drags, the front mount was ok. For the street, it is a nightmare waiting to happen on any front end collision or bumper tag.
    upload_2022-1-11_4-26-26.png
    This was the story from the August 13, 1960 edition after reporting our 1940 Willys Coupe, fire closure of Lion’s Dragstrip. But, it was meant for drag racing cars not street driven daily drivers. By the time this started to get some play, the competition end of the street legal classes started to change for the worse around 1965.

Your coupe would be in a Little Eliminator Class as the Gas Coupe Class was no longer separate. This started in 1965 and eventually those competitors disappeared altogether as a class. YRMV

lurker mick likes this.
  17. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i haven’t dragged in almost fifty years.

18. Jr. Fueler

Jr. Fueler

19. The 33 pickup ran high 12's in the quarter with zero traction. Have old camcorder video somewhere where you just hear it squealing to the 1/8th mile. It was still quick enough at the time for it to cross the threshold for needing a roll bar, plus a full fendered pick is not much fun at the other end as the fenders want to pick the nose up.

33 drag 4.jpg

Taboo was a 13-14 second car with as its a peg leg rear and just was never really built to be drag raced.

259658_244206258926469_4388144_o.jpg